DIRECTV reaches deal with Tribune (Or maybe not!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
rey_1178 said:
you haven't trolled at all. trolls bring nothing of value to the discussion and do their best to stir the "pot".

My apologies for the complete tangent, but it seems relevant to the side discussion in this thread. I just read that trolling may soon be illegal in Arizona: http://gizmodo.com/5898585/itll-soon-be-illegal-to-troll-in-arizona

Policing and enforcement of this should be very interesting (not to even bring up the constitutional questions it raises). But in the meanwhile, we should all beware if/when we choose to troll.

I admit Ii am a DISH sub. but, when a topic has applicabilty to both (like retrans consent) I don't think it is really trolling to comment. the test is really whether you are at least trying to add value (and BTW that may involve advancing a minority opinion)or whether you are just stirring the pot. Admittedly it is not always easy to tell the difference.

I admit Ii am a DISH sub. but, when a topic has applicabilty to both (like retrans consent) I don't think it is really trolling to comment. the test is really whether you are at least trying to add value (and BTW that may involve advancing a minority opinion)or whether you are just stirring the pot. Admittedly it is not always easy to tell the difference.

you are correct.. However I think it is fairly easy to tell the motive of a post/poster; especially when you can go back and see their history and take that into account. some craft their words very carefully.

translating..u can bash dish all you want just dont bash Directv!!
nope that's not what that means. see you're trolling since you're not discussing the actual topic. so i suggest we get back to the topic of this thread.

Rey, if I can add one comment before hand to Juan, as a Dish sub myself. I got to say these two forums have different social understandings. The Dish forum does tend to allow more off the cuff remarks and bickering back and forth than The DirecTV Forum. If you don't like the way people talk in our forum, then report it to the moderator. I personally act more like an ass over there than here, because over there it's more acceptable to do so. Here I make my comment to the point, because that's what this side wants.

all i can say is if any of you see trolling from ANYONE in ANY forum then please just report it. i don't think its an issue of it being "allowed" more in the dish forums. to me its an issue of there being way more members here on the dish side which makes it harder to catch. everyone on the staff has a job and a life outside of these forums. its impossible to stay on top of everything which is why that little report button at the lower left of every post would really help us out if used when someone spots a violation such as trolling behavior. and no i don't mean when we don't like someone's post or someone else's opinion. there is a difference.......

Folks let me echo what Rey said, we don't read everything... its impossible for us to do so. We normally act when we see something ourselves or someone reports something. In this case the user was reported by a number of you for trolling... and I got to agree I do feel he was trolling. However sometimes its a fine line between trolling and just giving an opinion. Yesterday we had another reported a few times for Trolling when in my opinion (and other staff members opinions) he wasn't trolling just giving his opinion. (And what I found strange is the person reported is normally a heavy DIRECTV supporter so by him speaking his opinion which was anti DIRECTV people started reporting him as a troll!)

I am sure the people who posted don't think they were trolling but if they would look back at their posting history they could see why others would think they were trolling. Sometimes the written word is a lot different that what you were actually trying to say as people read things differently even though they are the same words.

Funny how it all works sometimes. :)

Now PLEASE instead of discussing each other lets get back to the topic at hand.

For what its worth, I fully support DIRECTV in this fight against Tribune.

Last edited:
No.. Wciu contracts with wgn and MLB for rights to X amount of games per year.

It is NOT just limited to WCIU; we also get these same games down here on WCIX-49: (unfortunately it's in SD only on all providers, since WCIX is ONLY transmitted in SD)

WCIX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, beginning with the 2010-11 NBA season, WCFN carried Chicago Bulls, Chicago Cubs, and Chicago White Sox games aired in the Chicagoland area by WCIU.

I've seen these firsthand, so this is correct ;)

I did but i still don't think that weigel should have made the announcement when they did. Still Tribune just looks horrible

Looks? IS. And has been for a good long time now. The whole bankruptcy thing has only made a really bad situation even worse over there.

Now you've got people at Tribune who are going in two different directions at the same time. Some who still seem to be doing negotiations in a sloppy manner, and it's becoming obvious they don't even see how badly they're screwing it up.

Then you've got people clumsily trying to save face.

I've nearly always woken up in the morning to WGN radio. Dropped them for a while with Jarrett but picked them up again when they tossed idiot management people and got Brandmeier. For the first time since then, this morning I turned off the radio again, as it was very, very obvious Tribune put Johnny up to an 'interview'. It was literally Johnny reading the questions from the FAQ Tribune put out last week, then some random pr woman at Tribune reading the faq answers, still towing the party line that it's all DirecTV's fault, I kid you not. A 5 year old could have seen through it, as it was way beyond awkward. So at least some have a clue as to how screwed up they are but the actions they are taking to address it are falling way short. Clumsy pr stunts are not going to do it. :(

Last edited:
I wonder if the FCC is even going to look into the issue???? So far everybody at DIRECTV, Tribune Broadcsting, and the FCC have been quiet. DIRECTV's website www.directvpromise.com they have put up information about alternative methods to get programming that they are unable to broadcast. That information was not their yesterday. Tribune Programming has been off for three days now. I hope DIRECTV does not cave into their outrageous demands because if they do other TV providers will be in the same boat as DIRECTV. I think this proves that the Retransmission Consent laws need to be changed so customers are not held hostage.

as I have said for years; they need to just end the OLD and OUTDATED network affiliate system and just beam the major networks up to a central SAT and allow companies to negotiate directly for reuse. if someone local wants to own & run an INDEPENDENT TV station, do so at their own cost, local ad revenue and peril; sink or swim with out riding national nets coat tails or holding a market hostage and do so OTA only. people can get local news, sports and weather for, the paper, radio or the net.

as I have said for years; they need to just end the OLD and OUTDATED network affiliate system and just beam the major networks up to a central SAT and allow companies to negotiate directly for reuse. if someone local wants to own & run an INDEPENDENT TV station, do so at their own cost, local ad revenue and peril; sink or swim with out riding national nets coat tails or holding a market hostage and do so OTA only. people can get local news, sports and weather for, the paper, radio or the net.

I think that the retansmission consent is the only thing that is flawed and is causing all the problems. They should not be getting any money from satellite or cable because it is free over the air tv but it is just being rebroadcasted over a cable line or a satellite up in space. They should not be allowed to discriminate wether you get charged or not based on how you receive their broadcast. They can have laws in place to prevent the cable or satellite company from modifying their broadcast and also make a law where they can only broadcast it to their local market.

Last edited:
I think that the retansmission consent is the only thing that is flawed and is causing all the problems. They should not be getting any money from satellite or cable because it is free over the air tv but it is just being rebroadcasted over a cable line or a satellite up in space. They should not be allowed to discriminate wether you get charged or not based on how you receive their broadcast. They can have laws in place to prevent the cable or satellite company from modifying their broadcast and also make a law where they can only broadcast it to their local market.

I am not even concerned at that point; my point is the current system is way outdated and a total waste of OTA frequencies. The local affiliates are a joke.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts