Directv now issuing out right lies about HDLITE

Status
Please reply by conversation.
tdillon said:
I think that too many people are viewing MPEG4 as the solution to the bandwidth issue. It won't be. MPEG4 allows for MORE COMPRESSION of signal, which does NOT equate to better picture quality. Yes, the compression algorithms appear to many as being better than MPEG2, but in the end it is still a huge compromise of signal quality.

True but you can over compress any algorithm. it is possible for D* to over compress the mpeg4 stream but why would they? at best I would expect for them to keep the PQ where it is now not make it worse.

tdillon said:
I think that too many people are viewing MPEG4 as the solution to the bandwidth issue. It won't be. MPEG4 allows for MORE COMPRESSION of signal, which does NOT equate to better picture quality. Yes, the compression algorithms appear to many as being better than MPEG2, but in the end it is still a huge compromise of signal quality.
I beg to differ with you on this topic. It is known that MPEG4 allows double the bits, in half the bandwidth. The only MPEG4 video I have ever seen is on my PSP which has a 4.5" screen vs. where I would like to see it on my 55" screen in my living room. However, based upon the capacity of UMD media and screen size I think it is safe to say that MPEG4 will certainly help with the problem. My PSP displays a better picture than the Denon DVD-1910 player.

Let me qualify this next statement by saying if you do not own a TV 42" or larger ... this does not apply to you. The PQ improvements on SD programming in the last two weeks, first noted by cr0mag here, are stunning. I have not seen the majority of the channels I watch look as good as this in the last 3 years. When the explosions rocked London my local DTV NBC affiliate was carrying MSNBC ... oddly enough the D* MSNBC was a far better picture than the local DTV NBC affiliate was transmitting. This has never been the case.

Back to my point, MPEG4 will help, 3 new satellites will also help. D* will decompress the HD lineup once full operational levels are reached. Remember how good the NFL ST games in HD were last year. This was at the expense of the other HD channels, but the games were as clean as OTA signals. If D* were to opt to piddle their billion dollars in bandwidth (the new birds) they will sign their own death warrant, and i would not look for that to be happening from the LEADING innovator in multi-channel providers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts