DirecTV price increases coming in March

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
HOLY CRAP BATMAN!

PBS National Feed $2.50 and doesn't even include the HD version. Now that is a ripoff!

I have to say when I saw that hike and, as you mention, no HD feed, which I would gladly pay $2.50/mo. for now that my local PBS has dropped the national feed on their primary digital channel, but I'm not paying $2.50/mo. for a SD feed only. I wouldn't do it for any of the other Distant Nets I qualify for and PBS is no exception.

I am still saving over Dish network. I priced out a comaprable package today on Dish Builder. it was almost 100.00. That is with no premiums. If you have more then one HD TV the fees are crazy. This added 16.00 to the bill, With my current Directv TV bill with two HD DVR's and the three dollar increase I am going to be in the high 70's low 80's I believe

Plus it helps that overall I happy happy with Direct:)

I should also now add, that I dont think I have to worry about wakeing up and seeing channels pulled in the middle of the night with no notice

Last edited:
Serious question. Why is SD still around? Can we kill it yet? These cable and satellite companies need to totally reevaluate the way they do business regarding paying a premium for HD content. Major Bullsh!t.

As others have said, SD is around because the majority of subscribers are SD-only. Not only that, but numerous channels (such as MSNBC and Turner Classic Movies) still don't broadcast in HD. The HD premium exists because most people still view HD as an upgraded experience rather than the norm (once upon a time, color TV and stereo TV sound were considered a big deal). When HD's no longer considered anything special but more the norm, then it would be absurd for content providers to continue with a surcharge for HD. With the current subscriber base, the market's not at that point yet.

I don't see why the customers need to pay for protection plans, after all... all the equipment is THEIRS. If it breaks or dies it should be up to them to repair or replace it.

You don't see cable companies trying to get you to pay for protection plans. When one of their cable converters dies, they come out and replace it as they should as its theirs. :)

That's probably more of a grandfather provision dating back to the days when Directv subscribers actually owned their receivers. Those are the only boxes that might benefit from a protection plan. But, even under those circumstances, I'm not sure anyone would need it. I recall when our original RCA receiver went down, Directv offered us a refurb replacement unit for $20, which lasted four years until we made the HD DVR upgrade.

If you use one of the newer receivers and pay the lease fee, then there's no need for a protection plan since Directv will simply replace the receiver if/when it breaks.

I don't see why the customers need to pay for protection plans, after all... all the equipment is THEIRS. If it breaks or dies it should be up to them to repair or replace it.

You don't see cable companies trying to get you to pay for protection plans. When one of their cable converters dies, they come out and replace it as they should as its theirs. :)

I use the protection plan more for the wiring and dish itself. Here in New Orleans it comes in handy after a hurricane comes through it makes it makes it somewhat easier to get the dish realigned especially when it takes a 22' ladder to get the job done ( I look at it as paying for a realignment over twelve months, and if I get more than 1 I am ahead for that year :)). I also realize I am in a more unique situation than many because of where I live. As far as the boxes it is my understanding all the protection plan really does is save you the cost of shipping (usually $19.95), but I agree they should not even charge that as it is their box you are leasing.

As I do not know much about how Dish does business, but always want to learn, what are their policies on boxes, dishes/wiring with/without their protection plan?

Is this price increase my "Thank you" award?

I keep seeing the notice,
"Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer!

It's because of viewers like you that we've become America's favorite satellite television provider. Stay tuned for future anniversary gifts - it's just our way of showing our appreciation."

So I can't help but wonder, where's the love? Or is this "promise" supposed to make me feel better about being a DirecTV customer and my increased rates?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts