Directv self install and activation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kikenovic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Somewhere in time
Hi everyone, first post on this forum, hope you are doing fine.

Has anyone purchased a receiver from a retail store (eg Best Buy), performed the complete setup (you know, getting and setting up the dish, running the cable, getting channel 100 up, etc) then just called for activation? This would be for the first receiver in my account. Yes, I have an account, but the installation was not performed (please, don't ask).

I know they do it for free, and would get nice rebates, blah blah blah, etc etc.

I'm ok with giving up all of those freebies. I have my reasons for wanting to do it this way. (No, I'm not moving to Canada)

Thanks in advance.

Find a reseller.

You have to open an account and they can do that. They will also distribute the equipment. They have to verify that the equipment is activated at your address (not in Canada) but would also be more than willing to let you work on your own installation.

Call Directv first and you will get someone from their Home Service Provider system; you roll the dice with that....but they too will arrive with the equipment.

Joe

You should be able to buy a dish and receiver and install it yourself. You don't have to let DIRECTV install the dish. They won't provide you with the dish unless they install it.

If they say a DIRECTV installer has to be there in person to verify it's installed at your address just tell them to schedule an appointment to have someone come over and verify it's installed at your address.

If the undisclosed reason why you're doing it that way is to avoid the 2 year commitment, that wont do it. Activating the receiver kicks off the commitment, not the free install.

About the only good reason why you'd want to do it yourself is because you feel you'll do a better job than the directv installer, or will at least take more care.

I guess wanting a receiver installed in your meth lab or money printing room would also qualify ;)

I have done this before without any issues! I got 2 HD DVR's and the SLimeline 3 lnb dish, and all hardware. Walked in, opened accout, paid $100 for the extra dvr and walked out withe everything :) ZERO issues :)

I have done like the OP is asking as well.
My original install was done and working before I called them.
Channel 100, 200, 201, 500 ect. all worked.
Called D* and wanted to activate and they did it without any trouble.
They would LIKE to do the install so they know that it's done the correct way, but it's not really necessary.
That said, if you have them do the initall install, they bring the equipment, vs you buying the equipment.

I have done like the OP is asking as well.
My original install was done and working before I called them.
Channel 100, 200, 201, 500 ect. all worked.
Called D* and wanted to activate and they did it without any trouble.
They would LIKE to do the install so they know that it's done the correct way, but it's not really necessary.
That said, if you have them do the initall install, they bring the equipment, vs you buying the equipment.

True Dat!

My thought was opening the account. The credit wonks seem to change their standards without warning. They could come up with a reason to say no deal and then you watch channel 100.

Joe

Hi everyone, first post on this forum, hope you are doing fine.

Has anyone purchased a receiver from a retail store (eg Best Buy), performed the complete setup (you know, getting and setting up the dish, running the cable, getting channel 100 up, etc) then just called for activation? This would be for the first receiver in my account. Yes, I have an account, but the installation was not performed (please, don't ask).

I know they do it for free, and would get nice rebates, blah blah blah, etc etc.

I'm ok with giving up all of those freebies. I have my reasons for wanting to do it this way. (No, I'm not moving to Canada)

Thanks in advance.

True Dat!

My thought was opening the account. The credit wonks seem to change their standards without warning. They could come up with a reason to say no deal and then you watch channel 100.

Joe

See Bold :)

I really doubt DIRECTV would ever say - No deal, and leave you only being able to watch channel 100. :)

No, your right, they wouldn't do that, but they seem to question (?) wonder how someone other than thier employees could possibly do such an install ..... At least the lady I spoke with gave me that thought.

I told her that I had been setting these up for many years now.

She was puzzled.

I really doubt DIRECTV would ever say - No deal, and leave you only being able to watch channel 100. :)

I am a little gun-shy of irregular requests,

As an installer I have sat around in customer houses petting the dog and playing with the kids while a prospective Directv customer goes around and around with the CSR over previous accounts, open balances and missing equipment before an activation can happen.

None of that is the case here. It is rare that it ever happens after an installation is completed. I did miss the detail that there was already an open account.

Sometimes people want to bypass the Directv contact. Sometimes they just want to install their own stuff. And there are also people out there Directv will not deal with any longer. Just acquiring the equipment will not fix the relationship. For these few who can't make nice with Directv channel 100 is their satellite world.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts