DirecTV poised to take on TiVo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
NEW YORK — DirecTV CEO Chase Carey sounds sincere when he says he has "no bone to pick with TiVo." But that isn't stopping him from turning the No. 1 satellite company — until recently TiVo's most important ally — into the digital video recorder (DVR) pioneer's potentially most dangerous rival.

For the first time since 2000, DirecTV has stopped encouraging its 14.7 million customers to buy receivers equipped with TiVo DVRs, which can record and pause live TV. In October, it will urge them instead to snap up units featuring a product developed in-house: the DirecTV Plus DVR. The new DVR "is at the center of a lot of DirecTV's strategies and plans," Carey says. (Related item: How DirecTV, TiVo DVR services compare)

The new DVR is designed to blend in with his company's new interactive features, including those that let users view local weather reports and maps, watch several channels simultaneously on one screen and call up a day's football highlights. It also will make it possible for DirecTV to offer pay-per-view movies on demand.

"We want to create a DirecTV experience," he says. "In the past, there've been too many variations."

DirecTV, which is controlled by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., had hoped to have its DVR on the shelves in the spring. Even now, with the company tweaking the software, Carey says that "October is not a precise date" for the launch, although he adds that he doesn't think he'll miss the target.

There's no doubt he takes this DVR offensive seriously. He plans to introduce in early 2006 a model that can record in high-definition, can instantly transfer shows to other TVs in the house and can hook up to home computer networks.

Big impact for TiVo

This DVR is a big deal for DirecTV. But it may affect TiVo even more.

About 64% of TiVo's nearly 3.3 million subscriptions are through DirecTV. The satellite service accounts for 77% of TiVo's new sales. Without DirecTV's help, TiVo's subscriber growth now "is likely to dwindle down to a trickle," says Friedman Billings Ramsey analyst Alan Bezoza. As cable companies roll out their own DVRs, "TiVo has some significant challenges ahead so it doesn't become a dinosaur."

TiVo declined to comment before its quarterly earnings report on Wednesday.

TiVo long has pointed to its DirecTV-fueled subscription numbers as evidence of its popularity. It also has said that its growing audience will entice advertisers to pay for special services, including data about subscribers' viewing habits.

So it's no surprise that TiVo's new CEO, Tom Rogers, is scrambling to interest cable operators in a deal like the one with Comcast. Beginning in late 2006, Comcast will license and offer TiVo service to customers for a premium over Comcast's in-house DVR service.

In fact, DirecTV's decision to go its own way could "pave the way for more partnerships with cable companies" looking for an edge in DVRs, First Albany Capital's Richard Baldry says in a report.

But others are less sanguine.

"It comes back to this equation: Do operators want to give up revenue (to TiVo) if they don't have to?" says Leichtman Research Group President Bruce Leichtman.

To be sure, DirecTV's D-Day won't immediately blow a hole in TiVo's income statement. Most of the $116 million in revenue TiVo recorded in the year that ended Jan. 31 came from its independent customers who pay about $12 a month, or a one-time charge of $300, for each of its 1.2 million stand-alone DVRs.

TiVo gets only about $1 a month from the $5 a month (raised in August to $6 for new customers) DirecTV charges each of its customers with a TiVo subscription.

And DirecTV isn't pulling the plug on TiVo. Current customers still will get the programming data they need to make their TiVos work. The satellite company also still will sell TiVo subscriptions to customers who ask for them.

Yet DirecTV doesn't appear to expect many takers: It stopped ordering TiVo-equipped receivers. "We have an inventory that serves our purposes," Carey says.

DirecTV's marketing muscle will be behind its new DVR. It will offer rebates enabling DirecTV subscribers to pick up receivers with its DVR virtually for free.

The rebates also will apply to TiVo-equipped models, but the older receivers don't handle DirecTV's interactive services; the new ones do.

Renewal of TiVo deal in doubt

That discrepancy raises doubts about whether DirecTV will renew its five-year contract with TiVo that expires in February 2007.

"It doesn't make sense to have a third party providing something core to our experience," Carey says, although he rules nothing out.

If the agreement is not renewed, the contract stipulates that DirecTV can continue to provide TiVo's service to customers who've been getting it without any payment to TiVo. It can no longer, however, sell new subscriptions.

For now, DirecTV will simply try to get people to switch to its DVR by touting it as faster, easier to use and more versatile than TiVo's. "(TiVo) is a great interface for watching what's been recorded," Chief Technology Officer Romulo Pontual says. But, he says, it's "not so great for live TV," because it frequently tries to switch channels to record something it thinks the viewer wants — and makes the viewer take action to stop it.

Carey blasts that as an example of TiVo's "Big Brotherish interface." He adds that DirecTV will "focus on making it easy and friendly to use and not junk it up."

DirecTV's dual-tuner receiver and DVR are supposed to work together seamlessly. For example, both use the same programming guide and on-screen menus. There's also a page with all of the information about the system that a repair person would need to know when there's a problem.

DirecTV will reserve about 60 hours' worth of disc space for its own purposes, leaving consumers space for 100 hours of shows. The DVR has an on-screen bar showing how much recording time is left.

The company will load some of its reserved space with pay-per-view movies so they're available any time viewers want. There is no charge unless they watch the flick.

DirecTV also will make available special programming, including collections of highlights from all of a day's NFL football games. During a game, viewers will be able to call up scores from other matchups, as well as player statistics.

TiVo will undoubtedly give DirecTV's DVR a close look to see whether it might violate any of its patents. TiVo has already challenged EchoStar's DVR in a case that goes to a federal district court in Texas this fall.

Pontual says, though, "We don't think we're doing anything that infringes on a patent."

"For now, DirecTV will simply try to get people to switch to its DVR by touting it as faster, easier to use and more versatile than TiVo's. "

This quote does not seem to give much incentive to DirecTV to upgrade the HD Tivos to the newest and latest software. They may want it to run like molasses to try to force people to switch to their new DVR down the road.

I just recieved 2 R10's with my new install directly from DirecTV. When the new R15's are out, will they swap mine out for free?

CEV said:
I just recieved 2 R10's with my new install directly from DirecTV. When the new R15's are out, will they swap mine out for free?

Ahhhhhhh, The million dollar question...
All of the rumors say yes, and D* history says yes......
BUT, D* has not said anyhting official. They are keeping tight lipped as usual.

CEV said:

Why would you need those swapped? The only real swap question has to do with HD boxes needing to be MPEG4 capable.

cfarm said:
Why would you need those swapped? The only real swap question has to do with HD boxes needing to be MPEG4 capable.

I am coming from E* DVR, and let me tell ya, this Tivo version is not very user freindly at all. For all those that love Tivo, have you ever tried another version of DVR? I really miss the user freindly interface!!

cfarm said:

Because for those of us accustomed to a more friendly UI (UTV for me) are aching to have it back with DTV and it appears that the R15 is the only thing coming close to that. I would LOVE to swap out my 1 mo. old R10 for the new one.

CEV...are you using the Tivo guide or the DirecTV guide? You have the option of using one or the other. Once you get the hang of using the Tivo guide, I think you'll like it. I've used the Dish 528 and a Motorola DVR with comcast and much prefer Tivo. YMMV.

I looked and did not see an option between the 2. Where is this switched at? Are you sure this is an option on the R10?

Thanks

hhh222 said:
CEV...are you using the Tivo guide or the DirecTV guide? You have the option of using one or the other. Once you get the hang of using the Tivo guide, I think you'll like it. I've used the Dish 528 and a Motorola DVR with comcast and much prefer Tivo. YMMV.

DirecTV poised to take on TiVo

Isn’t that a little like saying:

General Motors poised to take on Huffy

DETROIT — General Motors CEO Rick Wagoner sounds sincere when he says he has "no bone to pick with Huffy." But that isn't stopping him from turning the No. 1 auto maker — until recently Huffy's most important ally — into the transportation pioneer's potentially most dangerous rival.
I mean, it’s not like tivo has any say about it. Directv can use what they want, and will.

“(Some say tivo can survive) But others are less sanguine”. ... “Less sanguine”??? How many years have we seen “The End of Tivo” and “Tivo Deathwatch” stories??? (notice the choice of the word “sanguine”? Sure it means not desponding; confident; full of hope…. But by another definition, “Of the color of blood: Red”. Heck of a choice of words there, huh?;))

“Renewal of TiVo deal in doubt”??? Well, frikin’ DUH!!! Where’d ya get yer first clue there, Sherlock?:rolleyes:

The news stories want to make this out to be some kind of fight. It’ll be as much of a fight as a grizzly bear taking on Gary Coleman, fer cripes sake. I guess they’re getting their “Death of Tivo” hollywood brownie points, though.

The only way this could be a “fight” is if the directv+ box turns out to be a major dud. …and I really doubt that.

...and CEV,
while in the guide, press enter, then select "Tivo Guide", then press enter again.

Fugg said:
...and CEV,
while in the guide, press enter, then select "Tivo Guide", then press enter again.

I did this and the only options to change are "Channels", "Day", "Time", "Style", "Filtering", and "Choose Filter". With "Style", the options are Grid Guide and List Guide. There is nothing that shows an option for Tivo Guide.

CEV said:
I did this and the only options to change are "Channels", "Day", "Time", "Style", "Filtering", and "Choose Filter". With "Style", the options are Grid Guide and List Guide. There is nothing that shows an option for Tivo Guide.
Sorry about that, the "List" Guide is the tivo guide.
I didn't realise till I got home and looked that they changed the name in the last software release.
It use to say "Tivo Live Guide" and "Directv Grid".
Now it says "List Guide" and "Grid Guide".

I was depending upon memory and at my age, that was a mistake.
:eek:

CEV said:
I am coming from E* DVR, and let me tell ya, this Tivo version is not very user freindly at all. For all those that love Tivo, have you ever tried another version of DVR? I really miss the user freindly interface!!

I've used Tivo and quite a few other DVRs. While I like some non-Tivo features better on some models, there isn't ANYTHING on an E* DVR I like better than a Tivo-based one.

I was a E* sub for 8 years and went to DTV as soon as the Series 2 Tivos were available. Haven't regretted it one second.

I've also switched a number of folks from E* to DTV just because of the DVR differences. Not one prefers the E* DVR interfaces. And none of them miss the bugginess.

E* had a great head start on DVRs, but could never get it right. DTV had a fantastic opportunity to clobber the market with Tivo and decided to p*ss away their lead. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the NDS/R15.

I was a one time E* subscriber and was a loyal subscriber to them for 5 years until we got rooked into purchasing E*'s Dishplayer 7100. Nothing but trouble.

Crap out after crap out after crap out...

E* blaming the WebTv people and constantly promising to "fix" the problem.

Well.

After a few years of that BS, I got fed up and bought a D* system, and have had few problems at all....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)