DIRECTV reaches deal with Tribune (Or maybe not!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The deal was done and was agreed upon. It was a third party that put a stop to it. IOW, this is not the same thing as many of those Dish trolls are trying to make it appear.

In my mind in this case they again did reach a deal. I am convinced of it, but the other side didn't honor what the person negotiating agreed to.

As seemed apparent to me and those who want to know what is going on rather than just make Direct look bad.....

However, Tribune should have consulted this third party on all proposed deals prior to offering an agreement with DirecTV. The deal wasn't done, because Tribune dropped the ball. As this appears to state.

Betting Direct thought the person negotiating and then agreeing had that power. Direct seems to have negotiated in good faith.

Everyone seems to be assuming thqat what DirecTV says is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I don't trust either side enough to assume that.

Directv is saying Tribune management agreed on the deal but were then overruled by hedge fund and investment bank creditors. Directv has filed a complaint with the FCC

DirecTV files FCC complaint against Tribune - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

Here is the direct link to the complaint that DirecTV filed
http://images1.variety.com/graphics...RECTV Complaint re Tribune 4-2-12[1] copy.pdf

Seems like DirecTV did everything they could to keep the channels and Tribune played hardball the whole time and DirecTV was never really negotiating with anyone that actually had the power to accept their offer.

I must say, this is the most interesting channel dispute I've ever been aware of. Looks like D* might have a good case, based on the beginning of that filing and it's definition of "good faith." Yet the remedy, if any, that they might get may well fall short of satisfactory. :popcorn

It apperas that Tribune Broadcasting is not in charge of their bussiness any more. The banks and hedge fund's that they owe money to appartly is running the show. Tribune should have directed them to the people they owe money to because apparantly they are the ones that have authority to renew the carriage agreement not Tribune Broadcasting. It looks like this is going to go to the FCC to get this mess straightened out caused by Tribune not sending the correct people to get an agreement done.

Maybe the Tribune people are/will be considered an agent of the creditors, and it's their problem if their agent should not have made the deal.

Maybe the Tribune people are/will be considered an agent of the creditors, and it's their problem if their agent should not have made the deal.

Everyone seems to be assuming thqat what DirecTV says is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I don't trust either side enough to assume that.

So often that is true, but it sure seems Direct TV negotiated a deal, witnessed by actually posting as such. I do believe, that they honestly believed they had a deal.

Might not matter if they had a deal. If they can be shown to have been negotiating in bad faith- well, I'm sure there's something unpleasant for Tribune if that's the case.

So I have an HR24 and HR34... I assume I need an antenna to get the channels gone?

All you need is the proper antenna for you area's specific need and an ATSC digital tuner; that tuner can already be in your TV or in an add-on AM21 unit that will integrate into the EPG of your DirecTV receiver.

Last edited:
I can't imagine DTV not getting a deal done by Thursday. I've seen DTV run into this situation before with a big sporting event coming up and they always seem to get the job done at the last moment.

The biggest reason I pay attention to this is because it can lead to Dish sales for us. I remember a few years ago when DTV was having a dispute with our local FOX station. The Iowa bowl game was on that channel and we had people freaking out and signing up for Dish so they wouldn't miss it. DTV ended up getting a deal done at the last minute and no one missed it.

The Cubs home opener isn't as big a deal but I can't help but wonder what local pub is going to do for the game if he isn't able to show it. I'm pretty sure he still has cable as a back up though.

Fwiw, the Baseball home openers will more than likely NOT be missed regardless.
It is typical of D* and MLB to have a Free Preview of the Extra Inning package the first week of the season, so you should be able to see all the games in the beginning anyways, dispute of not.

That said, I haven't seen anything about the Free Preview this year YET.

All you need is the proper antenna for you area's specific need and an ATSC digital tuner; that tuner can already be in your TV or in an add-on AM21 unit that will integrate into the EPG of your DirecTV receiver.

Or an older HR20 recvr. (No AM21 required in this case)

So often that is true, but it sure seems Direct TV negotiated a deal, witnessed by actually posting as such. I do believe, that they honestly believed they had a deal.

Again you are taking what DirecTV as gospel. I don't trust either side to send out fully accurate press releases.

I just sent an email to tribunes and directv's management... Got the email adresses from the lawsuit... This is what I said.

Dear Tribune and DirecTV,

I received your email from the law suit that Directv brought on which is now publicly posted. I have a hard time believing that Tribune negotiated with DirecTV in good faith, as a loyal WGN9 viewer I am very disappointed in the fact that you have not put the subscriber first. As a subscriber, I pay my bill every month to DirecTV for access to WGN which is broadcasted for free, and I currently am receiving WGN9 through my over the air tuner (AM21) connected to my DirecTV satellite system. Unfortunately, not every subscriber can receive your OTA signal like how my setup is.

What concerns me is the fact that you all failed to let DirecTV keep your signal on after the contract expired allowing viewers to continue to recive your signal through DirecTV, and failed to pro-rate the new contract effective the date of the contract expiring once a deal was reached. I am also disappointed that CLTVHD was not a part of this deal as access to WGN's and CLTV's programming is essential for viewers to keep informed in the Chicago Land area. Both stations provide a public service in the event of breaking news, weather and other disasters. You have essentially cut off many of your subscriber’s access to this coverage and forced them to go elsewhere for their news and public services that WGN and CLTV provides. I don't understand how advertiser's put up with this loss of eyeballs, and revenue.

You have lost the public trust that is granted by the FCC to YOU as you broadcast on public airwaves, and those airwaves are extended by WGN's broadcast partners such as DirecTV. DirecTV brings you an audience that you normally would not be able to reach due technical reasons such as antenna placement, or practicality of an OTA installation. In my view those signals should be given to Directv for FREE as they are publicaly avaliable for FREE! I understand that I pay DirecTV a fee for access to my local channels and that fee goes to cover the associated related transmission costs for Directv to bring that signal to my home which includes research and development into technologies such as spot beam satellites.

I find WGN's lack of attention to detail in regards to the subscriber very disturbing and that directly reflects upon WGN's management. When WGN does come back to DirecTV, I expect it to be better than ever as well as I expect to see CLTVHD added to Chicago's lineup as a part of this deal. I chose DirecTV for their value, high definition picture quality and sound. While DirecTV is not perfect and can use some fine tuning in the carriage of their national HD channels. They provide me with a great lineup for the increasing cost of cable bills, with the most entertainment possible on multiple levels such as sports and movies in HD. I expect DirecTV to keep my bills low as eventually subscribers will start and have started to pull the plug for alternative means such as Hulu and other IPTV based products that are cheaper. Every year cable prices go up across the board due to outrageous demands by providers such as yourself whom have failed to put the viewer first and come up with innovative ways to introduce new revenue streams. That failure is on the management of Tribune and not of those of DirecTV or its subscribers. It is the subscribers who are caught in the middle and hurt the most.

I expect WGN to remember whom they are here to serve and put the subscribers first. It is the subscribers whom pay Tribunes bills through the viewing of advertisings on your channel, as well as paying for carriage of WGN America as a part of my programming package. Not the banks! It is very sad to see WGN and Tribune forget whom they serve. There is a reason why Tribune is in bankruptcy, and acts like this one shows the public exactly why Tribune has failed. Please act upon what is in your best interests, and those interests lie within the subscriber whom is your bread and butter, they make or break you.

Cheers

It was Sterned for "Basketball Reasons"!

Fwiw, the Baseball home openers will more than likely NOT be missed regardless.
It is typical of D* and MLB to have a Free Preview of the Extra Inning package the first week of the season, so you should be able to see all the games in the beginning anyways, dispute of not.

That said, I haven't seen anything about the Free Preview this year YET.

I hope so. I actually take off work every year for the Cubs home opener to go to the local bar and watch the game. It's a pretty big event there. I couldn't imagine watching the game on crappy cable on his nice TV's I installed there.

I wish he would get Dish from us but it will never happen as long as DTV has the Sunday Ticket.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)