DirecTV Question on Distributed Video Feed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

marcsh

Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
I have a DirecTV system and one dish with several Swim Switches and 12 1080p televisions connected to the system each with its own box. I am having a party soon and would like to have videos streaming from my computer through the system and was wondering is there a way to do this. I was thinking if I disconnect the incoming coax feed from the satellite dish input side of the swim switches and use some sort of converter to change the output from the computer to a coax connection is it possible to have the same thing playing on all of the televisions at the same time or is there and easier, faster way.

The only way I can think of utilizing the existing cable will be to disconnect the main line from the dish, then disconnect each sat receiver from its splitter and connect that directly to the RF input on the TV. In the computer room you will need an RF modulator to change the RCA output from the computer to RF (channel 3 or 4). Keep in mind I don't know how many TVs an RF modulator is capable of driving given the number of inline splits, but I can tell you it'll be a crappy looking picture on an HDTV no matter how you slice it (it can only take a composite signal from the computer [crappy to begin with] and turn it into analog RF [even crappier] in SD).

I suppose you can use an ATSC/QAM modulator and feed it a component HD signal from the computer (which your digital TVs can then pick up and display in HD), but from what I hear those are big bucks and not readily available.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts