Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
On July 10th and 11th DIRECTV in conjunction with YES Network and FSN Northwest will present the first ever Major League Baseball Games in 3D!

Here is the press release...

The YES Network, FSN Northwest and DIRECTV will present the first-ever Major League Baseball telecasts in 3D on Saturday, July 10 and Sunday, July 11 when the New York Yankees take on the Seattle Mariners. DIRECTV and Panasonic will be presenting sponsors of the two 3D telecasts.

The historic 3D broadcasts from Safeco Field in Seattle will be made available to DIRECTV HD customers who have 3D TV sets and live within the YES "home team footprint," which includes all of New York State and Connecticut, north and central New Jersey, and northeast Pennsylvania.

The 3D telecasts will also air live within the FSN Northwest footprint, including the entire states of Washington, Oregon, Alaska and parts of Montana and Idaho. The Saturday, July 10 game telecast will begin at 10:00 p.m. ET, and the Sunday, July 11 game telecast will begin at 4:00 p.m. ET. YES and FSN Northwest will both also produce their traditional HD telecasts of both games.
"Our latest collaboration with DIRECTV reflects our commitment to explore new technologies which further immerse viewers in our telecasts," said Ray Hopkins, COO, YES Network. "These revolutionary telecasts speak to the power of the Yankees brand and strengthen YES' leadership position in terms of bringing new viewer enhancements to market."

"We're proud to team up with YES to produce a unique, depth-defying look at the sport of baseball in 3D that will put the viewer right in the middle of the action," said Eric Shanks, executive vice president of Entertainment for DIRECTV. "Like interactive TV and HD, 3D has the potential to completely transform the way we watch sports."
Beginning this June, DIRECTV HD customers will receive a free software upgrade enabling them to have access to dedicated 3D channels on DIRECTV, which will include N3D™ powered by Panasonic, ESPN 3D, a 3D DIRECTV Cinema channel and a 3D DIRECTV on Demand channel. DIRECTV HD customers will need a 3D television set and 3D glasses to view 3D programming on DIRECTV.

Hm, it says nothing about MLB Extra Innings customers who should get that game nation-wide. Hopefully it is just an oversight.

Not that I have 3D, I don't, but someone out there would watch it.

With HD and 3d TV why is anyone going to want to go to a game in person? You have to wonder if this someday might have an effect on attendance. And yes, Attendance is down this year.

Please go away 3D.

Don't worry, it won't be around too long .... imo.

fwiw, I saw parts of a movie the other day on a 3 D set, it was cool when the effects were present, that said, I would not go out and invest in it .....

btw, there are a total of 3 movies available in 3D presently, thats it.

I hate this damn fad... It was there in the early 80's, there in the mid 90's, and from I hear from my mom and dad, there from the 50's as well!

And I personally don't give a crap if it's 'better'. It STILL requires glasses, STILL is stereoscopic, and still is not holographic.

I'd buy this as quickly as I'd buy a Nintendo Virtual Boy versus a 3d console... or pc...

I had Mitsubishi 3Dready TV for about 2 years now! ;)

I believe the one I saw was a Samsung, but not sure of the model.

This changes the way people are told to view TV.
For years you were told to be back away from the TV, now with 3D your told to move closer for greater effect.

Calm down boys...hey, if I had unlimited resources, which I don't, was a huge MLB fan, which I am, was into all of this High Teck stuff for video etc, which I am...then yes, I would get one for the fun of it, I bet the Masters was kind of cool, and I bet the MLB would be damn interesting. I am not dismissing it at all even though the sets are expensive, there is verty littleto see etc....hey, doesn't that sound a bit like that new fangled thing from not that many yeas ago, what was it called? Something like HIGH DEFINITION!

Calm down boys...hey, if I had unlimited resources, which I don't, was a huge MLB fan, which I am, was into all of this High Teck stuff for video etc, which I am...then yes, I would get one for the fun of it, I bet the Masters was kind of cool, and I bet the MLB would be damn interesting. I am not dismissing it at all even though the sets are expensive, there is verty littleto see etc....hey, doesn't that sound a bit like that new fangled thing from not that many yeas ago, what was it called? Something like HIGH DEFINITION!

IF MONEY was not an object, yes I would do it and in need of a set.

fwiw, I think the 3D sets are NOT that much more, maybe $ 300 difference ?
Not sure, I dont remember what my buddy told be about the Samsung I was watching.

Keep in mind that each set of glasses are about another $150 ... at least the ones I was using.

IF MONEY was not an object, yes I would do it and in need of a set.

fwiw, I think the 3D sets are NOT that much more, maybe $ 300 difference ?
Not sure, I dont remember what my buddy told be about the Samsung I was watching.

Keep in mind that each set of glasses are about another $150 ... at least the ones I was using.

Gee, is that all? It seems quite reasonable.....:rolleyes:

Gee, is that all? It seems quite reasonable.....:rolleyes:

I think the best way for 3D to take off is for them to be able to do it without glasses.

The glasses I used were kinda like sunglasses and you actually had to turn them on and then they would sync up with the TV signal.

It was quite cool actually.

The TV also has the ability to try and change a regular 2D show into 3D.

It was not as effective as watching the movie or a show that is made to be 3D, but it did a decent job.

Last edited:
I don't see 3D lasting too long, either, at least not for sporting events. It's great to be able to stay home and watch on the big screen, but nothing can replace actually being there, wherever that is.

Who cares?

I saw a Samsung 3D down at Fry's a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed that much. First, if you're going to have a TV party (Super Bowl or whatever), you're going to need a lot of $100 a pair glasses as they only give you 2 with the set.

Then, I though the 3D effect got in the way of the show. "Hey, look a that arrow zing by me!" rather than the story itself. Maybe after using one of these 3D sets for a while, the 3d effect will just become part of the show (seamless).

At this moment, the only way I would ever consider getting one is if ALL TVs in the future automatically came with 3D built-in.

The one feature I did like on the demo was the ability to turn off 3D and go in 2D mode. To my eye, in 2D, the set was as good as any current HD LCD/LED set out there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts