Status
Please reply by conversation.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
DirecTV Inc. wants guaranteed access to regional sports networks before the federal government approves the takeover of Adelphia Communications Corp. by Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Inc.

In comments filed Thursday, DirecTV told the Federal Communications Commission that Comcast and Time Warner plan to build massive clusters designed to give the MSOs the leverage to control the distribution of regional sports channels, regardless of ownership.

DirecTV said the FCC should bar Comcast from withholding Comcast SportsNet in Philadelphia. The direct-broadcast satellite firm also called for the establishment of an arbitration process when talks over sports channels break down.

DirecTV noted that the cable merger conditions it is supporting are similar to the conditions the FCC imposed on News Corp.’s takeover of DirecTV in late 2003.

I feel if DirecTV is worried about access to regional sports then Comcast and Time Warner should have access to NFL Sunday Ticket to be fair.

cablewithaview said:
I feel if DirecTV is worried about access to regional sports then Comcast and Time Warner should have access to NFL Sunday Ticket to be fair.

Damn it! You stole my thunder thus my reply to this crap. They DTV doesn't give a crap when they withhold stuff from cable or other DBS providers so I say cable should work together to put them out of business. Cable could give the NFL a hell of a lot more money than DTV can.

It would have to be a joint venture with all cable companies but it could be done. I think cable should go ahead and make an agreement to carry NFL SUNDAY TICKET after DirecTV current contract expires. I also think it is crap when StarChoice customers in Canada can get the whole season of the NFL Sunday Ticket for less then $100 for the season, while we are paying over $200. now that's crap and shouldn't be tolerated !!!

Comcast Is The One To Blame Here. They Just Don't Care About Philly Sports Fans That Don't Live In Philly. I Would Never Give Comcast A Dime. Being A Boston Sports Fan In Pennsylvania I Can Turn On Directv And Watch Nesn Or Fox-new England. A Philly Fan In Colorado Or Wherever Cannot Get Their Philly Sports News Because Comcast Doesn't Want Them Too. As Far As The Nfl Sunday Ticket Goes, These Companies Should Have Put Up The Money 10-15 Years Ago When Directv Did. They Chose Not To. Now Directv Gets Exclusive Negotiations And The Package. The Nfl Could Always Give It To Cable And Dish, But They Choose Not To. Companies Like Time Warner And Comcast Thought That D* Would Never Last And That Nobody Would Ever Pay For An Nfl Package. They Were Wrong And Now They Are Paying For It. Its Cheaper For Me To Get The Package Than To Go Out Every Sunday And Watch The Games. I Know Because I Did It. Since 1997, However, I Can Sit In The Comfort Of My Own House And Watch Any Game I Want.

The NFL Sunday Ticket thing is a contract. The other, which would be keeping the RSN from Directv, is a monopoly.

cablewithaview said:
Not quite the same issue.

Comcast owns a channel they shop to other cable providers, but not satellite providers. This is specifically about a distributor denying access to other distributors.

The NFL shops rights around for a package of their Sunday afternoon out-of-market games. They sell to one distributor on an exclusive basis. The content creators are the ones selling to a single distributor. Much different scenario.
cablewithaview said:
I also think it is crap when StarChoice customers in Canada can get the whole season of the NFL Sunday Ticket for less then $100 for the season, while we are paying over $200. now that's crap and shouldn't be tolerated !!!
Uh, this is for American football. The market up north isn't as robust as the market down south. Canadians wouldn't pay what Americans pay, simply because American professional football is not the number one sport in Canada like it is here.

Let us not forget that the NFL does not really want to sell Sunday Ticket to cable. The market penetration for cable TV is quite high. The NFL doesn't want that many people to have access to Sunday Ticket, as the NFL does not want to dilute the value of the broadcast TV contracts currently held by CBS and FOX.

Neutron said:
The NFL Sunday Ticket thing is a contract. The other, which would be keeping the RSN from Directv, is a monopoly.

Exclusive, monopolistic, American football fan price gouging contract. Amazing how the Canadians dont get raped on the price like we do. The cable companies should charge directv an enormous price for access to RSN's. D* has agreed to pay the NFL that price. They should have to pay for this too. Maybe then the governement will put and end to this ST Bullsh!t if D* themselves complains. But I doubt they will complain about ST, they condone the price increases and this only encourages it to get worse.

vurbano said:
Exclusive, monopolistic, American football fan price gouging contract. Amazing how the Canadians dont get raped on the price like we do. The cable companies should charge directv an enormous price for access to RSN's. D* has agreed to pay the NFL that price. They should have to pay for this too. Maybe then the governement will put and end to this ST Bullsh!t if D* themselves complains. But I doubt they will complain about ST, they condone the price increases and this only encourages it to get worse.

True, I don't agree with the price for sure.

While I applaud D* for this move I'm not going to hold my breath for Comcast sportsnet philly. Comcast will use every penny they have to keep it off D* or any other DBS broadcaster.

vurbano said:
Exclusive, monopolistic, American football fan price gouging contract.
Hmm. Are you talking about DirecTV? I'd think you are talking about the NFL, as they hold the exclusivity (that is what they gave to DirecTV for extra $$$). They have also been declared a monopoly (see USFL v. NFL).

Sunday Ticket games are not Directv channels. D* has an agreement with the NFL to broadcast this package. It is the NFL, not D*, that will not allow cable to carry the ST. The NFL, for whatever reason, does not want the cable systems carrying ST. I agree with a previous poster that it might be FOX and CBS behind this to ensure their affiliates that people will see their games and their advertisers. I agree that it is a high price, but what can you do?

From what I understand anyone can bid on the NFL SUnday Ticket whenever it comes available. The reason DIRECTV has been able to hold on to the exclusive distribution is only because they bid extremely high and no other carrier was interested in competing with DIRECTV very large offer.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
From what I understand anyone can bid on the NFL SUnday Ticket whenever it comes available. The reason DIRECTV has been able to hold on to the exclusive distribution is only because they bid extremely high and no other carrier was interested in competing with DIRECTV very large offer.

-Robert

Hence the fat price tag. Its funny, 15 years ago we would have paid anything to watch are teams play. Now we are complaining that the price is too high.

I think we should complain when there is roughly $130 difference between U.S. and Canada. DirecTV should not go out and give an unreal bid for the package then expect us to pay for being reckless on there bidding.

Greg:

"Let us not forget that the NFL does not really want to sell Sunday Ticket to cable. The market penetration for cable TV is quite high. The NFL doesn't want that many people to have access to Sunday Ticket, as the NFL does not want to dilute the value of the broadcast TV contracts currently held by CBS and FOX."

You are correct. Perhaps a smaller PPV package would work. I get a lot of B and C games here so I will miss E* this year because I had the distant nets because I can't get most OTA and had a waiver for CBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.