DIRECTV statement regarding NFL HD 2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So to recap the drama:

DirecTV 10 has some issues with the parallel parking, but everything should still be go for September.

Separately, folks there's a lot of understandable anxiety about the sale to Liberty Media.

Is this a fair assessment, Scott?

I just got a call and an email from a member (thanks) with word that it appears Boeing will be handing off control to DirecTV fully on Wednesday.

If this is true then it is good news. :)

So to recap the drama:

DirecTV 10 has some issues with the parallel parking, but everything should still be go for September.

Separately, folks there's a lot of understandable anxiety about the sale to Liberty Media.

Is this a fair assessment, Scott?
Thats a good summery George. Some folks made it a lot more then what it was.

I just got a call and an email from a member (thanks) with word that it appears Boeing will be handing off control to DirecTV fully on Wednesday.

If this is true then it is good news. :)

FINALLY! Hopefully the end of all this is near and we can get back to watching TV vs. a satellite.

And a big collective WHEW!! goes out from the Directv subs. :D

1) I will let the TLE numbers speak for themself, and I think we should all hope and pray they get the inclination under control. Remember this is a KA bird not KU so the beam is much tighter.

The beam (i.e, beamwidth of the receiving dish, not the bird) is definitely narrower, but not all that much. I haven't seen any design specs for the Slimline, but assuming uniform illumination (and that I did the math correctly--I did a bit of antenna design in a past life but that was a while ago), the half-power beamwidth in both elevation and azimuth will be inversely proportional to frequency and the Ka beam will be about. 2/3 as wide as the Ku beam or approx. 1.2 degrees vs. 1.8 degrees in azimuth (~58 degrees x wavelength/width of dish). With a tapered illumination, the beamwidth would be slightly greater than that.

The beam (i.e, beamwidth of the receiving dish, not the bird) is definitely narrower, but not all that much. I haven't seen any design specs for the Slimline, but assuming uniform illumination (and that I did the math correctly--I did a bit of antenna design in a past life but that was a while ago), the half-power beamwidth in both elevation and azimuth will be inversely proportional to frequency and the Ka beam will be about. 2/3 as wide as the Ku beam or approx. 1.2 degrees vs. 1.8 degrees in azimuth (~58 degrees x wavelength/width of dish). With a tapered illumination, the beamwidth would be slightly greater than that.

That's great Bob, really.:rolleyes: Actually I have no idea what any of that meant.
A non technical guys assessment of todays thread: Somebody started some Bogus bad news or at least read into something that was not near the problem they thought it would be, and ran with it. the snowball turned into an avalanche, and without pointing fingers, because i wouldn't know who to point at anyway, not what I would call the most responsible reporting.
Hope it's done, glad it's over.

My 2 cents...

So to recap the drama:

The primary reason for buyouts/mergers is to consolidate services, thereby reducing staff requirements. Understandable anxiety indeed.

I submit that beam width, with respect to DBS signal reception, has nothing to do with the receiving dish.

No but satellite positioning sure does. You have to point a Ka dish very precisely in order to get a good signal. If that Sat is not where it should be(or where you expect it to be) you will not get a good signal.

It was nice to see that I did not have to but Superfan this year to get them in HD. When this was happenign I called D and they told me that the HD is not a part of Superfan anymore. You will get HD by jsut buying Sunday Ticket

The primary reason for buyouts/mergers is to consolidate services, thereby reducing staff requirements.
This stock swap with a cash kicker is more of a stock holdings consolidation than a merger. The News Corp -- Liberty deal involves stock in each other's companies as well as interests in a couple of RSNs and some cash.

It was nice to see that I did not have to but Superfan this year to get them in HD. When this was happenign I called D and they told me that the HD is not a part of Superfan anymore. You will get HD by jsut buying Sunday Ticket
They were wrong. HD is part of Superfan. The reason you were seeing HD games (in the 700 channels) is because Superfan was free to all ST subs last weekend.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)