DirecTV plans to stop marketing TIVO

Status
Please reply by conversation.
From what I've heard, yes. The fee will be $5.99/month per houshold rather you have the TiVo units the D* units or a combination of both.

no need, Hong, I believe you :)
However, I just don't see how Tivo could patent their dvr. It's essentially a time shifting device just like the VCR.

When I originally dropped my local cable company for Satellite, the only reason I chose D* over E* is because I :heart Tivo soooo much.
If it weren't for Tivo, I would have certainly chosen E* because, IMHO, E* had better programming (such as TNTHD, WB and UPN) and now they have VOOM.

I hope D* new MPEG4 HDDVR will have features that are comparable and work as well as well as my current HDTivo, if not they better add a lot more HD content fast. I don't think i'd be the only one thinking about switching to E*

------
However, I just don't see how Tivo could patent their dvr. It's essentially a time shifting device just like the VCR.
------

I think their patent is for a specific implementation, in this case, digital time-shifting. I don't care much for patents in general, but the law is such and I don't quite understand the whole point.

As for what the court thinks, we will see (how long it would take I have no idea) with the result of the Echostar / TiVo case. If TiVo loses, then that's that. If TiVo wins, they can go after others, I guess.

Hong.

------
I hope D* new MPEG4 HDDVR will have features that are comparable and work as well as well as my current HDTivo, if not they better add a lot more HD content fast. I don't think i'd be the only one thinking about switching to E*
------

I hope so too. But even if it doesn't, I guess I can stay with HR10-250 (SD and ATSC would carry me for a long time) until I can judge how the TiVo / Comcast deal turns out.

Hong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts