DirecTV picture not as good as expected...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnm356

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
I've just invested in a 42" Sony Wega LCD, and a Sony 6.1 Home Theater system. Wanting to get the most out of it, I also just bought the DirecTV service.

After having it installed for a few days now, I have to say I'm not completely happy with the picture quality from the dish. DVD's are flawless but the satellite picture is a little fuzzy, almost with a second "ghost" image hovering just to the right of each image. All cables were installed new and no other A/V equipment is involved - cable goes directly from the dish to the receiver to the TV...

I investigated another thread titled "Poor SD Picture Quality" and ran across a good tip: "Sounds like electrical hum, induced into your cabling by being placed next to electrical wiring. Check your runs to make sure they are not running alongside any ac wiring, anywhere."

I'll be checking this as soon as I'm done posting here... but I have a much more important question to ask regarding dish installation.

The dish was mounted on the side of my house in close proximity to my 200-amp electrical service. So close in fact, that the dish points directly over the vertical service cable running down my house. The dish is mounted pointing almost perpendicular to the outside wall (at about an 85' angle), and the left edge of the dish is only about 3" away from the service cable drop.

My question is; can the EMF generated by the electrical service interfere with the satellite signal reception?

In other words, should I consider moving the dish??

Thanks in advance...

[satellite noob]

We're going to need some clarification here...

Firstly... what model DirecTV receiver do you have the problem with.

Secondly... what type of video connection are you using from the receiver to the TV? (COAX, S-Video, HDMI, etc.)

riggscm said:
We're going to need some clarification here...

Firstly... what model DirecTV receiver do you have the problem with.

Secondly... what type of video connection are you using from the receiver to the TV? (COAX, S-Video, HDMI, etc.)

The receiver is a DirecTV #D10-300 (by Philips)
The connection I'm currently using is coax from the receiver to the TV - I bought a Monster gold S-Video cable to try that at first, but the picture quality actually got worse - lots of stray digital "pixels" on the screen... go figure.

to have the best picture you need to use the best cable type....

here they are in order from worst to best.

1. coax - rg6
2. composite video - single cable yellow connector
3. s-video - kinda looks like a mouse conecter from your computer
4. componet video - 3 cables red-blue-green connectors
5. DVI - thin rectangle connector with several pins.
6. HDMI - almost flat conector

Only the 1st and 6th in this list carry an audio signal. So if you are using 2-5 you will need another cable for your audio signal.

The best for you will be the highest number in the list that both your TV and Recevier have. There are a DVI to HDMI cables out there but they also will not supply the audio.

hope this helps!

Is that Sony LCD an HDTV or EDTV? If its an HDTV, you will need an HD receiver if you want to get a picture that looks as good as your DVDs. The D-10 is not an HD receiver. You will need the H10 or comparable model.

no to stir up the pot, but why would you consider HDMI and DVI to better than component in terms of pic quality?

"....to have the best picture you need to use the best cable type...."

I already have all new RG6 cable run everywhere.

"....Is that Sony LCD an HDTV or EDTV?...."

Yes, the Sony is HD capable, but I do not have the DirecTV HD service.
I have the basic digital package - which should still look better than analog cable, yes?

I'm still looking for an answer to:
Can the EMF generated by the electrical service interfere with the satellite signal reception? In other words, should I consider moving the dish??

TIA

Both are digital connections. Component is an analog connection. For a digital TV set like Plasma, DLP, LCD, HDMI or DVI would be the best connection.

Welcome to Satelliteguys John!! :welcome

johnm356 said:
Yes, the Sony is HD capable, but I do not have the DirecTV HD service. I have the basic digital package - which should still look better than analog cable, yes?

I'm still looking for an answer to:
Can the EMF generated by the electrical service interfere with the satellite signal reception? In other words, should I consider moving the dish??

TIA

No, and No,

The SD service from D* might not look any better than analog cable, especially if your anolog cable is of good quality. Analog cable can look very good when done properly, but the quality will vary from house to house depending on wiring and how far you are from the "head end". The MPEG2 from D* will be more consistent in terms of quality, but due to over compression, the image suffers greatly, especially when viewing on an HDTV.

About the EMF issue: I have had my cable service, my OTA antenna, and my dish cables all run near my electrical service with no interference. If you are using good quality RG-6, it shouldn't be affected by the EMF.

You have invested in a good HDTV, if you want to "get the most out of it", go a little further and get HD service.

It is not an EMF issue with your dish,or issue with your RG6. This is another typical situation of someone using an HDTV with a non HD non progressive scan signal. I hear about it all the time at work. Generally these TVs do a poor job in that area.The bigger the screen the worse it is. Some brands do better than others. If you like a 42" LCD screen but do not want to upgrade to HD service ,might want to go exchange that SONY and try the Panasonic 42" LCD . Reports from customers where I work is that it does a wonderful job with non HD programming compared to most. Best however,would be Upgrade to the Direct TV HD hardware and service,connect with either component or HDMI,your Sony should look beautiful.

zionzr2 said:
to have the best picture you need to use the best cable type....

here they are in order from worst to best.

1. coax - rg6
2. composite video - single cable yellow connector
3. s-video - kinda looks like a mouse conecter from your computer
4. componet video - 3 cables red-blue-green connectors
5. DVI - thin rectangle connector with several pins.
6. HDMI - almost flat conector

Only the 1st and 6th in this list carry an audio signal. So if you are using 2-5 you will need another cable for your audio signal.

The best for you will be the highest number in the list that both your TV and Recevier have. There are a DVI to HDMI cables out there but they also will not supply the audio.

hope this helps!

Thanks for this info, what is the order for Audio cables? Is the Optic cable the best?

shramj said:
Thanks for this info, what is the order for Audio cables? Is the Optic cable the best?

Actually if digital coax is an option, that is the best, then optical. Either will transfer the Dolby Digital signal if available from the broadcast and most will not hear a difference.

billbillw said:
Actually if digital coax is an option, that is the best, then optical. Either will transfer the Dolby Digital signal if available from the broadcast and most will not hear a difference.

I wouldn't call COAX better by any means. They are both transferring a digital signal. It's all preference. In fact, I'd be willing to bet no one could hear a difference at all (at lest not a real difference.)

In reality both would work fine. COAX usually fits a bit better, but is more susecptible to interference then optical (especially over distance), but optical (by nature) is more fragile and usually doesn't seat as well.

Either would be fine, just a matter of preference is all.

JeffreyDJ said:
I wouldn't call COAX better by any means. They are both transferring a digital signal. It's all preference. In fact, I'd be willing to bet no one could hear a difference at all (at lest not a real difference.)

In reality both would work fine. COAX usually fits a bit better, but is more susecptible to interference then optical (especially over distance), but optical (by nature) is more fragile and usually doesn't seat as well.

Either would be fine, just a matter of preference is all.

Many studies have shown that optical connections are more suseptible to jitter. Interference is not a problem with coax unless you are using a very, very cheap cable.

That aside, the reason I put coax ahead is because of the stronger, more reliable connection. I did said that most would not hear a difference in sound quality.

Well call it even. Jitter won't be an issue with a good quality optical cable. I guess my point was, most people agree they're about equal. :)

Cyre said:
no to stir up the pot, but why would you consider HDMI and DVI to better than component in terms of pic quality?
LOL! I was going to say the same thing :D

HDMI carries audio plus the DVI signaled video over a single cable. They can be wrapped in a point-to-point encyption scheme as well. But otherwise, it's same-same. In fact, if you have an HDMI TV and only have device I/O that's DVI, they make cables to do it (whether to an HTPC or DVD player).

Well to get back on track a bit...
bottom line is the better the cable connection you use the more , dare I say, "true" picture you will receive.

In reviewing the manual for the D10-300 the best video connection type I see for that receiver is S-video. I understand that you had some problems with that connection before, but I'd suggest you go back to it and begin your fine tuning.

I've also reviewed the manual for KDL42XBR950 Sony LCD Wega. I sure hope thats what you have as it was the only 42" LCD manual I could find. Anyway, I'm seeing a couple of video settings you might want to review to hopefully provide you a better picture...

Firstly, I'd suggest reviewing your MODE setting to make sure you aren't set for VIVID, but rather STANDARD. VIVID's high sharpness setting will definitely decrease your pic quality. Even if you are in STANDARD mode you may want to turn down the sharpness to about 30 or less to soften the picture.

Second...
There appears to be a Noise Reduction setting, the manual refers to this menu option as NR. I'd suggest you take a look at this and see how your picture looks if you change this to Medium or High

Finally...
I'm seeing a menu option in the manual named ADVANCED VIDEO. Under that section there is a option named DRC. You might want to take a look at this as well. There are three options you can choose from, High Dens, Progressive, and Cinemotion. Of the three I'd suggest either High Dens, or Cinemotion. The major difference that I can see is that Cinemotion has a auto reverse 3-2pulldown which may provide a cleaner picture, however that rarely helps with Sat video. I'd suggest you try both, and choose the one that works best for you.

And BTW, welcome to the world of SD video on a HD set. Its all about the tweaking and getting the picture the best you can. The other guys are right though... to really see what your set can do try upgrading to the HD services. Even though they aren't perfect, they sure beat the pants off the SD stuff.

and the true picture (sd) never looked so bad before did it? lol!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)