Directv pay

Status
Please reply by conversation.
we are to call and get permission before install but our CSR's are suppose to have this worked out for us before we go to the site and they will not it on our paperwork.

I also sub for an HSP (Really Sub of a Sub) Being a independant contractor i buy all materials except the recievers, dishes and switches. we had a pay cut down here in Texas as well. I use to get 65 for a 1 IRD install and 20$ for each additional IRD after that , so a 4 IRD would be125$ And service calls,Upgrades were 25$ . Now the paycut a 4IRD 110$ and service calls,Upgrades 20$ . I calculate an average of 300$ a week less then what i use to make , Thats 1200$ a month! Now as i also pay for insurance, i do charge cust for phone line installs. If the phone jack is within 25 ft no charge to the cust. I have talked to some inhouse techs that make 40$ for a 1 IRD install but they have the materials, van, gas,insurance,and tools provided. i am now making less per job than the inhouse techs if you add it all up. What sucks is that there is probably going to be another paycut soon in the future. If Hsp`s want just to phase out contractors they are going about it the right way. If they are not trying to phase out contractors and keep cutting the pay than the only contractors willing to work at such a low rate are the one`s I would not want in my house to do an install. I can see it now, a customer calling directv and complaining that the tech told me to hold his beer while he kissed my wife. Why get certified. Thats another thing, you go and take classes to get certified and learn more about the job you enjoy doing. Wanting to succeed in your profession. hoping that the reward would be an increase in pay, definately not a decrease. Verizon, Sbc techs get paid a good amount to install phone lines both companies charge the cust an average 90$ per HR. for phone installs. I think what we the techs inhouse or contract who do work for Hsp or even Msp, should start a union to prevent Directv (HSP,MSP) from having techs work for free, like putting in phone lines at our expence. And definately help in preventing Paycutts. I always have been a believer in, that you get what you pay for. quality work is not cheap.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that one day satellite techs who work for HSP and soon MSP will be getting paid hourly starting at min wage, and it will be like the cable companies. If you work for a cable co. they provide everything (if you are inhouse) even medical and dental. I think Hsp companies are wanting to go the same direction as the cable companies do with there employees.

Or better yet ,if they can get contractors to work cheaper than inhouse techs and the contractor still has to provide his /her own medical/dental and all others ect. than the Hsp is making a huge profit .

stevo/65 said:
I have a feeling that one day satellite techs who work for HSP and soon MSP will be getting paid hourly starting at min wage, and it will be like the cable companies. If you work for a cable co. they provide everything (if you are inhouse) even medical and dental. I think Hsp companies are wanting to go the same direction as the cable companies do with there employees.

stevo,

why would you think directv would ever go totally in house?

they wont, some reasons:

workers comp
unemployment comp
insurance
liability exposure
fuel
employee theft

here in pittsburgh, the largest cableco in america, comcast uses TWO contractors, baker installations and PCS installs. that is on top of their fleet. directv and dish will always have contractors, independents and retailers.

I dont forsee us contractors being snubbed out either.....big reason here in the Lehigh valley area is that from what I "hear" is that the in house techs have such a high turn over rate its unreal....

Im satisfied on the money I make doing installs and such as well as my sidework with plasmas, lcds, media rooms, and the like.

Dragon.....anxiously awaiting your PM :up

str8poolbanger said:
I dont forsee us contractors being snubbed out either.....big reason here in the Lehigh valley area is that from what I "hear" is that the in house techs have such a high turn over rate its unreal....

Im satisfied on the money I make doing installs and such as well as my sidework with plasmas, lcds, media rooms, and the like.

Dragon.....anxiously awaiting your PM :up

sorry dude ,, what pm?

Dragon, you don't EVER fish wire? WOW!!! My installer had no problem doing it he just wanted to be paid.

As for phone hookups, WHY would a install company require phone hookups? I haven't had a POTS in over three years. If the company had told me that I had to have one I would have told them to KMA.

scotsmanron said:
Dragon, you don't EVER fish wire? WOW!!! My installer had no problem doing it he just wanted to be paid.

As for phone hookups, WHY would a install company require phone hookups? I haven't had a POTS in over three years. If the company had told me that I had to have one I would have told them to KMA.

I think DTV said something to our company about the phone line has to be hooked up from now on.

When we do the install they have to be hooked up and after 72 hours the customer can unhook them in the letter we got.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)