DirecTV notices when you disconnect the internet!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BobStokesbary

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Southern California
We planned an extensive vacation so I decided to turn off any unnecessary electrical appliances, including our internet router while we were away. We just returned and found a letter from DirecTV stating that they noticed that we were no longer connected to the internet and were "missing out on a whole world of entertainment". (Or they were missing out on monitoring our TV usage -- which would have been zero while we were gone.)

I just find it disconcerting that DirecTV monitors these things and will actually sent you a letter about how to reconnect to the internet. They must obviously want to monitor your usage. The good news is that everything still works correctly so there was no "modification" to our service. I will turn the internet connection back on since we do use some of the VOD services. But, somehow I find the letter distasteful. (Yes, I know it is a TOS issue. But, it was only a vacation.)

The whole thing seems a bit weird to me.

Actually this will become more of a common thing moving forward. Directv had a big push about 2 years ago to connect as many people to internet as possible for all the benefits however this year they've taken it a step forward. Now it's considered part of the install, they see it "as just important as the dish itself" due to all the options that are only available via internet

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

They monitor the phone line the same way...... Just don't send a notice.

eing connected to the internet is really important to DirecTV, because it enables stuff like IPPV, VOD, and the new rewind and 72-hour features, all of which are major functions.

Plus, they use your viewing habits for the nielsen/tv type ratings. They started tracking dvr recorded and watched shows a couple of years ago. You can opt out via the website.
They have been doing this for years! It was just over the phone line. Now they want the ethernet to be the main communications hub along with the fact you have many benefits by doing so.

Us techs only get paid when they ping back the broadband deca twice. It's very important or so they say. I highly doubt an 80yr old couple wants vod

Us techs only get paid when they ping back the broadband deca twice. It's very important or so they say. I highly doubt an 80yr old couple wants vod!

Well, we were connected to the internet for at least the preceding 6 to 8 months. So I am sure they had their 2 "pings".

I disconnect D*'s internet connection from time to time when the internet seems to slow. When things speed up again, I reconnect it. This was just a 7 week outage.

I'm not quite 80 yet (just 75). But, I do like getting some of the missed episodes of cable shows via VOD. So, us "old folks" do like to use VOD from time to time. :rolleyes:

That's good to hear. The majority of old people don't understand how the vod works. They all complain that time Warners vod is much easier to use

I'm still young, only 74 but as difficult as it is to fathom, I watch VOD programming as well. Everyone says TW VOD is better, and it is, it has nothing to do with being old.

I get daily emails that I'm not connected. My 768 kbps DSL service is too slow to effectively be of benefit. The email had some verbiage that stated I was getting these messages because I had opted to receive this kind of notification. The delete button works fine.. I'm concerned if I were to opt out there may be info that is of benefit. Any case these only started a few months ago and I haven't changed any of my online account options. I haven't received a letter yet.

Well , I guess they can't track me as I don't have a phone line connected and I don't have internet connected . Neither do I have a DVR. Just a plain HD receiver. So can they still track how I watch TV ?

Well , I guess they can't track me as I don't have a phone line connected and I don't have internet connected . Neither do I have a DVR. Just a plain HD receiver. So can they still track how I watch TV ?

If you had your receiver connected in either of the aforementioned manners, they'd know what you were watching and how your receiver and satellite connection were doing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)