Directv Sucks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

boston area dtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
Boston
In the post below Scott states that Directv Sucks.

What I cant fathom is why he would insult the intelligence of many of the members here.

Do you think he was trying to alienate the people in this forum or perhaps he just doesn't get it?

As for D* it pummels E* and comcast in what it offers. Sure the PQ might not be as pristine as E* or Comcast but then again if E* and comcast have programming which is crap to me, why would I want to watch pristine crap?

I like sports. And in sports E* and comcast do not compare. They arent even on the playing field.

Dont get me wrong if you want to watch monster movies or kung fu in HD by all means there are other choices out there and D* certainly doesnt have that. They certainly dont have the replay package of NFL games either.

But I guess my reasons for having D* and the reasons for many of the other members in this forum who subscribe to D* have been dismissed by Scott.

Im disappointed in you Scott.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=692075&postcount=98

The previous post is another example of the problem.

I'd like to inject some reason before we have our 2,999th thread with 500 posts that inevitably turn ugly regarding "he said/she said" or else "X is better than z".

As a customer of 3 sat services & 4 cable services for both standard definition during the past 18 years, as well as HDTV, I'd like to think I've had some exposure to the real world. I've seen the evolution of SD and HDTV via several providers. My longest experience (over 14 years) has been with DirecTV. I happen to be very please with their service, their HD, and their commitment to their product for the future. My views of these services are based on my experience and a network of about 60 other users with them ---but just like anyone else - its an opinion.

Having been in the bowels of several of these threads (ok...a poor metaphor) - I'm gonna try to suggest the following observations:

1) Early adopters being what we are, tend to fork over some significant money for equipment and services for the privilege of being early adopters. We learn alot along the way, get to experience some cool things, all while going through the bumps in the road with beta software/firmware, untested hardware, and inexperienced support people who ususally know less than we do, because they have no field experience similar to ours. This makes us no better, just more "street smart" about a few things.

2) Because of item 1, we early adopters tend to be more passionate about our equipment, service, and the like, mostly because we paid more than some folks and enjoy what we have beyond the mainstream users. We also tend to treat this as a hobby, reading alot....and getting on boards like this one. My first visits to the boards was years ago, trying to learn what I could at the time about several topics. Some people were very helpful, while others are pompous, insulting, and such.

3) I've learned that because of item 2, things can get emotional when anyone says they either love or hate any service or product on a message board. There are trolls who apparently are so insecure and have almost a predatory personality, that they seize every moment to insult and attack others for their opinions or views or experiences. For this, I look to those that say "its only TV" - maybe an understatement to some, but at least there's some reason to it as well.

4) All the message board operators I've met (5 so far) in person, all share the passion for their topics. They're people too! The only issue I've really had with any board operator/moderator, is that their threshold for tolerance of ongoing negative activities by certain posters is far too high. I'm all for freedom of speech, but not at the expense of others.

Hopefully, everyone can take a few deep breaths, count to 10, and regain some sanity and reason in these threads.

Life's short....its only HDTV (yes I love it too) -- these are the only true facts you can count on. Opinions are opinions, regardless of who says them.

It would be most refreshing to return these message boards to information boards, rather than amateurish talk radio insult sessions. I still have faith in the vast majority of the posters here. :up

I feel like I'm on a LSD flashback to Ross Perot and NAFTA, "This agreement will create a giant sucking sound that is US Jobs moving to Mexico"!

Digital Dude said:
I feel like I'm on a LSD flashback to Ross Perot and NAFTA, "This agreement will create a giant sucking sound that is US Jobs moving to Mexico"!
I love you man.

By the way while I am at it. The entire "TurdBird" thing is ridiculous. If in fact he made the statement, it was in regard to himself, his investment and business plans. It was not in regard to D*s service, PQ or anything else that has anything to do with me or any other subscriber. Les Wexner has been quoted as stating that the separation of many of his companies away from the "Limited" umbrella was a major pain in the ass, that does not imply in any way at all the the Limited, Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie, etc....are bad companies or don't do well by the consumer. The statement has been used by D* bashers as contempt for the entire company, which is absurd and a pathetic reach. Having it is a signature on the otherhand was funny for about a day or two.

Satmeister said:
4) All the message board operators I've met (5 so far) in person, all share the passion for their topics. They're people too! The only issue I've really had with any board operator/moderator, is that their threshold for tolerance of ongoing negative activities by certain posters is far too high. I'm all for freedom of speech, but not at the expense of others.

Amen. A voice of reason...

Digital Dude said:
Cut out the personal attacks! I've warned people before.

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS!

I SUCK! Stupid!, stupid me! You're worthless, Foto...WORTHLESS!! hehe I apologize to anyone who doesn't see the humor in a personal attack on myself. I just got D* installed a few days ago, and to be honest I expected worse PQ having read all the whining. I had HD on cable and the HD I have now doesn't seem to be a big step down like people make it out to be. I could do without the channel freezing up every so often when watching an HD broadcast or recorded shows, but that is another issue.

After reading this thread I had to go back and read all the posts where this all started from by Sean and Scott. I have to say it seems like making a volcano out of an ant hill. I don't see where in that thread Sean is making the comparison of Direct to Dish, it is of Direct's commercial and his opinion of it's hypocracy and if anything that to cable. I am not a Direct subscriber, but I sure do see hundreds of posts about the poor quality of Direct's HD. He may have made statements in other theads, I'm certainly not going to read everything he wrote, but I just don't see the outrage based on that thread.

As for Scott - it as an illustrative remark - not that he thinks it necessarily sucks, but said to make a point only. By the way there was a time in the early stages of this board that Scott was accused of bashing Dish. I have seen him report things that were very unfavorable to Dish if he thought something was wrong. I love electronics and TV, but don't you think we are all taking this a little to seriously??

Fotograffiti said:
I SUCK! Stupid!, stupid me! You're worthless, Foto...WORTHLESS!! hehe I apologize to anyone who doesn't see the humor in a personal attack on myself. I just got D* installed a few days ago, and to be honest I expected worse PQ having read all the whining. I had HD on cable and the HD I have now doesn't seem to be a big step down like people make it out to be. I could do without the channel freezing up every so often when watching an HD broadcast or recorded shows, but that is another issue.

There's a byproduct of the discussions with a positive result. :) The bashing puts people's expectations at a very low level, then they're pleasantly surprised.

Personally I don't like to get too excited about the next great thing/product etc, placing the bar too high nearly always results in disappointment. I'm glad you like your DirecTV, I've had it for 6 years and sold literally hundreds of systems. Competition is good.

That commercial can't be for real.

According to the Star Trek universe, TV went obsolete in the 2040s, way before Kirk's time. :D

Neutron said:
That commercial can't be for real.

According to the Star Trek universe, TV went obsolete in the 2040s, way before Kirk's time. :D

Well obviously the Enterprise traveled back in time prior to the 2040's and they want some T.V. to watch until Mr. Spock can figure out how to get them back to the 24th century. :)

Digital Dude said:
Cut out the personal attacks! I've warned people before.

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS!

Digital, if you read the post in context with Vurbano's previous statement you would get it. Plus you left out the qualifier, good god man, I have sparred with Vurbano on several occasions and everyone here knows that if I was really personaly attacking him it would have been very colorful. His previous post was his usual childish post so I thought I would answer in kind, I am certain that V didn't take it personally.

Obviously these guys didn't get enough of slamming each other and each other's opinion in the recently closed thread. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=692263#post692263

Not one of these posts has said anything new.:rolleyes: Same posters with the same old BS, saying the same old things; throwing the same old childish barbs and name calling and changing no one's mind. Only to make a point they have tried to make 100's of times before without success.

Adults acting like children in a playground:D ZZZZZZZZZZZ A boring wasteful use of computer bandwidth that I am sure impresses new people to "Satellite Guys" coming here to learn and get help. Instead they see what they find in their home every night: Their children fighting!

Some will never move on, some will never grow up, and they will only enjoy these forums to get at each other, and very little else:mad:

I am certain this will illicit some childish outburst, but it is getting old.

Last edited:
The reason I started the thread was to try and understand why anyone would want to alienate his sites subscribers.

Its perfectly understandable for people to claim the D* sucks or even that E* sucks.

I just dont understand why the big cheese would make the comment without backing it up.

Ive always understood this sites slant towards E*. E* makes it easier on forums like this with charlie chat. E* is more forthcoming with information. And Scott HAS E*.

But what I dont understand is the constant D* bashing. This bashing goes seems to go beyond the normal mine is better than yours contest.

I thought this place was a place to come to learn and share information. Ive learned tons here.

What I dont get is why the mods here take shots at the people here. Sean is staff..and by ripping D* all the time he is basically taking shots at D* subs. Which are the people here.

I nearly fell out of my chair when Scott didnt issue a statement that sounded like "look both formats E* and D* have their faults I prefer E* and find them to be the better provider for me."

Maybe this part of the grand plan to build up the D* side. Troll to build up interest.

I just find it troubling that the E* mod didnt rip E*'s commercial for 24/7 football. If thats not hyperbole I dont know what is.

The E* mod did however take time to rip a D* commercial. I think people here expect more out of the people that run this place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts