Directv Quailty Control Visit

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Funny thing, in the state of Arizona, it does not matter what you are doing here. If there is a "beware of dog" sign posted, and you trespass, even city e players, I have an expectation to privacy and my dog can legally protect the home. Think about it, if the police cannot enter without proper authorization, why should a lowly city worker, with a simple backround check and no security clearance be allowed to trespass. If there is something for one of the other neighbors, then they better coordinate with the property owner first. Trespassing is still trespassing. No matter how you spin it. And considering television is not a utility, it is a luxury, no technical has any ROW. Period.
So REMEMBER that when your Gas line busts or your Electric line comes down in a storm, or your INTERNET/TV/DT doesn't work ....

NONE Of us are gonna help you ... this is the way YOU want it.
When you have a MEDICAL emergency and need your phone (cell phones don't always work for 911) or your Moms Life Alert isn't working and your concerned about her safety, Don't complain about he company thats suppose to supply it ... if it doesn't work, YOU don't want us there, remember.

Reactions: osu1991
The only people how have right of way access are companies that have stuff in the ground or on power poles. Power company, gas , cable , LEC and CLEC's in Kentucky you must be approved and registerer with PSC. And that's not a whole yard or anywhere close it's a very small area go out of right of way and your trespassing.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
So, how do you purpose we get to said pole without going thru your yard ?

So, how do you purpose we get to said pole without going thru your yard ?

Good question there would be an easement allowing access to right of way :) lot of lawyer language right a way could be easement if that makes any sense lol

Unfortunately, you assume all risks in accessing private property.
Here's how it works. Until the homeowner has identified you as an employee of the utility company, he can( depending upon state law) assume you are trespassing. if you damage or harm the property( yes animals are property) you could be held liable in either civil and/or criminal courts....
The best advice i can give you is use your phone. if no one comes to the door, call.
If you feel you can enter the property, make a whole bunch of noise so as to attract the attention of any dogs that may be out on the property.
Like I said, we live in a different world now.
Oh, no were talking about being in a yard other than the subs, to fix the sub of course, I ALWAYS call first.

Ya wanna know something though about calling first .... 20% of the time I call the CBR and it goes to someone that doesn't even KNOW thew SUB.

Now if the customer doesn't give you a number to reach them that is legit, what ya gonna do.

I had someone do this to me too. They were coming out to inspect my satellite installation a week or two after it was done. In my eyes, that's completely unacceptable. I signed up for your TV services. I didn't extend an open invitation for you to show up unannounced and wander around my property.

I can somewhat understand land based services and utilities doing this kind of stuff because a problem on your property might be affecting the entire neighborhood. Satellite doesn't fall under that category though. If I didn't call and ask for a service visit there is no reason for them to be on my property.

Earlier this summer I walked out the door into my back yard and to my surprise someone from AT&T was working. The kicker is that I don't subscribe to any AT&T services and the pole is actually in a neighbor's yard just on the other side of the fence. I have a 6 foot tall privacy fence surrounding my back yard so he must have decided to open the gate and go back there even though the pole isn't on my property. He was up on a ladder leaning over the fence to the pole.

In the end, it was no harm no foul. He had AT&T logos clearly displayed and he was working on a poll not walking around my yard. Still, I don't like the idea that companies are allowed to access private property like that. That's even more true in this case because I don't subscribe to any of AT&T's services.
What happened in your instance is that while the pole may be in the neighbors yard, the opening we need to get to to access the terminal is facing your yard.

Now if the customer doesn't give you a number to reach them that is legit, what ya gonna do.

Go to the local watering hole and wait and enjoy some cold ones ?

I feel for you. I'm sure you constantly deal with people's pets and have probably had a few people flip out on you for being on their property. I know that I would hate having to walk onto people's property and not know if they are going to let a huge dog out or walk outside with a shotgun. People are crazy and there is always a chance you could be attacked when you walk into a stranger's yard.

Still, unless we are showing up to work on your private property this isn't the same thing. People have every right to let their dog out in their own yard whenever they want. Showing up at my office with a dog would be unacceptable because dogs don't belong there but they do belong in a back yard. It's not the most courteous thing to do while someone is working on your property but you still have the right to do it.

This is especially true if you weren't notified that a stranger would be entering your property. We don't know if you are who you really say you are or a thief, rapist, pedophile, or murderer. A simple heads up from the company before hand would go a long ways towards verifying that information.

How many thief, rapist, pedophile, or murderers carry a ladder into your yard ?

As for letting the dogs out, I was referring to when I am in someone elses yard working, ladder or otherwise.
The neighbor behind you is a prime example, they don't know what the neighbor is doing, so they let thier dog out so he can yap at me and then 5-10 minutes later they stick their heads back out and scold the dog for barking.

If you install a fence or plants in an easement those authorized by your State could rip them out or knock down the fence if they have to gain access and you have no recourse because you put items in the easement.

Easements/Right of Ways rock if you have access :)

If you install a fence or plants in an easement those authorized by your State could rip them out or knock down the fence if they have to gain access and you have no recourse because you put items in the easement.

Easements/Right of Ways rock if you have access :)

Yup, but still people don't understand ...

I get Garages that are too close, can't put a ladder up to the pole.
I get people that use the pole as thier Clothes line ...

I get all kind of scenarios.

If no one comes to the door, that cannot be interpreted as an invitation. You have no permission from the homeowner to be there. You call any phone numbers you may have for the homeowner. If you cannot get a response, you leave.
Private property rights are sacrosanct.
They are to be respected. End of story.
The sub has already been talked too, I'm talking about when I have to go in other yards to fix trouble.
With my job, its not as easy as working at your subs home.

I have access to yards from my subs all the way back to the Central Office.

You guys do realize that the last 2-3 pages have nothing to do with the thread title, right ?
That's the norm for other forums these days. I get excited to see a 40 page thread for a question I have only to discover 3 pages have to do with the problem & the other 37 are 2 dudes have a difference of opinion on suggestions. It becomes a fight of who's the smartest. One thread I discovered went on over a 2 year period between 2 clowns :). I'm off topic as well but the discussions here have been quite informative & entertaining, so hopefully a mod could just change the title of this thread.

Reactions: Broe67
This Directv guy was lucky that I did not let my dog out or worse that someone else may have come out with a gun.

You might want to hold off on "turnin' loose" the dog. I don't want to be a "conspiracy theorist" Debbie Downer,but if you(or anybody) had released you dog AND it was a policeman(or worse,a SWAT team at the wrong address,it does happen) in your yard,he would have immediately shot it & killed it. Using the "SWAT" scenario,WHOEVER would come out with a gun would be immediately gunned down. Now obviously,you determined through your close circuit camera that it wasn't a uniformed policeman,but the safe thing to do is to call 911 & say that there is someone in your yard who you don't recognize,& PLEASE,keep you dog restrained when the police do (eventually) show up.

You guys do realize that the last 2-3 pages have nothing to do with the thread title, right ?
I didn't see that everyone else was saying practically the same thing that I was saying(seeing I'm a little late to the game),But you don't know who that directv person is if he doesn't identify himself,AND......stop me if you've heard this before.....on this very thread.....,but it would be better to call 911,then it would be on the Directv guy in how he reacts when the police show up. Forgot to knock,lessen learned(& hopefully directv tech doesn't do anything stupid,in the policemen's eyes,to get himself killed).

You can call 911, but you also have the right to protect yourself, and your property. If it was a seat member, there would be more then one of them, bad scenario, also if it was a cop, and he is in your backyard, and has not identified himself, Texas set that precedent. You can, absolutely shoot him, if he were armed, and it would be self defense. If it is someone unarmed, different states have different laws. And to rely solely on the police(that's my interpreatation when you say go hide and call the police), is a terrible idea. The amount of time it takes the police to show up, an I truder can already enter and shoot. Being a former combat soldier, I would handle that part of the situation, the same as any other in Baghdad.

There was obviously an independent contractor doing the initial work and the qc in this case... hence the casual clothing... under normal circumstances qc agents or even techs where these bright green yellow or orange vests that make them easily identifiable to idiots that decide to assume just because a utility is on your property that they own said utility box or whatever. Backing up Jimbo as a phone guy and thinking back to my comcast days I can totally relate to needing to utilize a right of way to access a utility pole. Think about your electric meter for a second.. you do not own the meter itself. If your electric company needs to read or mantaince it or shut you off they have every right to do what they need to do. Cable and phone are the same way. You own all the lines running into your house. The boxes outside and drops are property of the respective company. If I was trying to work on a cable tap on a pole in your back yard and you let your dog out.. it's getting maced... (yea after I yell to you get it the hell away from me) if you choose to ignore me it gets maced. And your cable might accidently get cut since your an inconsiderate a.hole. that's bothering me while I'm just trying to do my job. I no longer care about you or your dog. I'm not paid to care...

Now for satellite... if you read the fine print on the contract you signed if it was on paper..... or.... listened to the automated messages about liability and waivers and contracts. . Or.... listened to the automated precall before the tech arrived.... or..... listened to the automated CUST satisfaction survey after the tech left... you would have been clearly informed that a quality control tech may visit your home to inspect the work performed within the next 2-4 weeks. Don't bother telling me I'm wrong... I've been doing this 8 years and I'm sure techs on this forum even longer than I.... the qc has been a part of directv since the company was established. It's not going away.

Now that the rant is over.. yes I agree that it's kind of strange to notice someone just wandering around your property... and I would feel the same way.. but.... don't say you werent informed when you had selective hearing...

Final note.. everything that you are stating is a fantastic way to severely piss off every utility contractor there is... take note of the amount of techs that responded to this thread in the manner we did. You are inconsiderate.. and I'm being polite with that terminology. ..

Reactions: Jimbo and osu1991
Its not that you own the utility box, but just because a phone or cable box is in your yard, it is still up to that company to obtain permission to be there to service it. And as far as the QC goes, if unmarked, then at that time, until identified and allowed to enter the property, it is trespassing. Want to hear something funny. Same thing goes for the police. No single company has the supreme right to intrude into the private property of any free citizen without express consent from the home owner, or someone legally allowed to speak on their behalf. Just because it makes your job more difficult and you are not paid to care, it is not our concern as a consumer(especially like the above story where he had none of the services from the company on his property), to care how hard your job is. That is between you and your employer. As a consumer, our only care is to receive the services outlined within the agreement with the company for whatever monetary value we agreed upon. If it is to hard for you, and you're not paid enough, ask for a raise, or find a new job. If it were my property, and my dog got maxed, at that point I am legally allowed to protect my property from further destruction(my dogs well being as I have signs posted in my home), with up to lethal force. Especially since you brought the first weapon(mace). My dog was doing what she was trained to do, and keep my property safe. She is my minimum force for self defense on MY personal property.

Its not that you own the utility box, but just because a phone or cable box is in your yard, it is still up to that company to obtain permission to be there to service it. And as far as the QC goes, if unmarked, then at that time, until identified and allowed to enter the property, it is trespassing. Want to hear something funny. Same thing goes for the police. No single company has the supreme right to intrude into the private property of any free citizen without express consent from the home owner, or someone legally allowed to speak on their behalf. Just because it makes your job more difficult and you are not paid to care, it is not our concern as a consumer(especially like the above story where he had none of the services from the company on his property), to care how hard your job is. That is between you and your employer. As a consumer, our only care is to receive the services outlined within the agreement with the company for whatever monetary value we agreed upon. If it is to hard for you, and you're not paid enough, ask for a raise, or find a new job. If it were my property, and my dog got maxed, at that point I am legally allowed to protect my property from further destruction(my dogs well being as I have signs posted in my home), with up to lethal force. Especially since you brought the first weapon(mace). My dog was doing what she was trained to do, and keep my property safe. She is my minimum force for self defense on MY personal property.

You are wrong about obtaining permission and most of the other opinions your stated and I no longer wish to talk about this... your just being a jerk to prove your point. Cheers mate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts