DirecTV Scam

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satuserguy

Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I signed up for DirecTV in Feb of 2007. At that time I got a regular receiver as well as a DVR receiver, both on lease. I was informed by the customer service rep on that phone at that time, that I was on a annual contract, which means I should have come off contract this month i.e. Feb 2008.
Also my DVR went bad 4 months later and DirecTV replaced it in June of 2007.
Now DirecTV is telling me:

1. Because I got a DVR, I am on a 2 yr and not a 1 yr contract. The cust service rep basically lied to me to get my business.
2. Because they replaced my defective leased DVR they also extended my contract by 4 months above and beyond the 2 yr contract.

In my opinion this is not only bait and switch, but illegal.
The way I look at it, DirecTV has me on a contract and anytime my DVR goes bad and they replace it, they will extend the contract. So in other words, I can never be out of a contract in theory if their defective DVRs (which they supply) keeps failing and they keep replacing it.

I want to take this matter to the right authorities - FCC, Better business bureau or whoever regulates that industry.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

They cannot extend the contract based on replacing defective equipment thats still in warranty

The only thing im 100% sure on its a 2 year agreement for DVR or HD equipment with Directv!

If the rep lied to you, reguardless you need to go off of the paperwork you signed!

They cannot extend the contract based on replacing defective equipment thats still in warranty

The only thing im 100% sure on its a 2 year agreement for DVR or HD equipment with Directv!

If the rep lied to you, reguardless you need to go off of the paperwork you signed!

It was not under warranty.
However my point is even if the receiver is out of warranty and they replace it, my contract gets extended. So in theory as long as DirecTV keeps supplying me with DVRs that have no quality control, which in turn keep failing and DirecTV keeps replacing, they can then (in theory) have me on a contract for the rest of my life !

On the other point. I did NOT sign any paperwork. The rep lied and got my business and then they claim they sent me some boilerplate agreement with my first bill (a year ago), which did not require my signature.

Not much we can say to make you happy. Call back and talk to retention, see if they'll do any less or maybe discount service if you want to consider keeping it.

The replacement shouldn't add to the agreement unless they upgraded you or something. DVR's require 24 month agreement.

You should have signed the work order when it was installed, the contract is part of that.
Otherwise, I'm believe they take a verbal commitment when you called to sign up.

Regardless of you actually signed any paperwork or not (didn't you READ & sign papers after the install? - hmmm)

In one way or another you were given the opportunity to read and then acknowledge that you read, understood and agree to the contractual terms; they are posted almost everywhere; especially the DirecTV website.

Contracts will not be extended if your unit fails at no fault of your own.

THERE IS NO DIRECTV SCAM!

Not much we can say to make you happy. Call back and talk to retention, see if they'll do any less or maybe discount service if you want to consider keeping it.

The replacement shouldn't add to the agreement unless they upgraded you or something. DVR's require 24 month agreement.

You should have signed the work order when it was installed, the contract is part of that.
Otherwise, I'm believe they take a verbal commitment when you called to sign up.

No they didnt upgrade me. They did an identical swap of a defective unit.

What is customer retentions number? Do you happen to have it.

Also I want to raise this with a regulatory body. Who would that be? FCC?
Thanks.

Regardless of you actually signed any paperwork or not (didn't you READ & sign papers after the install? - hmmm)

In one way or another you were given the opportunity to read and then acknowledge that you read, understood and agree to the contractual terms; they are posted almost everywhere; especially the DirecTV website.

They can. If you have the PP you contract can't be extended. Non PP will get their contract extended IF they take NEW/refurb equipment. I have had many subs refuse to accept replacement irds for that reason.

THERE IS NO DIRECTV SCAM!

Ok, I didnt read the agreement. But the rep who signed me up over the phone still lied. But be that as it may.

Also on the other point, contract WAS extended due to replacement of a failed unit.
That is the DIRECTV SCAM I am talking about.

They can. If you have the PP you contract can't be extended. Non PP will get their contract extended IF they take NEW/refurb equipment. I have had many subs refuse to accept replacement irds for that reason.

What is a PP and non-PP?
Also this is not something I had a choice regarding. The unit failed 4 months later and DirecTV replaced it with the IDENTICAL unit. So I see no reason why the contract should be extended.

I assumed he had the Protection Plan; guess I should have asked.

If you did not read the agreements it is understandable that you MAY have heard them explaining the standard unit commitment VS the advanced unit commitment; so maybe mis-heard exactly what was said. Its an easy mistake and case to make; its all I am saying..

The entity to report to would be the BBB and be sure to tell them you failed to read the agreements.

I assumed he had the Protection Plan; guess I should have asked.

If you did not read the agreements it is understandable that you MAY have heard them explaining the standard unit commitment VS the advanced unit commitment; so maybe mis-heard exactly what was said. Its an easy mistake and case to make; its all I am saying..

The entity to report to would be the BBB and be sure to tell them you failed to read the agreements.

Thanks. Do you have the right place to go within the BBB, i.e. do you have a email address or a phone #? Or do i start with Untitled

Yep; that link will get you going. Use this link Download

and use "DirecTV" as your keyword to select the correct company. Be sure to read all the instructions and qualifiers.

Like said above I would go through DirecTV's retention line before this.

Yep; that link will get you going. just use DirecTV as the keyword to search and then it should have links to file complaints.

Like above I would go through DirecTV's retention line before this.

Thanks. Do you have the number of the DirecTV retention line.

See, I'll never sign another commitment to save my life. I finally got out of my cingular/att contract and the first thing I did was dump them for tracfone. I used 72 minutes in december and had thousands of rollover minutes "expire." They were adament that the best they could do for me was $50/month. Yeah, right.

My take: Provide a superior service and you don't need to lock sheep into a contract.

See, I'll never sign another commitment to save my life. I finally got out of my cingular/att contract and the first thing I did was dump them for tracfone. I used 72 minutes in december and had thousands of rollover minutes "expire." They were adament that the best they could do for me was $50/month. Yeah, right.

My take: Provide a superior service and you don't need to lock sheep into a contract.

Exactly. I cant believe the SCAM DirecTV runs. Anyway I am determined to expose them.

These threads always brighten my day. They fill the gap between the NFL seasons when people try to explain their way out of blackout and cancellation rules for Sunday ticket.

Good luck with your BBB complaint.

Extending the contract after replacing a defective unit may be legal, but it is not right. This will do nothing but cause hard feelings among their customers, IMHO

I personally will NEVER EVER sign a 2 year contract again. I went through 3 HR20s in 4 months. I have not requested termination of that contract because I know about how far that would get me. But in my opinion, I signed a contract in good faith. I have held up my end of it...but with the crappie service since Sept., can Directv say they have? :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)