Status
Please reply by conversation.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
Just in case anyone has been living under a rock the past year or is in denial. :p

DIRECTV: TiVo HD DVRs Can't Get New Channels

DIRECTV: TiVo HD DVRs Can't Get New Channels
The satcaster confirms that the current TiVo HR 10-250 will not be able to display new high-def channels.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (August 3, 2007) -- DIRECTV reiterated today that the DIRECTV-TiVo HD DVR.(HR 10-250) will not be able to display the satcaster's new High-Definition channels.

Starting next month, DIRECTV will begin adding dozens of new high-def channels such as CNN HD, TBS HD and The Weather Channel HD.

But DIRECTV is planning to use a transmission system (MPEG4) that's not compatible with the HR 10-250.

"New high-def will be available only on MPEG 4-compatible boxes (H20, HR20, HR21) and the Ka/ku band dishes," DIRECTV spokesman Robert Mercer told TVPredictions.com today.

TiVo HR 10-250 owners will still be able to view existing high-def channels such as HDNet and Discovery HD Theater. But DIRECTV says that eventually all high-def channels will be delivered via MPEG4.

The satcaster announced this week that in early 2008 it will deliver a software download to all DIRECTV/TiVo DVRs (including the HD DVR) that will add features such as a list of recently deleted shows and "DIRECTV Remote Booking" so users can set recordings away from home.

However, the features will not work for the new high-def channels on the DIRECTV-TiVo HR 10-250.

Mercer said DIRECTV is offering an upgrade program for HR 10-250 owners to switch to the DIRECTV-only HD DVR, the HR20. For $99, the HR 10-250 owner can get a new HR20, including installation. and relocation of the HR 10-250 to a different room if requested.

"HR10-250 customers can still use the receiver in an additional room to receive standard DIRECTV programming," Mercer added.

This remote booking thing might be interesting !!!

I wonder if they will allow me to upgrade from my H-10 to the new HR20-700 -100 for $ 99 ? It would be my third, probably want me to pay $200 like usual.

Jimbo

I wonder if they will allow me to upgrade from my H-10 to the new HR20-700 -100 for $ 99 ? It would be my third, probably want me to pay $200 like usual.

Jimbo

I saw that too in the article. They better inform CSR's of this deal.

Jimbo

that's a good question. i was able to get a free h2o for my h10 and keep my h10. think i may need to fire off an email to bob mercer monday! :)

I think the standard deal is $199, I have the feeling Swanni might have missed the 1. I had to make three calls and jack around for 20 minutes to get my upgrade free, probably would have gone for the $99 instantly, but I still think that it's $199.

if its in testing, sooner or later it would be released.....yes? provided there are no major problems, of course.

if its in testing, sooner or later it would be released.....yes? provided there are no major problems, of course.

Yep. Oh the H21 definitely exists. Its not like the mysterious direct capture cards for Vista machines we've heard about for past 2 years at CES.

Yep. Oh the H21 definitely exists. Its not like the mysterious direct capture cards for Vista machines we've heard about for past 2 years at CES.

I may be out of luck, The H21 doesn't have a ota tuner, thats a problem with me, I need that, thats how I get my locals in HD. OTA !

Seeing D* doesn't have them yet and I don't see any reason to pay any EXTRA money when I can get them free with other D* rec's .

Jimbo

UPDATE: bob mercer told me (via email) that the 99 dollar fee for upgrading an h210 to an hr20 is correct. he also said it would be full price ($299) to upgrade an h10 to an hr20.

I called last week and ordered the upgrade and they told me 99$ plus 19$ install and taxes. and today was the second day they didn't show up to do it.

Now call Directv and for your aggravation, get the thing for free. Of course, that all depends if someone shows up. :D

After multiple unsuccessful attempts of calling customer service trying to get any sort of deal with DirecTV, I called up to cancel. The DirecTV CSR thanked me for my business and said that if I want to restart my service to give them a call back.

When I have called them in the past and mentioned that I had an HD Directivo (as well as a SD Directivo), the best offer I could get was $299 for a HD-DVR lease and a two year contract commitment. Maybe because I didn't have a Premier programming package or NFL ST DirecTV could care less about me leaving - I don't know. As it stands, for now I have Astound Cable, am paying less a month and I will be able to watch the SJ Sharks this fall in HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts