Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
As we mentioned after the DIRECTV Revolution show in Las Vegas, DIRECTV was planning on making all new installs HD only... meaning no more SD equipment to new customers.

Here are more details on this as the plan goes into effect on July 24th.

- New Customers only
- New customers will only get HD equipment
- Advance Receiver Fee going down to $15.00 (If they get DVR)
- customer will pay $6.00 for first receiver
- (Old customer will pay $25.00 for advance receiver Fee but not $6.00 fee on first receiver)

Reactions: goaliebob99
So new customers don't have to pay the HD fee? That is simply unacceptable. I am one of the few who has HD free for life, so it doesn't effect me, but I feel for those who D* screws with the $10 fee.

what about people on the old fee system with DRV, MRV, and HD all as there own line?

I see it as

new $15+6= $21
older $10+10+3=$23
old $25

It's about time that they went to HD only ... next we need to get the SD STB's out of the system.

This could be done relatively quickly, but D* would have to foot the bill and it would be a substantial one if they replaced all SD subs with HD, however, THATS what needs to be done.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejb1980 and Broe67
Found out about this a while ago. But nothing of the fees. We're being told that were not getting sd equipment in at all anymore.. so something has to be done for upgrades and service calls. Then when an all sd system breaks and the dish needs to be upgraded everything is gonna get all messed up for techs. I hope they build all future service calls for sd equipment as upgrades at least. I don't work for free...

Found out about this a while ago. But nothing of the fees. We're being told that were not getting sd equipment in at all anymore.. so something has to be done for upgrades and service calls. Then when an all sd system breaks and the dish needs to be upgraded everything is gonna get all messed up for techs. I hope they build all future service calls for sd equipment as upgrades at least. I don't work for free...
Why would you think you wouldn't be paid for upgrading a sub from SD to HD thru D* ?

They could make a stipulation for this type of Service Call if they so desired.

IF they desire. Directv is very very picky at what can be paid on sc's and what can be closed on it as well. It's going to be a nightmare for us for a few years I do believe. Like kitty said, we've know this news for some time. We haven't received SD equipment in prolly a month. We techs have already started the conversion though. For well over a year we've been sticking SWM3's on everything. 1 box standard, here have a SWM3 ;)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

They will need to replace all the SD boxes. They'll probably publish a schedule in fine print somewhere notifying all customers that SD transmission will be stopped on such and such date. Which, a ton of future irate customers, will be completely ignore.

Reactions: flyfish99
They will need to replace all the SD boxes. They'll probably publish a schedule in fine print somewhere notifying all customers that SD transmission will be stopped on such and such date. Which, a ton of future irate customers, will be completely ignore.

what about commercial users will they get boxes with coax out and maybe composite

I would expect in a few years, if that, that SD on the 101 will be non existent, or migrated over to MPEG4. That would free up space to possibly move the HD stuff (getting rid of SD duplicates) from 103 as they now can move over to the 101. That would open up even more bandwidth for more HD and 4k. Add reverse band into the mix and Directv is sitting really good when it comes to bandwith for 4k and HD. It could be possible that we could eventually be seeing an all HD system on directv???? Speculation though! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts