Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I was watching the free 10 min preview of dolphin tale that was downloaded on to my DVR and noticed that it's not in the normal 5.1 surround. Instead my system is pulling it in Dobily PLII 7.1 Surround. Normaly my system pulls this up with HD blurays that are in 7.1 Dobily True HD. I hope this is a new trend as 7.1 surround is much better than 5.1.

If your receiver is displaying Dolby PLII, it is not coming from Direct. Your receiver is applying it.

S~

I'll have to check that out. But I would rather them max out the quality in 5.1 instead of adding 2 channels into the mix, but that's just me.

I did notice a Cinemax movie was in DD EX 6.1 if I recall the other day.

If your receiver is displaying Dolby PLII, it is not coming from Direct. Your receiver is applying it.

S~

My reciver decodes what ever direct sends to it IE: native audio. If its getting 7.1 from my HR24. its not the reciver that's applying it, it just decodes what is passed to it.

Directv doesn't send PLII. It sends either PCM (2channel) or DD.

S~

I beg to differ, when ever its two channel, it shows up as two channel stereo... when its dobily digital, it shows up as dobily digital... this is the first time I have seen it decode as PLII. No settings have been changed, nor has the setup. Why would all of a sudden PLII show up. In fact there was the other poster here who said they were getting Doby Digital EX off of Cinemax. I personally would like the additional audio as it enhances the experience.

Just watched the preview. It is being sent as 2 channel digital. PLII is being applied by the receiver to simulate 5.1 or 7.1 depending on what flavor of pro-logic your receiver has.

S~

Yepp. A good for instance:

I hate the way stereo channels sound, because the center channel is not used. I swap the AVR over to PLII Movie, BOOM, surround sound :)

Not saying it's not a great feature. I use all the time when stuff is being broadcast monaural or in stereo. It's just not used in broadcasting. It's mainly used in AV receivers, very few TVs, and very few BD players.

S~

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts