Directv subscribers subject to collateral damage from Dish/Fox stalemate

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gretschdrum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Hey Folks, I have some news to pass on and would like some advice or explanations from some of the senior members on here that have more knowledge about transmission/black out policies.

Last week I switched over from Dish to Directv. So far, so good. I did this primarily because of the Fox issue and rising monthly rates.

The problem occurred this past Tuesday, the 12th. I was watching the Atlanta vs. Los Angeles NHL game (on center ice) when it was blacked out mid-game. This should not have happened. My local RSNs (Sportsouth and Fox Sports South) were NOT televising. Only FSN West (LA's broadcaster) was televising. I've subscribed to Center Ice for years and when this scenario happens the non-broadcasting team (Atlanta in this case) always has access to view the Center Ice feed from the team who is televising. In fact, I have documentation from the NHL showing that the away team (Atlanta) had lifted the black out.

The next day I spoke to a very knowledgeable representative from Fox Sports South and was told that due to the Dish/Fox negotiations that ALL Atlanta Thrashers' games would be blacked out on Center Ice regardless of TV provider and regardless of the local RSNs not televising. Since then I've emailed again asking why this should affect Directv or cable customers and have not received a response. How can they do this? Those blackouts have never happend before and why does the Dish negotiation punish other TV providers? Keep in mind that I'm speaking of the Atlanta area being blacked out, not other parts of the country.

Any enlightenment on this would be appreciated.

Phil
FYI, I'm in the metro Atlanta area and totally understand that the Center Ice feeds are blacked out when my local RSN is broadcasting the game. Also, the Fox representative said that once the Fox/Dish problem is settled that they will again lift all blackouts for games not televised by the local RSN.

Na, I don't see that being the case. Isn't that same thing as Dish losing Fox period then saying I cannot have it because I am on D* Sounds like a lazy uninformed answer you got.

Na, I don't see that being the case. Isn't that same thing as Dish losing Fox period then saying I cannot have it because I am on D* Sounds like a lazy uninformed answer you got.

Honestly, I hope you are right and that Tuesday's black out was just a start-of-the-season foul up. However, I've dealt with this person (at Fox) a few times over the past few years and they've been spot on with each piece of information I've ever gotten.

I wish I could help you understand these "Blackouts" but if you call DTV they just read from the script about "other networks" must be carrying the game in your area. I know when it's a screw-up & the only satisfaction & resolution I ever got was dealing with Ellen Flipiak at corporate. This stuff should all be monitored with today's technology & fixed within seconds but sadly they love reading from their scripts. Nothing made me madder last year when CBS "took us to the ending of another game" "for our enjoyment" which subsequently went into full overtime; this blacked out the game of the year on my local network as well as on Sunday Ticket. Under this scenario, they are supposed to turn on the "blacked out" game on Sunday Ticket until the overtime game ended....which lasted almost the full half of the Indy game.

The problem occurred this past Tuesday, the 12th. I was watching the Atlanta vs. Los Angeles NHL game (on center ice) when it was blacked out mid-game. This should not have happened. My local RSNs (Sportsouth and Fox Sports South) were NOT televising. Only FSN West (LA's broadcaster) was televising. I've subscribed to Center Ice for years and when this scenario happens the non-broadcasting team (Atlanta in this case) always has access to view the Center Ice feed from the team who is televising. In fact, I have documentation from the NHL showing that the away team (Atlanta) had lifted the black out.
I don't know about this document, but away feeds of your local team is always blacked out.

I don't know about this document, but away feeds of your local team is always blacked out.

DodgerKing, what you said is not always true. When your local team is being broadcast on a local station or RSN, then yes, the away team feed IS blacked out.

However, when your local team is NOT broadcasting the game the opposing team's feed should be available. I've had Center Ice for years (on cable, on Dish, and now Directv) and have watched games from opposing teams' feeds MANY times when the local team did not televise. Black out 'lifts' for that type of situatoin are the norm.

DodgerKing, what you said is not always true. When your local team is being broadcast on a local station or RSN, then yes, the away team feed IS blacked out.

However, when your local team is NOT broadcasting the game the opposing team's feed should be available. I've had Center Ice for years (on cable, on Dish, and now Directv) and have watched games from opposing teams' feeds MANY times when the local team did not televise. Black out 'lifts' for that type of situatoin are the norm.

Which begs the question where do you live that your local team is not on tv? I know here there is not a single pro team I can't watch when they play.

Which begs the question where do you live that your local team is not on tv? I know here there is not a single pro team I can't watch when they play.

Did you not read the original post?!?!?!:mad:

Sorry, just being a jackass. :D I'm in Atlanta. Down here neither the Thrashers or Hawks televise all their games. It's more common than you might think. A LOT of NHL and NBA miss a few games here and there.

I understand what you are saying. When my Canes don't broadcast a game on my local FSN and the other team is broadcasting it, I can watch the away team feed on Center Ice.

I honestly think it was a mistake but one time this happened when I was with Dish and I emailed the team itself and they made sure it was correct the next time a game was like that. Hope this helps a little?

Also remember it's up to the actual team to wave the blackouts on Center Ice (for these type of games). It has nothing to do with Directv. I would contact the team and not worry about wasting your time with trying to ask FSN or Directv.

I've also seen where the Nashville Predators don't broadcast a home feed, and hear local people say "you have to have NHL Center Ice to view this game", heard that while listening to 104.5 the zone in Nashville a few times. Side note, I have Comcast, and I am in the Nashville area and neither FS South or Sportsouth are showing the Predators/Blues game, yet the NHL Center Ice channel is blackedout, is this happening on DirecTV as well or anyone else with Comcast in the Nashville area having this issue?

Last edited:
I remember watching an Atlanta Thrashers home game on Center Ice last season and the audio was from their radio broadcast and the video was from a webcast feed. Very old-fashioned feeling.

I don't think it was a mistake. The HOME team has exclusive rights to the games in the home market. During the preseason this year, the Sabres were on the NHL Net and the game was blacked out of the Buffalo Market because it wasn't being done so by MSG. The only time when another outletcan broadcast the Sabres games in the Buffalo DMA is when NBC or Versus has national rights to the game. This applies to Cable and DBS only. We can get HNIC OTA here and on cable TV and their broadcasts are never blacked out on cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts