DIRECTV rolls-out 4 more major DMAs with MPEG-4 LIL HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DTV TiVo Dealer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
Scarsdale, NY
HD locals light up today in Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago and Philly.

We are providing the new AT9 5 LNB dish and H20 MPEG-2/4 HD receiver. Customers will also get a $200 mail-in rebate, so the final cost of the system with up to 4 receivers is zero.

The next 5 should light up sometime during the week of December 8th. Those markets will be Boston, Dallas, Washington DC, Houston and Tampa.

New York and Los Angeles will light up before the end of the year.

-Robert

Called D* to order the dish upgrade in Chicago area. Their systems haven't been updated yet and he couldn't place the order. Also he said there was nothing in their systems on upgrades to the H20 for existing customers with HD STB's.

How about Knoxville, TN?

I hear that Knoxville, TN is actually one of the leaders in local HD broadcasts (I receive several great HD channels locally now). Can you tell me when Knoxville can expect to receive the new MPEG4 signals and be eligable for the H20 receiver?

I'm itchin' to upgrade to a HD D* receiver and I don't want to waist money on a H10 and turn around in a short time and need a H20.

I definately want the HDMI output as well. So far these are the only models I've found that seam to have the HDMI output.

Thanks!!

soupamoto (forum newbie)

As rad said this is news to D*. I called them and the lady acted like I was crazy.

hdtvtechno said:
Maybe try calling Directv's HD Eligibility Department at (800) 263-0028

The CSR I talked to know about the HD service going up today, he just said that when I tried to place the order in his system it wouldn't take it.

hdtvtechno said:
Maybe try calling Directv's HD Eligibility Department at (800) 263-0028

I am just throwing something out there, but I have been a member here for about a year now.

It seems that any time Robert or Longhorn XP get some "breaking news" about a roll out or upgrade, people in these forums start calling D* or E*. Should we really do that? I mean... won't these CSR's report a higher call volume in a meeting of some type of callers calling in wanting to know information of an upgrade. If they do will D* maybe start to keep their mouths shut to their Distributers because info is leaking on the net before they want it to be released to the public? I am assuming they tell their distributers this info in a "trust" relationship.

I may be wrong, so please let me know... I am curious :confused:

joedekock said:
It seems that any time Robert or Longhorn XP get some "breaking news" about a roll out or upgrade, people in these forums start calling D* or E*. Should we really do that? I mean... won't these CSR's report a higher call volume in a meeting of some type of callers calling in wanting to know information of an upgrade.
:D

So, Knoxville is #58 and should get MPEG4 sometime next year. Thanks for the info (how the heck do you know that?!)!

OK, so here is my question... Living in Knoxville, do I buy an H10 from BB or wherever for $200, or do I buy a used H10 on eBay for $75 for the short term?

Or, today there is a seller on eBay selling the H20 for $189 plus $25 shipping and claims a $200 rebate... should I go for that?! I can't imagine how they can offer the $200 rebate, and I've asked with no response yet.

I know when MPEG4 does hit my area I'll have to deal with getting an upgrade to the 5 LNB dish, somehow, at that time.

Is there any chance the H20 will not be the 'next generation' HD receiver? Is there any chance in 2 or 3 months a different unit will actually be what D* is offering, or does it look like the H20 is the ticket (for the time being)?

Short of it is am I waisting time and money on a H10 today and should I focus on finding my best deal on a H20 and go for that?

Thanks!!

Since I just purchased a Phase III dish, will D* give me the new 5 LNB dish or will I have to pay for the upgrade when the locals hit L.A.?

Other than by calling D*, how can one actually confirm that the HD locals are active in, for example, San Francisco? Is there a way to tell on the D* website?

Thx.
John

OK, I went to Value Electronics and ordered the H20 with the understanding there will be a $200 rebate when I activate the unit (in a few days I guess). $200 price minus $200 rebate sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks for all the help!

soupamoto

JPShinn said:
Other than by calling D*, how can one actually confirm that the HD locals are active in, for example, San Francisco? Is there a way to tell on the D* website?

Thx.
John

Do what you're actually supposed to do -- wait for them to contact you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)