Directv PQ... Is It Just Me?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

erik73

Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
Hi folks, first time poster here.
I switched from Dish to Directv about 6 months ago to get the MLB extra innings package. I have an older (but still good) 27" Sony Trinitron tv, obviously SD hooked up via svideo, from a R-15 SD dvr. The picture from Directv is really bad compared to what I was use to seeing on Dish. There are tons of what look like compression artifacts: somewhat blurry picture, bad pixilation on especially dark colors/shadows and bright whites. Basically it looks like YouTube. I complained to them, they sent a guy out who said the picture looks fine, and this is normal. I think this can't be normal. Sat signal is perfect. Anyone else have this issue? Is this what directv actually looks like. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. Again I'm watching SD on a tube tv.
Thanks
Erik

It's happening on all channels, all the time. The movie channels are a little worse then others, maybe because movies tend to have more shadows or darks.

After looking at the other thread...

Out of curiosity, do you have a Component input on the TV? I remember back in the day, the old receivers put out horrible picture via S-Video. This won't cause a major improvement, but should help a bit.

I agree that movie channels will look worse since they utilize a lot more blacks and shadowing. Unfortunately, this is something that you will grow to be accustomed to. Even on my 720p TV, I've seen a lower quality picture.

Another option is to upgrade the R15 to an HR2x and add the extra $10 to your bill for the HD channels. Even on an SD TV the HD PQ is through the roof. I understand this will not be an ideal solution, but it is there and will future proof yourself if the TV were to mysteriously die. ;)

HTH

I would have to agree with the poster. I had a R16 hooked up to my 32 inch Trinitron,and then to my HD tv, and I'd hve to admit PQ wasn't that great with this receiver. Now HR-20 SD PQ on the other hand was better then E* IMO. I don't care for the SD DVR from D*. My folks even got complaints about the DVR PQ. And they had cable.. They claim the D12 has better PQ. I've not compaired yet.

D* PQ...Is it just me??

I find it hard to believe that there is not a thread on here already complaining about this. Does anyone else see the over compression on virtually all channels? I had sincerely hoped D* would not overload their new satellites but my PQ is getting worse by the day. At times faces of actors blur like they have some sort of disease. I have even seen macro blocking. I have seen this on my 52" Sharp Aquos as well as a 37" Vizio at work. I know Vizio isn't the greatest but compression artifacts are compression artifacts. I see it on my local HD channels as well as premium HD channels. I just want to make sure it isn't my setup, although I would be very skeptical if it was. I haven't changed anything and I have seen this kind of signal before back in the over compressed Mpeg 2 days.

you should see E or comcast that's even worse. i personally think D is pretty good.

Since nobody else has started a thread on this topic it may be an indication that it is your perspective, your receiver, or your settings. There is probably something wrong. Everything looks just as good as ever here on Direct. I have not notice a decline in PQ. In fact, currently watching the WS on Fox and Fox here usually sucks, but the PQ looks better than I ever remember it looking, both OTA and on Direct.

All my HD is perfect; the SD is the same as it always was; decent SD but no comparison with HD. Heck I hardly even watch SD any more.

72" Rad? IS your projector shrinking? I made some minor room adjustments and brought my den 119" down to 106" but still got the 92" rocking in the kid's game room.

Obvious question that should've been asked: Are you sitting right in front of the tv?

Because their are tons of compression artifacts, extremelly visible close up. I admit they still look bad 6-9 feet away, but it's better then dvd :up

Just be glad ya got Directv. I was sitting 25 feet away from a 32" display showing charter hd cable and I could still see artifacts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)