DirecTV to add 44 HD local markets (Updated with Launch Schedule)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry didn't realize they hadn't launched, no word on those yet.

Not sure if they will launch or be delayed, but I'll ask.

That's very wierd. The city I'm looking at is in the Nashville DMA, but Directv's website says local HD is NOT available there:

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Nashville TN - No HD Locals 38501 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below.

HD Local Channels: High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are not available in your area at this time.
Available ChannelsNetwork Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel #
(older receivers)
ABC WKRN 2 961
NBC WSMV 4 962
CBS WTVF 5 963
PBS WNPT 8 964
FOX WZTV 17 965
PBS WCTE 22 969
MNT WUXP 30 966
CW WNAB 58 968

Are they restricting the HD locals to just part of the DMA?

*Added - That is what they are doing. Zip codes closer to Nashville get it, where I'm looking, it is Nashville locals, but they won't give HD feeds there!

It's quite possible that it's a zip code error.
I would call the local networks and talk to the Chief Engineer and ask him if they are suppose to be on D* in HD yet, it's possible that they missed some zip codes when setting it up, this happened to me with the RSN in the area.
If so, they can call D* and straighten it out.

Jimbo

Well...... ya there are plenty.
They have about 70 markets up out of 210.

Jimbo

Actually with today's additions they are now at 91 markets.

The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV Delivers Local HD Programming to Customers in the Toledo, Ohio DMA

DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is now offering local HD programming to customers in the Toledo, Ohio designated market area. The following broadcast networks are available in HD: WTVG/ABC, WTOL/CBS, WUPW/FOX and WNWO/NBC. With the addition of Toledo, DIRECTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 91 cities, representing 81 percent of U.S. TV households.

Here's a nice chart that shows when DMA's were activated and what channels/RSN's are carried, DIRECTV HD Locals by Launch Date

Interesting thought ....
Back when all the locals thing got started, they started with what was it Detroit or maybe they were #2 I don't remember.... anyways, Toledo was like 67 in the rating s they were using, then got pushed back to 72 then 74 and now they end up at 91, how's that work ?

Jimbo

Actually Norfolk Virginia DMA at 43 is by far the largest that has not yet been added. Supposedly coming finally in October.

Actually Norfolk Virginia DMA at 43 is by far the largest that has not yet been added. Supposedly coming finally in October.

WELCOME to the site :)

I did not know that there was any cities that low in the rankings that were not being serviced at this point.

Jimbo

Jimbo, I think you might've got confused by the list RAD gave. That list has the markets listed in the order in which they were added. So Toledo was the 91st added but not 91st in market size.

This link shows the available markets in the order of market size.

DIRECTV HD Locals by DMA Ranking

This link shows all markets in the order of market size with an indication of whether they are available or not.

DIRECTV Local Channels by DMA Ranking

Newshawk who is an occasional poster here has put these lists together.

It's quite possible that it's a zip code error.
I would call the local networks and talk to the Chief Engineer and ask him if they are suppose to be on D* in HD yet, it's possible that they missed some zip codes when setting it up, this happened to me with the RSN in the area.
If so, they can call D* and straighten it out.

Jimbo

Looks to be a problem with D* website. Spoke to a D* & E* dealer in Cookeville & he told me that they have been selling both systems with HD locals there. Rad, does your BIL have D*? Can he get them?

So then Champaign-Springfield-Decatur IL and Myrtle Beach-Florence SC listed at DIRECTV - Upcoming HD Local Market Launches for September won't happen this month?

Well, the answer was that D* hasn't broken their promise on the locals announced last month yet.

That speaks to strong odds on these two markets next week, as well as the Vermont locals, which is practically certain.

^Waiting patiently (Myrtle Beach).

Question: When you call and speak to a CSR, do they actually know when a certain market will be added or when they say "I don't know" is that just a deflection? I mention this because I called tonight and asked (other issues, too) and got the "I don't know".

Anyone know how the Mobile area channels look?

The channels all look good, can't tell any diff between OTA and Sat HD . Tonight will be a better test with alot more HD content. :D

I'm comparing Mobile OTA to Directv (CBS football Fl vs Tenn) and cannot see any difference. Neither is perfect but the satellite at least matches OTA.

I'm so happy that I will now get Fox 10 NFL football in HD. I'm no longer limited to the NY stations I have been getting. I wonder though when they'll pull the plug on my NY feeds?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)