DIRECTV Pulls Jessica Simpson HD Ads

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Regarding the commercial being misleading, does DirecTV broadcast FOX and ESPN in "1080i" like Jessica says ?? :)

Regarding the commercial being misleading, does DirecTV broadcast FOX and ESPN in "1080i" like Jessica says ?? :)

Jessica never said " FOX and ESPN is broadcast in 1080i"
Fox and ESPN are done in 720p.
NBC and CBS are broadcast in 1080i.

This is determined by what the network broadcast in, not what D* wants.

btw, still showing it, 11:55 am on espn, but they did do the edited version to fit the time slot, I hope.

Jimbo

Right there is the crux of the problem. She does not say that, she just plain does not say that. Fox and espn were not mentioned. Now go ahead and tell me that it was implied. Maybe it was, not in my mind. But just because it was in yours does not make it so, so how can you possibly say that Jessica said.....

*Don't forget* the MPEG4 feeds currently available, which would most likely be D*'s "out" for any lawsuits here...

TW should come out with their own counter commercial that states all their channels are in the maximum resolution offered unlike some other satellite providers.. heheh.. now that would crack me up everytime I saw it..

TW should come out with their own counter commercial that states all their channels are in the maximum resolution offered unlike some other satellite providers.. heheh.. now that would crack me up everytime I saw it..

Yes, but TW PROBABLY could not say that either, chances are , that not ALL thier channels are whatever you consider FULL HD either

Jimbo

AND the likely channels for "seeing HER" (as she says) would be HD PPV, and down the road HBO HD or SHO HD, all 1080i correct? No channel is ever mentioned; this is how advertising works. It uses the viewers own mind to fill in the gaps. If those gaps are wrong, 99.9% of the time it is the fault of the viewer for inserting things from their own belief/thought that were never really said or shown or they didn't 110% completely listen to.. Is it 110% right, maybe not; illegal, likely not;, do the same companies bitching about it also do it; YES and more often!

For anyone living in/near the NYC market, NONE of these ads are as offensive as the smear campaign that the Dolans (CABLEVISION) unleashed to prevent the West Side Stadium from being built in Manhattan a couple of years ago. They spent tens of millions - all of which should have been used to upgrade their services or keep their sub costs down.

If these ads (or any ads bother you so much) just 'skip' them. For me its just a great time to grab a 'cold one' anyhow. :hatsoff:

Right there is the crux of the problem. She does not say that, she just plain does not say that. Fox and espn were not mentioned. Now go ahead and tell me that it was implied.
She says that Directv's HD channels are shown in 1080i. What does that mean ?? Does it mean ALL of their channels ?? Does it mean only one is ?? Does it mean some are, some aren't ?? It's inaccurate, period.

Doesn't it say you can "see her on DirecTV, its broadcast in 1080i"?

If a user fills in inaccuracies on their own, who's fault is that?

I can say "I have the best car" but what does that really mean? "best"?

Why would Time Warner Cable complain about misleading advertising? Here is a direct quote from THEIR website:"

"What are the benefits of HDTV with Time Warner Cable?

It's a theater-like experience - enjoy your favorite TV shows, movies, sports and events as if you were watching them in a theater. See more of the TV picture with a wider viewing area and feel the depth and clarity of Dolby® Surround technology.

Get more primetime programming than satellite - see HDTV programs from local broadcast networks including ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS. You can also get high definition movies, events and original programming from HBO and Showtime.*
No expensive equipment to buy - unlike satellite, you don't need an expensive receiver or dish. Just upgrade to a new digital HD-enabled set-top box. There's no extra cost because you're a Time Warner Cable Digital Cable customer."

Last time I looked, DISH had WAY more primetime HD programming than TWC. It can't mean ONLY network primetime - that would vary by market. This is a statement that can be taken many ways, and can be argued also.

I think it's time to close this thread, advertising is just what it is. B.S.

LOL! and in additon:

Why does having cable make it "theater-like experience"? That has nothing to do with cable and to do with your home A/V setup. You could have what they recommend onto a 36" display with 2chnl audio and thet sure is NOT theater-like.

Are they also implying you can't get a "theater-like experience" with DBS and FiOS aka without cable?

"See more of the TV picture with a wider viewing area and feel the depth and clarity of Dolby® Surround technology. "; wider than who or what? are they saying cable provides a larger picture? are they saying DBS or FiOS doesn't have Dolby at all? are they saying ALL there cable channels have Dolby?

These are all examples of how they could be purporting the same sort of inaccuracies they claim DirecTV is doing to them. As ScoBuck said, its all crying BS! Just stop all the crying already!

Last edited:
I can see this thread isn't going to stay objective for much longer and as such I will be closing this thread. If another staff member feels otherwise they can open the thread again. I just feel that most of what could be said has been said so only fights over the same stuff can really occur.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts