DirecTV Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

crimedogg

Original poster
Aug 20, 2017
California
First, thank you in advance for any assistance you provide. I currently have a tv in the main house connected to an HR54-500. Also in the main house, I have 2 additional wireless minis (C41). We are remodeling our "pool house" into a tv room and have run cables to hardwire into the HR54 if necessary. We also have a network that covers our property, so additional wireless minis are possible as well. There will be 3 tv's in the new room, for a total of 6. I know there is a limit to the number of different shows that can be running at the same time. I have been told a different number by multiple AT&T reps. We will likely never be attempting to watch all 6 at the same time anyway. We would have to be able to watch 4 different shows at once and 5 would be ideal in some rare instances. Any suggestions? Should I use wired clients in the new room or attempt to use wireless? Again, thank you for any input. I clearly don't have the knowledge and AT&T is of little help.

:welcome to Satelliteguys crimedogg!

Wired is always better, but not always practical. You can have up to eight clients, but only three active at one time. You might want to consider a dvr or receiver instead of a client. That would increase your usable screens.

May also consider the Genie 2 as well. It supports 7 simultaneous streams and has a larger hard drive. They’re handing the upgrades out like Halloween candy right now.

Reactions: TermiNader
Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the ignorance, but as far as adding a dvr or receiver, how would that work in conjunction to the rest of the system? For example, if I add a receiver/dvr and 2 Genie minis to the new room instead of 3 minis, would that mean that I could watch 4 shows at once if one of them was on the receiver/dvr? If so, would the only downside on that particular tv be that I couldn't access the recorded content off of the HR54? That really wouldn't be an issue for me. The new room with only have all 3 tv's on to watch 3 different sporting events at once. Only the bigger tv will ever need to access the recorded content on the HR54. The other 2 smaller tv's could have a separate dvr if that would allow 4 or 5 shows to be viewed at the same time. Would you say that is the way to go? Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the ignorance, but as far as adding a dvr or receiver, how would that work in conjunction to the rest of the system? For example, if I add a receiver/dvr and 2 Genie minis to the new room instead of 3 minis, would that mean that I could watch 4 shows at once if one of them was on the receiver/dvr? If so, would the only downside on that particular tv be that I couldn't access the recorded content off of the HR54? That really wouldn't be an issue for me. The new room with only have all 3 tv's on to watch 3 different sporting events at once. Only the bigger tv will ever need to access the recorded content on the HR54. The other 2 smaller tv's could have a separate dvr if that would allow 4 or 5 shows to be viewed at the same time. Would you say that is the way to go? Thanks again for your time and assistance.
HR24 has 2 tuners ... the Genie has 5 ....
Only 1 Genie per account.

Just checked. August 4th, available nationally for upgrades and movers.
Just upgraded in Orange County, CA: HS17 Genie and three 4K minis. All hard wired internet DECA/MoCA via ethernet and video via coax. Turned in HR44 Genie, HR24 and HR20.

+ $420 credit for first year ($35/month)
+ free equipment and install (took 3 hours)
+ Sports Pack free for one year
+ NFL Sunday Ticket free for one year
+ Mayweather-Macgregor PPV fight free

+ much faster remote response
+ excellent 4K content and sound quality
+ no more recordings conflicts on one DVR as 7 tuners are available
+ more recording space; using 4TB external
+ video and audio stuttering went away after firmware update one hour after install
+ stayed integrated with my TV and AVR; no setup changes needed
+ future proofed with new LNB, SWiM, hardware, firmware support

- channel changing time still slower than desired, about the same as before
- basically only one 4K channel, DirecTV content
- anything that takes server down (e.g., reboot) takes down every client
- mobile dvr and on demand not working (yet)

I am a 20 year customer. Last upgrade was 2007 for HD. I was out if contract and don't mind another two years!

Last edited:
Reactions: cinsu

Not sure I follow all of that, BUT you can watch recorded content from any of your DVRs on any set top box with DirecTV's whole home feature if I remember correctly.

Not sure I follow all of that, BUT you can watch recorded content from any of your DVRs on any set top box with DirecTV's whole home feature if I remember correctly.
Yes, which you have to have with a Genie.

Not available here yet.
At least we have none on the shelf in the warehouse.

Need to have a chat with the supply chain folks...
345DFA86-F934-454C-9CD0-1CB37301C1F7.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)