directv ondemand doesn't work

Status
Please reply by conversation.
when i choose the Olympics on demand i get a message that i'm not subscribed. i have all the channels. premium package with sports package all the movie packages. so i don't get why i have this error. also a bit off topic, i have the sports pack and yet some of the FSN's show the same message. is this right?

Oh wow, that sucks.... I assumed we got Olympics On Demand for free as part of the Premier package too. I hadn't tried it yet since I am not into it enough for the qualifying stuff but I was really looking forward to it when the actual Olympics start. What crap if we don't get it free with our level of package.

The FSN issue you are having might during blackout times. I have seen that too. I am not a very big sports fan, (hockey and football I do like, and some Olympic events, but not baseball, hoops, Nascar) but I have taken the time to go one by one through al the sports channels to see what I get and what works. There are a lot of games blacked out. They want us to subscribe to Sunday Ticket, Center Ice, Nascar in Car, etc.... sorry, not going to do that.

I have Preimer and just got into the DoD Olypmics channel and was able to dlwoload a program.

i tried any of the downloads and i got the same message even on nbc stuff. message ( to add channel to subscription call bla bla) what is wrong? could it be that i currently have only one line going to the dvr? i haven't had a chance to add the 2nd line. i'm also considering just buying the new swm lnb.

i tried any of the downloads and i got the same message even on nbc stuff. message ( to add channel to subscription call bla bla) what is wrong?

Don't know, you could trying calling DirecTV and ask them. Maybe you have to have some specific programming package, normally if you get the channel via satellite you get the DoD channel. However this isn't a 'regular' channel, maybe you need something special, I have Premeir and the HD Extra package, maybe since Universal HD is in that the Olympics DoD is a requirement for that????

Don't know, you could trying calling DirecTV and ask them. Maybe you have to have some specific programming package, normally if you get the channel via satellite you get the DoD channel. However this isn't a 'regular' channel, maybe you need something special, I have Premeir and the HD Extra package, maybe since Universal HD is in that the Olympics DoD is a requirement for that????

i have your exact package. i just emailed them. also i get the subscription error on the xm radio channels. weird!

Just get another 4 port Ethernet hub for $15 at Office Depot and daisy chain it (not the upload port, one of the numbered ports) or get a bigger switch. If you daisy chain, put the least active devices on the daisy chained hub or switch.

Enjoy DirecTV On Demand

I suspected as much. I already have one wired port in the same room ... but it is my most active device.

Will have to wait until my daughter moves out in late August.

I suspected as much. I already have one wired port in the same room ... but it is my most active device.

Will have to wait until my daughter moves out in late August.

For the price of switches now ($20-$30) I'd try it anyway. Downloading a SD DoD program would probably add only 3->4Mbps download bandwidth, if you're running a 100Mbps switched network in your house that should be a drop in the bucket.

The D* site suggests that I would need to purchase two of their $25 Internet Connection kits to use DoD. This is when I'm logged into my account and check on available hardware upgrades. However on the same site, they have a Flash installation "video" which shows someone connecting directing to their router without using the Internet kit.

With an HR21, do you need the kit?

For the price of switches now ($20-$30) I'd try it anyway. Downloading a SD DoD program would probably add only 3->4Mbps download bandwidth, if you're running a 100Mbps switched network in your house that should be a drop in the bucket.

I'll probably give it a try. Although about 95% of my interest would be in HD material. Is there anyway to browse their offerings to see how much HD stuff is available?

I've got a Linksys wireless router (connected to road runner cable modem) which also has 4 wired ports. One of the 4 wired ports is connected via an Ethernet cable to the Ethernet jack on the back of my HR20. Works perfectly.

my online demand is finally working! i sent D an email and they fixed it. it's great D can resolve these issues over email. i love it!

Last edited:
I'll probably give it a try. Although about 95% of my interest would be in HD material. Is there anyway to browse their offerings to see how much HD stuff is available?

AFAIK, only once you get DoD up and running, go to channel 1000 and there is a catagory for HD programs only.

Hooked up a switch, connected to the top Ethernet port on the HR21, ran the network test and passed. Then turned it off and pulled the plug for 30 seconds. Powered back up and Direct on Demand was up and running.

Thanks for the assistance.

Today I was told to connect every installed HRXX product I can to the Internet on the top port so the customer can enjoy DoD service.:)

Glad I saw this. I never heard about this and will try to hook in tonight.

Any predictions on whether I'll get up and running at an acceptable speed?

I'll have VZ DSL, a wireless router and a bridge (Prob -B version) connected to the STB.

Does the wireless ethernet seem to work okay for most of y'all?

I've got a question on this. D* says it's best to use a hard wired connection rather than wireless. But ... with a 3.0Mbps DSL connection, and a 54Mbps wireless connection, the wireless will never be anything close to slower than the DSL connection itself. Wired would be no faster than wireless. So why the need for hard wired? I see that the dvr itself does not support wireless and would have to be connected to a wireless access point at the least. But that is still wireless, not hard-wired. What am I missing in their statement that hard-wired is best?

I've been having a problem connecting to the VOD system.I have Comcast Internet,a Dynex EHB4 Hub (direct wired) router.I finally got it connected to the internet.When my HR21 is connected to the network & internet the computer loses its connection to the internet.And if I reboot the computer,the computer works and the HR21 loses its connection "Cannot connect to the NetworK (12) " next to the Internet heading.I cannot get them both connected to the internet at the same time through the router.
The VOD service will work if its connected directly to my modem.
Any thought ?
Thanks

I've been having a problem connecting to the VOD system.I have Comcast Internet,a Dynex EHB4 Hub (direct wired) router.I finally got it connected to the internet.When my HR21 is connected to the network & internet the computer loses its connection to the internet.And if I reboot the computer,the computer works and the HR21 loses its connection "Cannot connect to the NetworK (12) " next to the Internet heading.I cannot get them both connected to the internet at the same time through the router.
The VOD service will work if its connected directly to my modem.
Any thought ?
Thanks

Normally Comcast will allow for only one network connection to their network unless you pay extra for additional IP addresses. To get around that people purchase routers/firewalls which hide all your internal devices behind that one IP address that Comcast assigns you (Network Address Translation). Looking at what you said you have is just a simple hub that allows for multiple devices to be connected on your internal network but you're still going to be limited to the one device being able to connect to the internet. You need somelike a Linksys BEFSR41, Amazon.com: Linksys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port 10/100 Switch (BEFSR41): Electronics , that will allow for the multiple internet connections (and replaces your hub).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts