Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Last night’s Super Bowl had people cheering and it wasn’t just for the New York Giants amazing victory over the New England Patriots, b...

CLICK HERE FOR THE REST...

Catch new editions of "The Satellite Dish" at MultiChannel.COM!

If this can be done (Showing a national hd network feed out of market), why cant dish and directv show all of the big 4 networks in hd to all of their customers? Either laws were broken, and directv should be fined, or both providers ought to be able to show all 4 nets in hd to all of the subscribers It shouldnt be " well it was the superbowl, etc..

I am all for people having a choice. Offer everyone nationals in hd. If they want to watch their locals in hd (If available) great. If they want to watch the nationals(who probably actually show the hd programming in hd, unlike my stations who "forget to flip the switch" and show the programs in sd or dont broadcast in hd yet) thats great too. Maybe then the locals would get their act together.
Thanks.

If this can be done (Showing a national hd network feed out of market), why cant dish and directv show all of the big 4 networks in hd to all of their customers? Either laws were broken, and directv should be fined, or both providers ought to be able to show all 4 nets in hd to all of the subscribers It shouldnt be " well it was the superbowl, etc..

I am all for people having a choice. Offer everyone nationals in hd. If they want to watch their locals in hd (If available) great. If they want to watch the nationals(who probably actually show the hd programming in hd, unlike my stations who "forget to flip the switch" and show the programs in sd or dont broadcast in hd yet) thats great too. Maybe then the locals would get their act together.
Thanks.

It all depends on agreements in place with fox and the NFL. Remember who has close ties with directv! That would be fox! If directv signed an agreement with the NFL that gave them the rights to air that programming, as the original owners of the programming, then directv can do it. It doesnt matter if its on a national channel or not. I dont think any rules or laws were broken as I do belive that Directv does have exclusive rights as per there agreement with the NFL sunday ticket to air the superbowl exclusively like this. Ultimatly, what it boils down to is If this is what the NFL decided as owners of the originating programming then there isnt anything dish could do about it, other than playing more nicely in the future or bidding higher!

I thought that it was explained that a portion of affiliate viewers had lost access to OTA signal and this was an emergency effort put in place last minute by agreement.

Was this false info?

I thought that it was explained that a portion of affiliate viewers had lost access to OTA signal and this was an emergency effort put in place last minute by agreement.

Was this false info?

That would certainly explain how Fox was able to get away with breaking what are surely contract restrictions with most of it's non-O&O affiliates.

The bad thing is it is technically impossible for Dish to outbid DirecTV. The contract for NFLST gives DirecTV Right of First Refusal. Basically DirecTV has the right to match any offer that the NFL gets, and the NFL has to go with DirecTV.

It all depends on agreements in place with fox and the NFL. Remember who has close ties with directv! That would be fox! If directv signed an agreement with the NFL that gave them the rights to air that programming, as the original owners of the programming, then directv can do it. It doesnt matter if its on a national channel or not. I dont think any rules or laws were broken as I do belive that Directv does have exclusive rights as per there agreement with the NFL sunday ticket to air the superbowl exclusively like this. Ultimatly, what it boils down to is If this is what the NFL decided as owners of the originating programming then there isnt anything dish could do about it, other than playing more nicely in the future or bidding higher!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)