Directv Tivo Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can read and clearly understand the difference between can and must. Activating the new receiver is NOT optional and must be done in addition to physically swapping out the DVRs.

Because as we all know people buy DVR's for s**ts and giggles and dont activate them :rolleyes:
Thats why I dropped a bunch of money on the HR34...so I can put it in the entertainment center and not use it :rolleyes:

Hmmm...then they should be shipping you out the Tivo version then

One would think! :) Judging by the large stack of HD DVR's I have sitting next to me, I'd say there's a problem in their ordering system. I've worked in Internet/Telecom for 16 years, and I've seen system errors just like this come across my desk many a time (unfortunately). But, nobody I've spoken to (as nice as they've been) has been willing to listen to me trying to help them identify the problem. Heh.. I guess I understand "crackpot" customers trying to tell you things... But there is an obvious problem that isn't because the agents are making some kind of human error. I came across the email address for the SR VP of Customer Relations, and send her a note. I'll let you all know what kind of response I receive.

Latest: When you contact the customer advocacy Sr VP, they act pretty fast. Received a call this evening, and the result is that I will in fact be receiving a 4th D-TV HD DVR, since the order was already placed earlier today. Thankfully, someone is going forgo the ordering system, physically go and grab one of these things, and ship it to me themselves. I'm really expecting a resolution this time. Although, I am tempted to keep all these HD DVRs and Recovery boxes and build a cool fort.

AClown said:
Latest: When you contact the customer advocacy Sr VP, they act pretty fast. Received a call this evening, and the result is that I will in fact be receiving a 4th D-TV HD DVR, since the order was already placed earlier today. Thankfully, someone is going forgo the ordering system, physically go and grab one of these things, and ship it to me themselves. I'm really expecting a resolution this time. Although, I am tempted to keep all these HD DVRs and Recovery boxes and build a cool fort.

Please build us a fort! Be sure to take a pic so we can all enjoy it :D

Last edited:
definitelyian said:
I've been looking at the new Directv Tivo on Solid Signal's website and I had a couple of questions about ordering & provisioning. I'm looking to replace my HR24 with the Tivo. If I order from Solid Signal, do I then call in to Directv to swap out the receivers? Am I supposed to send back my HR24 to D*? Will they give me any grief for not being in one of the initial launch markets?

An HR 24 was hit by lighting I want to get a new one from solid Signal what should I do with the old receiver?

I got my Tivo... It took someone to ignore the ordering system and physically pick up the box and ship it to me. I like it. We Tivo guys die hard. Now, I just have to figure out the method for sending back the four DirecTV HD DVR's that I have stacked up. The representatives have all been very friendly, they even added 6 months of all the Showtime channels to my account for free. Question for you seasoned veterans... I don't really care about Showtime (I'm more of a sports guy, have the NHL and MLB packages).. Would it be out of line/greedy to ask for something I would really watch (SPORTS PACK) instead? Or should I just be happy that I finally got what I wanted?

A clown, they should be able to give you sports pack for a few months free, maybe 1-3 months, depending on which department you speak to, being in tech support, I never have the option to put a premium for more than 3 months.

LOL.. I should have chosen my user name more wisely.. AC Lown was what I was going for.. But I don't mind being a clown :p

Thanks for the advice. I've been dealing with the team that I believe is called "Advocacy", and they asked me to call them to confirm that I received my Tivo, which I will be doing tomorrow. Perhaps I'll ask about the sports. Guess it never hurts to ask.

Oh sorry. I didn't mean to space it. Hmm it must be a high up department. But because it sounds like they messed up your order, they should be able to swing that.

Thanks OSD.. I will ask and see what happens. I really love my DirecTV service, so I really can't complain other than this tivo mishap. But, like I said.. I guess asking never hurts, so I will see what they say, if I can get over my feelings of being greedy. Having worked in customer support for many many years in telecom, I've become sensitive to "the angry customer" and therefore never play that role. Can't emphasize enough how good the entire staff has been, while I believe the ordering system is what has failed.

Side note: I guess these tivo's must REALLY not be popular (as pretty much everyone except me on here has mentioned :p ), because I haven't heard anything from any of the several reps in various departments I've talked to about anyone else having the same problem. Kind of sad that there can't be a better agreement with tivo. I know they are extremely possessive of their "proprietary" software and such, but it seems to me that if all parties could get on the same page, they could together build the best DVR ever. Just my opinion, of course. Both the HD Tivo and the DirecTV HD DVR beat the hell out of what Dish and Charter cable offer.

Kind of sad that there can't be a better agreement with tivo. I know they are extremely possessive of their "proprietary" software and such, but it seems to me that if all parties could get on the same page, they could together build the best DVR ever. Just my opinion, of course. Both the HD Tivo and the DirecTV HD DVR beat the hell out of what Dish and Charter cable offer.

Well, it was News Corp's doing... When they came in, they wanted to switch over to their own system already in use with BskyB and others... And who could blame them? If I owned a successful DVR platform and suddenly found myself owning a satellite company that PAID for a competing one, I'd be looking to switch it out ASAP as well.

That said, News Corp is out (other than providing encryption via NDS which they have done since day 1) and Liberty Media--an early and large investor in TiVo IIRC--is the majority owner of DirecTV. But rather than work with TiVo to come up the next REALLY COOL DirecTV DVR--E.g. Bring the Virgin Media box over here--and bring the DVR they have an interest in back to DirecTV as fast as possible like News did, they continue to go along with News Corp, and have released a very meh TiVo to shut everyone up.

So either Liberty just doesn't give a crap about TiVo anymore, News is giving them a cheap sweetheart grandfathered deal they can't refuse, or their locked into something long term, and the current TiVo is just a taste until their current agreement is up with News Corp... I dunno.

Nat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts