Directv or dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Honestly it's a 2nd generation iPad and if you take that they don't give you new customer promos so not only do you get an iPad that's older generation but you pay full price from the start. Directv has promos with Costco, best buy and if you sign up with viggle and tell them viggle referred you, you will get 500,000 points.

You pay full price for the first year, so you get a iPad for the $300 you would have saved. Not a bad deal. I might call Directv and see if they can give me additional credits to match? Don't know if they would, but couldn't hurt to try. It's great being a "new" customer to get these savings. What kind of promos do they have with Best Buy and Costco? Could I get a better deal by getting it through either of them?

Buy the way, what's viggle?

Thanks for the Costco mention. I just canceled my original appointment for Monday, call thru the Costco linked number and signed up. My appointment is set for tomorrow and besides the new customer discounts, I'll get a $200 Costco card. I gotta say this is great being a new customer again!

Dish gives ipad 2 free with the 2 year agreement. DirecTV gives free Sunday Ticket. Both can be called a $300 value so to speak.

who cares about a dang iPad.. its a sales gimmick, plain and simple and if that is the decision making factor for your TV needs.... then......... well.......... geez nuff said..

Last edited:
After having Directv for over 9 years, I recently dumped it for Dish. It wasn't that I was dissassatisfied with Directv programming, I got tired of them increasing my bill
with "a fee for this", and "a fee for that". I've got a Hopper DVR with SlingBox in the Living Room, and a Joey in the Bedroom. I was certainly pleased with how easy it
was to operate it. Nice GUI with easy to navigate menus, I liked the remote too! Although I didn't have the latest Directv HD Receiver, at least in my case it seems that
the HD picture quality was noticeably better on the Hopper. It would be nice to be able to "watch more" and "record more" than what is currently offered. I think I can
record 2 and watch 1 if I remember right. I'm paying $65 for my current service for 12 months, then it goes up to $90.00. All in all, I'm very satisfied with Dish so far.
I'm not into Sports which Directv had allot of. I enjoy the larger selection of movie channels that Dish has. Anyway, good luck in making your decision.

Last edited:
got tired of them (DirecTV) increasing my bill with "a fee for this", and "a fee for that" ....???????????/ did you really do ANY reading about Dish post-promos and true channel to channel comparisons for the $$$???

Whenever a question lile this is posted, it becomes this great debate.. It is like asking who makes a better truck Ford or Chevy.. Everone has an opinion.
The ultimate decision comes down to what is best for me and my situation.. For me cable is out, and Dish and I did not part on good terms.. I lost signal when it even thought of raining ( if a dark cloud floated by it lost its mind ).
So make your decision with your head and heart, and take the opinions as suggestions.

After having Directv for over 9 years, I recently dumped it for Dish. It wasn't that I was dissassatisfied with Directv programming, I got tired of them increasing my bill
with "a fee for this", and "a fee for that". I've got a Hopper DVR with SlingBox in the Living Room, and a Joey in the Bedroom. I was certainly pleased with how easy it
was to operate it. Nice GUI with easy to navigate menus, I liked the remote too! Although I didn't have the latest Directv HD Receiver, at least in my case it seems that
the HD picture quality was noticeably better on the Hopper. It would be nice to be able to "watch more" and "record more" than what is currently offered. I think I can
record 2 and watch 1 if I remember right. I'm paying $65 for my current service for 12 months, then it goes up to $90.00. All in all, I'm very satisfied with Dish so far.
I'm not into Sports which Directv had allot of. I enjoy the larger selection of movie channels that Dish has. Anyway, good luck in making your decision.

Good luck with that move over fees.
Many move TO D* because DISH 's constant raising fees.

Also, if you look at the Movie Channels currently available, D* is actually doing a bit better now after lagging behind for so long.

All depends on which channels you were looking for.

My take having both systems.

If sports is your thing. You live
Outside your sports team home

Direc hands down.

If your not a sports nut

Dish network.

Both really good services.

Whenever a question lile this is posted, it becomes this great debate.. It is like asking who makes a better truck Ford or Chevy.. Everone has an opinion.
The ultimate decision comes down to what is best for me and my situation.. For me cable is out, and Dish and I did not part on good terms.. I lost signal when it even thought of raining ( if a dark cloud floated by it lost its mind ).
So make your decision with your head and heart, and take the opinions as suggestions.

Well then it's easy, Ford is the better truck...

BTW, since the new Genie has 5 tuners, does that mean I'll need 5 cables to it? Like my DVR two years ago needed two?

Well then it's easy, Ford is the better truck...

BTW, since the new Genie has 5 tuners, does that mean I'll need 5 cables to it? Like my DVR two years ago needed two?

Nope..Just one coax coming into the house going into a splitter going out to the different rooms...

I'm not a truck guy.....

I've had both, and prefer Directv. Not saying Dish is a bad choice at all. Basically both have great equipment, so you just need to see what programming you want, and see which service provides the best price for you.

Yea, I have them coming out today 12-4 but its gonna rain this afternoon, so well see. Down in south Florida, they shouldn't schedule afternoon slots because it rains everyday afternoon. This was a easy decision since I went thru the Costco link and will receive a $200 Costco gift card. You don't even have to be a Costco member for this benefit which is totally wierd.

with "a fee for this", and "a fee for that".

:facepalm

(And I'm a happy Dish subscriber)

with "a fee for this", and "a fee for that".

There is a contest between the airlines, the cell phone companies, and the cable/sat companies to see who can have the longest/craziest list of "fees" (which are really nothing more than different misspellings of "we wanted to make more $$ fee"). I find all of them to be insulting to me the consumer.... just name the total @#%@#% price and call it the "price" :)

got tired of them (DirecTV) increasing my bill with "a fee for this", and "a fee for that" ....???????????/ did you really do ANY reading about Dish post-promos and true channel to channel comparisons for the $$$???

I'm not saying that DISH isn't capable of increasing their rates (just like DIRECTV did). Yes, the INTRO rates are only TEASER rates and one has to fully consider what the end result will be of the 24 month agreement. To me, saving $300 during the first year was appealing. I only watch a small amount of what DISH and DIRECTV has to offer. So, as long as the service I choose has my favorite channels (less than 5), I'm satisfied. I live in an area of SoCal where it's impossible to get HDTV over the air. If I could get HDTV over the air, that would be all I would ever need. I love my FTA system (Ku Band). I spend 90% of my TV time watching FTA. To further expand my channel capability, I just purchased a BUD and I'll be going C-Band. Like others have said, It depends on what you want. If you watch allot of TV, then naturally one would be much more critical on insuring they were getting what they wanted as far a channel lineup and cost per service goes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts