DirecTV TiVo "standby" mode

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markfp-1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I've only had TiVo for a few weeks and wonder how I managed to get along without it for so long. We're going on a two week vacation, should we put it in "standby" or does it matter? Also if I'm understanding the manual correctly, it will still record what's on the "to do" list. Correct? Anyone have any problems with missed recordings while in standby? We'll have more than enough space for what we'll need to record.

I think you want the standby mode when you are gone. It still records as usual. If it's in the "watch TV" mode it thinks you are watching the channel its set on and may not switch to the channel to be recorded. But be sure you specify 1st run or it will record every program by that same name it can find including repeats & reruns thus filling the hard disk. I watch the Daily Show and it runs so many times I have to go in to the "to do" list and delete the reruns of the Daily Show because if it is the same day as the 1st run it reads it as a 1st run. There are many little quirks to programming and living with Tivo.

Tvlman said:
If it's in the "watch TV" mode it thinks you are watching the channel its set on and may not switch to the channel to be recorded.

This info is inaccurate. The only thing standby mode does is turn off the video outputs and the lights on the front. It does not matter which mode you are in the Tivo will record properly.

On mine,a Hughes DVR40 The standby mode also stops the continuous 30 min cache on the disc for the "pause live TV" function. So the continuous disc operations may be less,which may give you longer disc life. As far as a timed recording while watching live TV,about 2 minutes before recording time,it notifies me with a prompt from the tuner I am not watching that it is about to change channels and start recording. Gives me the choice to record as planned or cancel .If I ignore and do not answer the prompt, it will change channel and record as planned. Same happens if the other tuner is already recording and the DVR needs to start a second recording on the tuner I currently am watching live.

A UPS is recommended

Another recommendation is to have a UPS in case the power goes out. I got one after missing key portions of programs (TIVO will resume recording when the power returns but obviously you will miss the portion of the program during the outage and the time it takes for TIVO to reboot).

Just thought of another issue while away on vacation: For anyone that happens to have a DAILY re-occuring recording either using season pass or manual season pass: the default on these is keep at most 5 episodes. You may need to change that to keep all,otherwise,when the 6th one hits the recorder will start deleting episodes you probably did not watch yet.

Do you recommend keeping the unit on 24/7? I have always turned in on stand by when going to bed and leaving the house, etc. If it is not going to damage the unit, I would rather leave it on 24/7, what do you guys think?

silversurfer01973 said:
There is no benefit to placing it in standby. I run mine 24/7...

As an ex-Voomer standby mode supposedly would help in receiving software updates more quickly from the satellite, which in the early days were coming fairly frequently. Don't know if this is true for all DBS services.

warkovision said:
As an ex-Voomer standby mode supposedly would help in receiving software updates more quickly from the satellite, which in the early days were coming fairly frequently. Don't know if this is true for all DBS services.

software updates for D* Tivos is done via phone... and as for other updates it is done at nigh with an unused tuner. (tuner not currently in use)

Thanks guys. I took the advice of the vast majority and left in on while we were gone and it didn't miss a show.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)