DIRECTV Now Delivers National HD Feeds of All Four Major Broadcast Networks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

slacker9876

Professional Amatuer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 20, 2004
Spokane, WA
Isn't this "old news?"

Source Link

Press ReleaseSource: DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV Offers ABC HD in ABC's 10 Owned TV Station Markets
Tuesday January 25, 12:00 pm ET
DIRECTV Now Delivers National HD Feeds of All Four Major Broadcast Networks

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 25, 2005--DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading and fastest-growing digital television service provider, announced today that it is now offering ABC high-definition (HD) programming - that includes primetime hits such as "Desperate Housewives," "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and "Lost" - to eligible customers in the 10 markets where ABC owns television stations. With the addition of ABC HD programming, DIRECTV now offers the national HD feeds of all four major broadcast networks in select markets. As part of an overall carriage agreement with Disney ABC, DIRECTV is offering the national ABC HD feeds (WABC/New York and KABC/Los Angeles) to eligible DIRECTV customers in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh, N.C., Fresno, Calif., Flint, Mich., and Toledo, Ohio. Initially, customers in the Pacific and Mountain time zones will receive the West Coast feeds and those in the Central and Eastern times zones will receive the East Coast feeds, until local HD feeds are available in each of those markets.

"As a result of this agreement with Disney ABC, our eligible customers in ABC's Owned Television Station markets will now have a significantly expanded primetime HD programming lineup from which to choose," said Stephanie Campbell, executive vice president, Programming, DIRECTV, Inc. "The addition of ABC HD, which rounds out our broadcast network HD lineup of CBS, NBC and Fox, kicks off what will be a year of unprecedented HD programming growth at DIRECTV as we look forward to launching hundreds of HD local channels for our customers in the second half of 2005."

Customers who subscribe to the DIRECTV local channels package in ABC's Owned Television Station markets will receive this programming free of charge.

In addition to the broadcast network HD feeds, DIRECTV also offers an HD Package that includes ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater(TM), HDNet, HDNet Movies and Universal HD, and is available by subscription for $10.99 per month. ESPN2 HD will be added to the HD package later this year at no additional charge. DIRECTV customers with HD-enabled equipment can also receive HBO® HDTV and SHO® HD as part of their premium package subscriptions, as well as HD Pay Per View movies for $4.99 each (when ordered by remote).

To access DIRECTV HD programming, customers may purchase a DIRECTV-enabled high-definition set-top receiver and a single 18 x 20-inch multi-satellite dish with three LNBs. DIRECTV-enabled HD receivers and triple-LNB satellite dishes are available from authorized DIRECTV retailers, such as Circuit City and Best Buy, nationwide.

DIRECTV is the nation's leading and fastest-growing digital multichannel television service provider with more than 13.5 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc., a unit of The DIRECTV Group Inc. (NYSE:DTV - News). The DIRECTV Group is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment and broadband satellite networks and services. The DIRECTV Group is 34 percent owned by Fox Entertainment Group, which is approximately 82 percent owned by News Corporation. For more information visit www.directv.com.

Robert Mercer, (310) 726-4683

Source: DIRECTV, Inc.

NICE! Now we need PBS-HD (no reason why we don't have it yet, everyone qualifies and PBS would be happy to provide a signal), UPN-HD, WB-HD and in some area's WGN-HD.

mini1 said:
NICE! Now we need PBS-HD (no reason why we don't have it yet, everyone qualifies and PBS would be happy to provide a signal),

HOW do you figure that "everyone qualifies" for a national PBS feed? If you have been around, the ONLY people that now qualify for that feed are markets that do NOT have a local PBS station. And it makes NO difference that we are talking about an HD feed, since the current regulations make NO distinction between SD & HD qualifications.

The ONLY way that this would work would be for any local PBS station to grant waivers, which I do NOT see happening anytime soon... ;) ;)

Actually the last bill to pass for the SHIVA extension does pull out DTV from SD as separate entities. However the FCC has some time to define what are the digital "white" areas.

colofan said:
Actually the last bill to pass for the SHIVA extension does pull out DTV from SD as separate entities. However the FCC has some time to define what are the digital "white" areas.

But I understand that is ONLY for the big 4 networks - PBS would NOT qualify for this...

I qualify for Fox distants, would I be able to get FOXHD if I switch to D* without getting a waiver from my no good ,Nexstar owned, local Fox?

I have alot of money invested in E* equipment, but I'm getting desperate to watch the races in HD.

dishrich said:
HOW do you figure that "everyone qualifies" for a national PBS feed? If you have been around, the ONLY people that now qualify for that feed are markets that do NOT have a local PBS station. And it makes NO difference that we are talking about an HD feed, since the current regulations make NO distinction between SD & HD qualifications.

The ONLY way that this would work would be for any local PBS station to grant waivers, which I do NOT see happening anytime soon... ;) ;)
Everyone would qualify because every single PBS station in the county is in somehow owned and operated by national PBS. Everyone qualifies for SD, and everyone would qualify for HD.

mini1 said:
Everyone would qualify because every single PBS station in the county is in somehow owned and operated by national PBS. Everyone qualifies for SD, and everyone would qualify for HD.

Come again, how do you figure. I worked at a PBS station (actually two) at one of our state schools and the stations were owned by the state, not PBS.

PBS is just a network that supplies programming, it's up the stations to take it or leave it.

rad said:
Come again, how do you figure. I worked at a PBS station (actually two) at one of our state schools and the stations were owned by the state, not PBS.

PBS is just a network that supplies programming, it's up the stations to take it or leave it.

You got that right, I have been bird doggin' my local Dallas affiliate to get more episodes of Steve Raichlen's BBQ University (that show is awesome!), but I keep getting the cold shoulder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)