DirecTV to add 44 HD local markets (Updated with Launch Schedule)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jul 28, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, continues to strengthen its HD presence with the addition of 44 new HD local channel markets. By the end of 2008, DIRECTV will provide local HD broadcast channels in 121 cities, representing more than 88 percent of U.S. TV households. DIRECTV will begin the rollout of the new HD local markets in August and continue through the end of the year. The new markets include:

• Augusta, Ga.
• Bangor, Maine
• Baton Rouge, La.
• Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas
• Boise, Idaho
• Burlington Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.
• Butte-Bozeman, Mont.
• Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.
• Charleston, S.C.
• Chattanooga, Tenn.
• Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.
• Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.
• Davenport, Iowa-Rock Island, Ill.
• Dayton, Ohio
• Des Moines-Ames, Iowa
• Dothan, Ala.
• El Paso, Texas
• Evansville, Ind.
• Fort Smith, Ark.
• Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Greenville-New Bern-Washington, N.C.
• Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas
• Harrisonburg, Va.
• La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wis.
• Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.
• Lincoln-Hastings, Neb.
• Macon, Ga.
• Mobile AL-Pensacola, Fla.
• Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.
• Norfolk-Newport News, Va.
• Palm Springs, Calif.
• Peoria-Bloomington, Ill.
• Richmond-Petersburg, Va.
• Rockford, Ill.
• Rochester, N.Y.
• Savannah, Ga.
• Sioux Falls, S.D.
• South Bend-Elkhart, Ind.
• Springfield-Holyoke, Mass.
• Syracuse, N.Y.
• Tallahassee, Fla.
• Toledo, Ohio
• Traverse City-Cadillac, Mich.
• Youngstown, Ohio

"With the rollout of 44 new HD local markets, DIRECTV continues to strengthen its position as the leading provider of quality HD programming among cable and satellite competitors nationwide," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "Our DIRECTV 11 satellite has recently begun operations and significantly expands our capacity for more national and local HD channels. And as we have with the SuperFan(R) service for MLB EXTRA INNINGS(R) and NFL SUNDAY TICKET(TM) and our multi-screen coverage of US Open golf, we will continue to use HD to enhance our unique interactive services to provide our customers with more of what they want and expect from us - the best television experience available."

DIRECTV will deliver HD programming from the primary broadcast networks - ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC - where available and authorized, to customers who subscribe to any TOTAL CHOICE(R) programming package that offers local channels. DIRECTV HD customers will continue to pay only a $9.99 access fee, allowing them to receive DIRECTV's premier HD technology and all channels broadcast in HD that are tied to their particular base programming package.

Customers should visit directv.com to learn more about the full complement of DIRECTV's HD programming lineup including existing channels, new channels, details on equipment required for the new DIRECTV HD services and updates on when the new markets will launch.

With the DIRECTV 11 satellite just introduced to the fleet and the launch of the DIRECTV 12 satellite next year, DIRECTV will have the capacity to deliver 200 national HD channels and 1,500 local HD and digital channels in addition to new advanced programming services for customers nationwide.

--------------

UPDATE 7/30:

Here is a plan of lauches by month for the 44 new markets:

DIRECTV - Upcoming HD Local Market Launches

August: Augusta, GA.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; Lincoln-Hastings, Neb.; Rochester, N.Y.

September: Baton Rouge, La.; Burlington Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.; Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.; Mobile AL-Pensacola, Fla.; Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.; Richmond-Petersburg, Va. ; South Bend-Elkhart, Ind.; Syracuse, N.Y.; Youngstown, Ohio
Add: Toledo OH

October: Boise, Idaho; Charleston, S.C.; Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.; Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.; Davenport, Iowa-Rock Island, Ill., Moline, Ill.; Dayton, Ohio; Evansville, Ind.; Fort Smith, Ark.; Greenville-New Bern-Washington, N.C.; Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas; Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.; Macon, Ga.; Norfolk-Newport News, Va.; Savannah, Ga.; Springfield-Holyoke, Mass.

November: Des Moines-Ames, Iowa; El Paso, Texas; Fort Wayne, Ind.; La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wis.; Peoria-Bloomington, Ill.; Rockford, Ill.; Sioux Falls, S.D.; Traverse City-Cadillac

December: Bangor, Maine; Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas; Butte-Bozeman, Mont.; Harrisonburg, Va.; Tallahassee, Fla.
Add:
Palm Springs, CA and Dothan, AL will launch in December.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow wonder if they will get Greenville, NC locals same time as Dish does.....and again no JACKSONVILLE, FL LOCALS!!!

I just figured I say it before the other guy did!! LOL

Wow wonder if they will get Greenville, NC locals same time as Dish does.....and again no JACKSONVILLE, FL LOCALS!!!

I just figured I say it before the other guy did!! LOL

DirecTV has offered Jacksonville, FL HD locals since 3/28/2007.

Wow La Crosse-Eau Claire...That may be worth switching from Dish to Direct. Will see when it gets added and what E*'s plans are...I really do like the DVR's from E*

In past announcements such as these, have there been subsequent announcements detailing which one are going to be offered on a specific date? Or, since I watch TV every day, just one day by the end of the year, I'll notice that they're in HD?

Still no Charleston/Huntington WV. That is pitifull that the #64 DMA is not going to be up there.

I'm more than a little disappointed to see Monterey, CA omitted from this latest list. I was hoping to dump the annoying OTA antenna this summer.

YOUNGSTOWN, OH!!!!!!!! YOUNGSTOWN, OH???????? I always thought we were the toiletbowl of Ohio and would never see local hd on direct, I am quite impressed....

For those with HD-LIL and OTA integration already, how will the HD locals be shown in the guide? As it is, the SD locals are simply the channel number and the OTA HD channels are 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, 7-1, 7-2, 7-3, 24-1. Will the HD-LIL channels take the same name/number as the SD locals, or is there some appending of the name/number like the OTA feeds?

For those with HD-LIL and OTA integration already, how will the HD locals be shown in the guide? As it is, the SD locals are simply the channel number and the OTA HD channels are 2-1, 2-2, 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, 7-1, 7-2, 7-3, 24-1. Will the HD-LIL channels take the same name/number as the SD locals, or is there some appending of the name/number like the OTA feeds?

HD just will look like the SD local, just one number, like 2.

HD will default over SD. Any timers will need to be re-setup using the new channel number (even though it is the same channel number), becase you can still access the SD locals too. You can also set the system to show both SD & HD channels in the setup menu, then you would have two of each station.

Status
Please reply by conversation.