DirecTV Self Install (3LNB-SWM)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jakematracia

Original poster
Jul 17, 2014
Hello again,

Over the summer I purchased a second home in the same area. I have DirecTV at my primary residency but wish to take my spare box with me when I go to my second home. At my primary home, I have a SWM setup with 5 boxes. The new home had an older satellite dish that I took down.

I am having trouble getting my new setup to work. I have purchased a 3LNB SWM, 8-Way SWM Splitter, and a 21V Power Inserter. I am using RG6 Coax cabling. The box I have is a H24 Receiver SWM. I have been currently debugging for two months with no luck. Super frustrating! I want to do it myself because thats who I am. I like to know my systems considering I am a Computer Networking major in college.

I have included a diagram with what I have tried. Any help would be appreciated
directv.jpg

That's all fine except you can remove the splitter.

Ensure you run satellite setup on the H24 and select SWM3. Short of that, if you don't get signal the problem likely rides with aiming your dish.

If you could be a bit more specific about exactly what is failing, it would be easier to offer assistance. For example, does the receiver work fine at your primary residence? Are you having problems with the aiming? What error messages are you seeing, if any? You really do need to be more specific.

One item sticks out and that is that you do not need a splitter when you only have one receiver in the setup. So, just running a line directly from the PI to the LNB would be better in this setup.

Yes the receiver works at my primary.
I think my aim is good but would I still get an error if it was off aim?
I am getting an error code 771.
The previous installation used a splitter which is why I am using one now.

Yes, they are fine. My guess is you just need to go through the dish alignment procedure. You can't just point the dish at the nominal coordinates and expect it to work.

Do you have any good recommendations on documentation? My biggest issue is azimuth.

If you have a smartphone, download SatelliteAR. It will give you a very good idea where the satellites are located. Most smartphones have a built in compass app. Make sure the mast is plumb, set the elevation and skew and tighten the bolts enough to keep the dish from moving. Sweep the area where the 101 satellite is, moving the dish slowly. That gives the receiver enough time to register any changes in signal strength.

The issue was aligning the satellite. Thanks everyone! I need not call DirecTV to align my satellites again. Can I mark this as solved?

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)