Directv Pole Mount

Status
Please reply by conversation.

db4bama

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Deatsville, Al
i am having Directv installed in a couple of weeks. I know most of the requirements, but I don't know what size pole to use. Can anyone help?
Thanks

i am having Directv installed in a couple of weeks. I know most of the requirements, but I don't know what size pole to use. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Welcome to the site !

Are they doing the install, typically they will do the pole mount if thats required.

You can do your own, but make sure that it is in Clear open sky and perfectly plumb when your done.

You will need a 2" OD pole.

:welcome to Satelliteguys db4bama!

Some people use automotive exhaust pipe which you can get in a 2" od. I used 2" fence post which is heavier than an exhaust pipe. One note of caution with the fence post though, it's actually 1.9" od. I had to put some roof flashing on it to make it slightly larger. That's okay for a self install, but I doubt a Directv tech would use it since it isn't approved. Best bet is to contact Directv and let them know you may need a pole mount and they should arrive with one. As Jimbo noted, you need a clear view of the sky. If you have a smartphone, download the AR Satellite app. It will give you a pretty good idea where the satellites are in the sky.

And buried about 2-3' deep in 125 lbs of concrete (but most of us only do 50 lbs)

If you wait for an installer to do it we have to do a utility locate in most cases before a post can be done. Some contractors will also charge you for a post.

Or a Fence company will also have them.

You would think but they only carry 1 5/8 and 2 3/4

There is a 2 inch size out there but it's just slightly smaller and then you have to to use a self tapping screw to prevent the dish from spinning on the pole.

You can tighten down the bolts all the way, and the dish will still spin on the mast if your not using the official ones.

I used a fence post (1.9") and wrapped aluminum flashing around it to bring it to the required 2" in order to move the dish.

When the DirecTV rep showed for the move he had no problem with this arrangement.
Been solid for about 2 yrs.

You would think but they only carry 1 5/8 and 2 3/4

There is a 2 inch size out there but it's just slightly smaller and then you have to to use a self tapping screw to prevent the dish from spinning on the pole.

You can tighten down the bolts all the way, and the dish will still spin on the mast if your not using the official ones.
The 16 foot pole I am using I got from a fence place. 2 inch they have, as you mentioned, it's slightly smaller 1 7/8 th I think.
I set mine up and used a few zip screws just to make sure.

D*s been out several times, never said boo about it.

It's been up and signals been great since '05.

nobody said anything because nobody wants to replace it haha.

Your 100% correct there.

If someone said something it would be a new hole, new pole and more concrete.

Sometimes you see something and say if it ain't broke why try to fix it.

Try telling that to the person who does the inspections. Doubt they noticed the zip screw.

I have done the zip screw thing a few times in a bind many miles away from the store. Don't like doing it that way at all

D* would not replace my set up as they would never have a post long enough...
That said, they love it when they do have to come out, you get to my 16' pole next to the flat roof I have it attached too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)