Directv Tivo Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

definitelyian

Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've been looking at the new Directv Tivo on Solid Signal's website and I had a couple of questions about ordering & provisioning. I'm looking to replace my HR24 with the Tivo. If I order from Solid Signal, do I then call in to Directv to swap out the receivers? Am I supposed to send back my HR24 to D*? Will they give me any grief for not being in one of the initial launch markets?

Do you have MRV activated, or do you plan on using just one receiver? I was pointing this out, because the THR22 does not have the MRV capability.

Answer to third question from DirecTV email support (note the typo, kind of nice to know it's an actual person who replied. Either that or their QA on canned messages is terrible):

You can leased a THR22 from a third party retailer. Please visit one of our authorized DIRECTV Retailers. To find an authorized DIRECTV System Dealer near you, visit our web site at directv.com/retailers and enter your ZIP code.

Edit - meant to mention that I'd still recommend waiting to get one from DirecTV themselves, since if you are a long time customer they are likely to cut you a deal on the price.

I guess if you only have one receiver,that being the HR24,It'll be no big deal to switch to the THR22. However,if you do have more than one with whole home MRV,trading the HR24 for the THR22 would definitely be a step backwards. The THR22 has no whole home MRV capability & unlike the TiVo Premiere(which I also have,but connected to cable not DTV),it does not have HD GUI support.

Note to all of your other TiVo fanboys and general technology infidels ( :p ) - if you call DirecTV, they will automatically knock the price down to 149.00. If you ask reeeeallly nicely, they will give you a 100.00 credit, thus taking it down to 49.00. Added is shipping/handling/tax, which for me was 12 dollars. They provide a prepaid shipping label, and you just need to put your current HD DVR in the same box and send it on back. As noted above, it does in fact reset your 24 month commitment. Also note that this was simply for a swap, not for an additional HD receiver. I presume they wouldn't be as generous otherwise.

If you order through Solid Signal, all you need to do is disconnect one receiver and connect another. You can call DIRECTV to activate/deactivate, and we can help you with any tech issues you have.

Well. That didn't go smoothly. FedEx truck arrived at my house today with a nice new box containing..................... The same HD DVR that I already have. Now, I have to wait "7-10 days" for a "recovery box" before they can redo my order :(

First of all, I will say that I love DirecTV, and everyone I have talked to has been top notch in terms of being friendly, helpful, and professional... That being said, ordering this HD TiVo has been damn near impossible.. As I said above, they shipped me a Direct TV HD DVR (the one I want to replace with tivo and already have), that I had to wait for a recovery box to send back. In the meantime, I re-did my order, and by (uncharacteristically smartly) going online to view my account shortly after, saw that they had scheduled to ship me yet ANOTHER DirectTV HD DVR --- these things are starting to pile up!.. Took a screen shot of my account activity and emailed it to them, and they very promptly called me to tell me that it's a good thing I emailed, because they were going to send me another of the same HD DVR that I already have. After talking to the person who called, I felt relatively assured that my order was going to go through as I hoped.. THEN, a few minutes ago, I received an email from them confirming my order of a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR.. .NO NO NO! This is not what I want! I know that their relationship with TiVo is very tenuous, and that most of the people posting here also are pretty much anti-tivo.. But damn... Even if I want this unpopular item, why is this so difficult to get ordered? I have spoken to them about a dozen times via phone and nearly as many times via email.. If they should happen to get this right, should I ask for some kind of compensation for the hassle? What do all of you knowledgeable experts think?

Update - in case anyone cares - I do in fact have another HD DVR on it's way. These things are starting to stack up. Apparently I will have an HD DVR and an HD Tivo coming to me on approximately Tuesday. SO, when the dust settles, I will have THREE HD DVR's to send back - the one I've been using, the first mistake one, and the second mistake one that hasn't yet arrived. To their credit, everyone I've dealt with - and there have been a lot of them at this point - have been great. Something in their ordering system is screwed up, but the people working to fix this have done very well handling it.

I am going to lose my mind. TWO more Direct HD DVR's arrived today. No Tivo. So.... I have 1 HD Television. 1 HD DVR that is in use. 3 HD DVRs that are still in their boxes. One empty box with a return shipping label to return my DVR that is in use. I never play "angry customer", but I am at a loss here on what to do next.

maybe thats your clue to not get the Tivo ;)

anywho....it is a specific model DIRECTV TiVO THR22 Maybe if you said the THR22

I know folks who wanted the HR34 (the 5 tuner) and their order said "HD DVR" which is just the 2 tuner one
In that case it had to say HMC

If you order through Solid Signal, all you need to do is disconnect one receiver and connect another. You can call DIRECTV to activate/deactivate, and we can help you with any tech issues you have.
Disconnecting the old and connecting the new is NOT all you need to do. You MUST also call DIRECTV to deactivate the old and activate the new.

DVR Order.jpg

You may be right. Maybe time to ditch DirecTV also.

Note in image - all the items with the same charge all say the same when I open them up.

Not sure if my image shows or not from previous post... Anyhow, if you can't see it, it's a screenshot of the "recent activity" from my account. sigh.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts