DirecTV picture not as good as expected...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have 2 D10's and a H10...

and heres the deal. The best connection available on the D10 is s-video to the tv. Coax works fine on my 2 regular crt sets that don't have s-video input, however, your Sony has much better ways to accept input. Now in the family room we have our 46" Sony hdtv (crtrp) and the H10 is on that set. The H10 is connected to our Sony via component cables and the HD is beautiful both OTA and D* and SD channels from D* are very, very good with many such as Speed Channel looking close to hd quality. You have a nice expensive new Sony HD tv so you should talk to D* or Valueelectronics ( see top of forum) and get the H10 box installed so you can see some HD and I'll bet your SD picture will be MUCH better also connected via component cables. There's some problems with the H10 and HDMI now so I recommend component and to tell the truth I can't see the difference on MY setup comparing component to HDMI. Good luck and once you get set up right you will be amazed at what your set can do.

I dont have HDTV just normal DirecTV Service and recently bought a D-10 Receiver from ValueElectronics, Thanks to this topic I was able to get a good picture using composite video, The image was horrible in all channels with this receiver connected to the TV using Coax, lots interference, Now after reading this thread I started using normal composite connectors for audio and video and the picture quality has improved %90 for me, even better than it used to be before with my hughes receiver and the coax cable.

Thanks for all the feedback, especially billbillw and MarkG...

Good info all around

:)

Good info all around

johnm356 said:

Good info all around

Okay...
Its not that I'm a glory hound or anything. God knows we are all in this for the same reason. We all want the best we can get out of D*.

Its just that you take the time to name two people and heck thats more then most do. I'm just feeling a lil bit slighted here. I mean I only read your receiver manual, and your TV manual. I only typed up a book to assist you in fine tuning your picture and I don't even get a honorable mention.

interesting.

riggscm said:
Okay...
I only typed up a book to assist you in fine tuning your picture and I don't even get a honorable mention.

Brutal man. I'm with you, you went WAY above and beyond. I was extremely impressed and I learned a few things from you, so this is me thanking you personally as well.
Pro

riggscm said:
ROFL!!!

Yeah sometimes that stuff can really hit the spot... but often it just causes heartburn. :D

So what did you go to Northern or something?

Nah have some family in the West Dundee area so I would always drive on 72 to get there. Had to stop every now and then for some pizza.

riggscm said:
ROFL!!!

Yeah sometimes that stuff can really hit the spot... but often it just causes heartburn. :D

So what did you go to Northern or something?
Hopefully your close enough to Chitown to get some Giordanos now and then.
My question is, and dont mean to hijack, is are there any alternatives to using coax from the dish to the receiver?

ZTaylor said:
Hopefully your close enough to Chitown to get some Giordanos now and then.
My question is, and dont mean to hijack, is are there any alternatives to using coax from the dish to the receiver?

I've had Gio's a few times... great deep dish.

But uhh regarding this whole coax thing; thats a total thread hijack. Frankly I am appauled you dare ask that question. Next time when you see people talking about pizza on a sat tv web site walk away, just walk away. J/K of course :rolleyes:

You pose a interesting question... as I understand it you are asking if you can use a different type of feed cable to get the signal to the STB. I believe the answer is no. Coax is what the LNB's send their signal down on. You could have a Media server that the Coax connects to and then have clients that use say wireless networking, or ethernet cabling to get the signal from that media server, but i believe the feed off the dish, err... LNB's must be coax. Though if I'm wrong I'm sure we'll find out soon

Thanks RiGGs, I thought that was the case. But when I read about the cables from bad to worse, I wondered why I had the worse (coax) coming out from the LNB's into the my H10.

riggscm said:
Okay...
I only typed up a book to assist you in fine tuning your picture and I don't even get a honorable mention.

interesting.

heh, sorry for the slight.... thanks to you too bro!! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)