DirecTV tailgate set up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hopfosu

Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Ohio
Last year I was successful in setting up a slimline 3S (SWM) for a tailgate until a windy day blew over my tripod and broke the LNB.

I ordered a new 3S LNB SWM and can't seem to find a strong enough signal. As you can see below, I am struggling to get many transponders and they are low signal. I've noticed they are all even transponders as well.

1-8 0 0 0 62 0 0 0 52
9-16 0 0 0 69 0 54 0 54
17-24 0 0 0 70 0 54 0 0
25-32 0 0 0 0 0 54 0 53

With my dish falling last year, could it be that the dish is out of wack? Did I order a bad LNB? I replaced coaxial cables too so that should not be an issue.

Equipment
Dish/LNB: slimline 3S (SWM)
PI: 29V
Receiver: H23-600

Help! Thanks in advance!

:welcome to Satelliteguys Hopfosu!

It's possible that the dish or arm was bent enough that the dish can't be aligned, or that the replacement lnb is faulty. Assuming they are okay, are you getting any signal strength on the other satellites? I'm assuming that the ones you posted are from 101.

Yes, those transponders are from 101. I actually have another 5S (SWM) LNB and after putting it on the dish, it gives me similar results.

It only gives me 1-2 weak transponder signals on other satellites.

My gut tells me the dish might be out of line from it falling last year but visual, it doesn't look bent.

You are using the power inserter, yes? Check all of your connections, too. Make sure there aren't any stray strands of wire in the connectors. What are you using to align the dish? If you have a smartphone, the Satellite AR app is a good one to determine where the satellites are. How about the skew and elevation? Have you checked them to be sure they are set correctly?

Yes, I am using a power inserter. I recently read the SWM LNBs typically use 21V PI but mine is a 29V. It worked fine last year so I don't see that as being an issue.

Connections have been checked more times than I can count. If you only have one receiver connected, I don't need a splitter, correct? I was running coaxial directly from PI to receiver.

I'm using a cheap satellite finder but from doing it last year, I've figured out how to use it pretty well.

Tilt, skew and elevation are set correctly.

The 29 volt power inserter works fine with a swm lnb, you are good there. I would check to be sure your mast is plumb. Don't rely on the bubble in the top, get a post level at Home Depot or Lowes if you can. No splitter is needed.

Last edited:
What is the zip code where you are, and what are the skew, elevation, and azimuth settings you are using?

Close enough. Dishpointer gives the azimuth as 211.4°, elevation as 41°, and the skew as 70.7°. I assume you are setting the elevation by using the back plate of the base as the marker, not the bolt.

Not sure if I know what you mean. I set the elevation with the bolt as close to 41-42 then use the fine tuner to increase signal strength. Am I doing something incorrectly?

I am getting similar results with the satellite finder as I did last year when it worked perfectly.

Maybe I can swap out tailgate LNB to try on my house dish to see if it's broken?

Sigh. So frustrating but I do appreciate your help!

Can you post a picture showing the elevation setting gauge?

Given that you used this setup last year (and it sounds like you did it a number of times) I am going to assume you have the experience to do it correctly and are not failing on that point. By replacing the LNB you have ruled that out as a problem. Given that the wind was strong enough to damage the LNB I am going to imagine that you had some damage done to the dish as well. I think you are going to have to bite the bullet and pony up for a new dish. That is about the only thing left.

And, as Chip says, the spec PI for the SWM LNB is 21 volts, but a lot of folks run it on the 29 volt PI with no issues.

Replaced reflector and it works perfectly. Still crazy to me considering there wasn't any noticable damage to the dish.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

Excellent! Your signal levels on 99c, 103ca and 103cb are mostly in the 90s now I hope.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)