DirecTV Tivo box and installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HelpMePlease

Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Hey all! I stumbled across this website when I was searching for pages on installation. Recently I purchased a direct TV box with Tivo. I had directv before so i had just hooked it up to the old dish that was out there and activated it and what not- it worked great. the only problem was that we couldn't use the two tuner to record 2 different shows (apparently that is a feature of this box) so I explained this to the chick on the phone that activated my card and she said that they would send an installer to come out and I said good because I wanted to put the new dish up there (we got one free with the box) and she said that is fine, that they would send someone out today between 1-5. Great! I had a dr.s appt at 9:15, but I knew we would be back by 1. Well this morning the installer calls at 8:15 and asks if he can come early. I was thinking like noon or so, but he said he would be there in an hour. I called a friend who came over and sat until he got there. When he got there he said that he only had a work order to put the new dish up and not to run another line to the box (I guess) so, whatever, that is what he did. Problem being that instead of just taking the old dish down and putting the new one where it was (on the edge of the roof, over the gutter) (we got perfect reception) he took the old dish down and mounted the new one in the middle of the roof (now I am no roofer, so please correct me if I am wrong) but our house is 50 years old and I am sure the last thing we need is holes in the roof- anyways, and then he told my friend to let us know that we won't get all the channels because the trees are in the way- is there something wrong with mounting a new dish where an old dish was? My husband is on the phone with directv now, but I was just wondering if anyone had this problem before and more importantly is it going to damage my roof. PLEASE HELP ME!

First of all welcome to SatelliteGuys and in your case Gals too! There are many users on this board who have dishes mounted on their roofs. It is not always the most practical way to install a dish but it works. If the holes that were put in the roof to mount the dish were properly sealed then you should not have any problems. However, it sounds like this installer was in a hurry from the get go. I would check and see if he used any kind of sealant around the holes.

I think what the installer was referring to about you may not being able to receive all the channels is the fact that your new dish can actually see 3 satellite slots. He may not have checked the signal levels coming from the 110 and 119 degree locations. You also may have trees or other obstructions blocking the signal from the 110 and 119 location. Directv's primary slot is 101 and he probably just made sure that would work. I would definitley call Directv and tell them you are not satisfied with the job done and have them send someone else out....Once again welcome to the boards!

Damage is already done to your roof you now have holes where you had a solid roof. No mater how well they sealed the holes there will always be a potential for a leak. If you need a new roof put on in the future your dish will have to be removed so the new roof can be put on.

They moved it

Ok, well I just called home and my husband said that they came and moved the dish back to the original spot (by the gutter) and the reception is fine again. He said they left the screws in the roof but I am not too sure if he knows what he is talking about. I am at work now and when I get home I am going to check out what they did. He also said that he tried to call directv to complain and two different people transferred him and he got frustrated and hung up, so that is another thing i will be doing when i get home (MEN!!----j/k, wrong site to post that on!) Thanks for the quick replies, I will update you after I talk to directv.
-Heather

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts