DirecTV Slimline 5-LNB Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

monstorbak

Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
United States
I have a skilled technical background in electronics, however, I am a novice at satellite setup so any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently moved into a new house and need help installing the 5-LNB Slimline. I will initially have 3 TV's, 1 HD-DVR/1 HD/1 Standard. Will I need a multiswitch with this setup? If so, what kind?

I am not very familiar with how the multiswitch works, but I know it's used for connecting multiple receivers. I also know that this dish comes with it's own multiswitch that supports up to 4 receivers. My plan was to run the line down to my cable box where the cable already runs through the house. Can I do this?

Also, any advice on how to locate the satellites with a Radio Shack signal finder ($40)?

Thanks in advance.

I have a skilled technical background in electronics, however, I am a novice at satellite setup so any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently moved into a new house and need help installing the 5-LNB Slimline. I will initially have 3 TV's, 1 HD-DVR/1 HD/1 Standard. Will I need a multiswitch with this setup? If so, what kind?

I am not very familiar with how the multiswitch works, but I know it's used for connecting multiple receivers. I also know that this dish comes with it's own multiswitch that supports up to 4 receivers. My plan was to run the line down to my cable box where the cable already runs through the house. Can I do this?

Also, any advice on how to locate the satellites with a Radio Shack signal finder ($40)?

Thanks in advance.

Ok,
First off, with the recvr's you have listed you have a total of 4 tuners(2 in the DVR), therefore you will NOT need a Multiswitch.
Run 2 lines to the HD DVR and one to the others.

I would run all 4 lines from the dish to a Ground block and run the recvr coax from there.

Why are you not having D* do this install ?

Last edited:
I have to mount the dish in an obscure location (wife doesnt want a noticeably huge dish in our lawn) and the DTV installer wouldn't do it.

So what you're saying is that I need to run all four lines directly to each receiver? This would mean that I would have to run each individual line from the dish outside to each receiver on different floors. Is there a more efficient way to do this, like routing the signal through the existing cable in the house?

I realize this might not be a possibility but I'm trying to get everything right the first time. I also plan on getting another TV within the next year.

To reduce the number of lines from the dish into the house you'll need an SWM LNB on the dish. In the house you add an SWS splitter to feed the receivers. However, ALL receivers will have to be SWM capable. The HD DVR will only need one line connected, but it will support dual tuners. The other limitation is that with the SWM dish it will only support 8 tuners.

I have to mount the dish in an obscure location (wife doesnt want a noticeably huge dish in our lawn) and the DTV installer wouldn't do it.

So what you're saying is that I need to run all four lines directly to each receiver? This would mean that I would have to run each individual line from the dish outside to each receiver on different floors. Is there a more efficient way to do this, like routing the signal through the existing cable in the house?

I realize this might not be a possibility but I'm trying to get everything right the first time. I also plan on getting another TV within the next year.

What happened to running all four lines to the Ground block and go from there ?
Post # 2

The grounding block is simply a level of protection. Running all 4 cables to the grounding block still means I have to route all 4 cables to different places in the house. I'm just looking for something to lessen my drilling and cable routing.

I don't plan on buying a SWM LNB so I might just have to suck it up and set aside time to route everything.

The grounding block is simply a level of protection. Running all 4 cables to the grounding block still means I have to route all 4 cables to different places in the house. I'm just looking for something to lessen my drilling and cable routing.

I don't plan on buying a SWM LNB so I might just have to suck it up and set aside time to route everything.

Yes, you need to run the rest of the lines to the recvr's you need, not to sound dumb, but how did you want the signal to get to each recvr. ?

The SWM stuff just makes it so you can use one line for both tuners, but you still have to have a line run to the unit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)