Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
DirecTV is getting ready for the lighting of their D-11 satellite that we've all been patiently waiting for, which should be in August, or mid-September at the absolute latest.

Once this lights up, they've got room for another 50 HD nationals, and beams to cover several new HD Local markets, upwards of 1,500 total HD Local channels between their fleet.

Anyway, we've received a "blurp" from a trusted source at DirecTV that will make many of us happy. Note - there is no timeline information, just what they are working on:

HD Extra Stations still in MPEG2 (UHD & HDNet Movies) will move to MPEG4 targeting July 31. This may require equipment upgrades for a very small group of customers (sub to HD Extra and have only MPEG2 equip).

There is planning based on other MPEG2 services (ESPN 1/2, TNT, HDNet, HD Theater, etc) moving to MPEG4 as well (which results in a huge quality improvement versus what we see now). They did not say if the switch is going to be following equipment replacement waves (like the MLB, NFL, West DNS, and soon HD Extra packages have been) or if they may mirror the services for a while.

(My Commentary):
As DirecTV speeds up transitioning customers away from MPEG2 equipment we get closer to an entirely MPEG4 HD environment. The consesus is that their goal is to get all HD on the 99/103 location, and use the 110/119 for more locals (SD & HD) and interntionals, eliminating the need for the side dishes or special international dish.

The past couple months have indicated D* is really pushing to get away from MPEG2 HD. In past discussions on investor calls, they indicated wanting to push this back as far as possible, even 2009 or later. It now appears that they have jump started that strategy, and we could see all MPEG4 HD much sooner.

There is also a slimline 3 dish in development for a dish that does not receive the 110/119 location. With the launch of D12 next year, a new dish may be necessary, as existing setups are not expected to be able to receive anything off D12.

As for the HD Extra Pack transition - is just one more sign that D* is working to speed up the transition to all MPEG4 HD. Other areas they could work before a mass final sweep - NHL subs, NBA subs, East Coast DNS. After that, all that is left is the base HD customers that still just receive 8 HD channels and haven't called for an upgrade.

A Side Note - The HD Extra Pack is FREE for 3 months for some subscribers (those who didn't use the 3 month free the first time around). There will be lots of HD Olympics coverage on UHD if you want to signup.

-------------

UPDATE 7/13:

As we get closer to the launch of D11, we're hearing more and more info.

Here is the latest rumors from the past couple days:

The simulcating of MPEG2 stations to MPEG4 is going to happen, and it will also include ESPN 1/2, TNT, HD Theater, and the HD Extra packs. This is a big improvement in picture quality for the old stations. They will be mirrored until the MPEG2 swaps are done. This is still expected to happen by July 31.

On a magical date in August, a group of new national HD channels will lauch, along with the conversion of many "game-only" RSNs to 24 hour RSNs, as well as a bunch of new HD locals markets.

As for the Locals additions, the words used were "a ton of local markets". This may not include all 4 of the big 4 for some markets, due to contracts they are still working on.

So, from what I'm hearing, it will all happen on ONE DAY, and it WILL BE BIG!

Again, please consider this information as rumors until you see them on your TV, but I am comfortablewith the reliability of the source of the information :)

Last edited:
I'm posting this for our pub members for a few days before I move it the the general D* area.

Thanks for supporting SatelliteGuys!

Thanks for the update. I am happy to hear the news but at the same time not looking forward to the folks saying that their DirecTIVO is useless.

A Side Note - The HD Extra Pack is FREE for 3 months for some subscribers (those who didn't use the 3 month free the first time around). There will be lots of HD Olympics coverage on UHD if you want to signup.

I had the 3 month free first time around and cancelled after 3 months. I got a call 2 weeks ago for the offer and I accepted it.

Perhaps I missed your post of two channels changing to mpeg4 since you posted it in a Dish Network Retailer Chat thread :confused: :D

Satracer is a D* employee, so I would not doubt if he got the same info we heard around the same time.

The good news is that they are speeding this up, despite what they said on earnings calls just a few months ago - that they would draw it out as long as possible to minimize equipment upgrade expenses.

Thanks for the update. I am happy to hear the news but at the same time not looking forward to the folks saying that their DirecTIVO is useless.
At least that is one bonus for moving to leasing. No getting stuck with expensive boxes that are worthless. I have my two $1000 HD DirecTivo's collecting dust in the basement. Its the price we pay for being early adapter's.:D

Perhaps I missed your post of two channels changing to mpeg4 since you posted it in a Dish Network Retailer Chat thread :confused: :D

LOL, I like to see what the competition for D* is doing :) Granted wasn't the best thread to post that info on. The sooner the MPEG-2 feeds are simulcasted in MPEG-4 the better IMO. I guess now we can all watch the daily TLEs and wait for the move of D11 from 100.7 to it's 99.225 slot. Can't wait :hungry:

Sweet, this just means DirecTV is 2 years ahead of cable companies and possibly 1+ year ahead of Dish Network.
All I have to say is that DirecTV is the better service, they bring the new stuff to us before anyone else, especially HD.
By the time other providers get caught up with DirecTV, they will have D12 up and running, and I can see DirecTV coming up with something new.

Jason, I like the idea of having internationals and nationals all in one satellite instead of having multiple satellites, that will help a lot.

Ice- they have plans to eliminate any side dish / speciality dish in 2009. Their lease for 72.5 is ending soon, that is a big motivator. I"m guessing that 72 location is going to dish as part of thier eastern arc plans, whoever leases that sat out is flipping.

The real question right now is how are we going to receive D12. I am guessing they may put a new LNB on the slimline 3 that is in development that will get 99/101/103 only, and receive the 101 in both ka & ku. Actually it would be something like 100.8 & 101 if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that D12 will need a dish upgrade or LNB upgrade, unless they are putting it up as solely a spare. Originally, it was designed as a spare, but recently their plans are to use it.

With D12, they can do a total of 200 national HD (on just the D10/11/12 sats), and more than enough local space to provide EVERY DMA in HD, including all 7 networks (Big 4, PBS, CW, MY). That would be quite an accomplishment for 2010.

Ice- they have plans to eliminate any side dish / speciality dish in 2009. Their lease for 72.5 is ending soon, that is a big motivator. I"m guessing that 72 location is going to dish as part of thier eastern arc plans, whoever leases that sat out is flipping.

The real question right now is how are we going to receive D12. I am guessing they may put a new LNB on the slimline 3 that is in development that will get 99/101/103 only, and receive the 101 in both ka & ku. Actually it would be something like 100.8 & 101 if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that D12 will need a dish upgrade or LNB upgrade, unless they are putting it up as solely a spare. Originally, it was designed as a spare, but recently their plans are to use it.

With D12, they can do a total of 200 national HD (on just the D10/11/12 sats), and more than enough local space to provide EVERY DMA in HD, including all 7 networks (Big 4, PBS, CW, MY). That would be quite an accomplishment for 2010.

And thats about 1 1/2 years away, so thats not too long to wait if they can get it done by early 2010.

I'm not trying to be a thread hijacker, but just out of curiosity, Jason, you wouldn't happen to know when (and even if) Directv plans on adding the Terre Haute, IN DMA locals would you?

You mentioned that they would have the capacity after D12 to provide EVERY DMA, so I was wondering. ...ok, hoping is more like it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts