Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
DIRECTV to Carry 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels In HD
The new channels will be added in September.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (June 12, 2007) -- DIRECTV plans to carry 11
HBO/Cinemax channels in High-Definition this September,
TVPredictions.com has learned.

The satcaster now offers just one HBO-branded channel in high-def --
HBO East. However, DIRECTV is scheduled to expand its HD lineup this
September after the launch of a new satellite in July.

With the additional capacity, DIRECTV in September will add dozens
of new high-def channels, including the following HBO/Cinemax
channels:

HBO West
HBO2 West
HBO2 East
HBO Family East
HBO Family West
HBO Latino
HBO Signature
Cinemax East
Cinemax West
MoreMax

Several of the HBO/Cinemax-branded channels are now not broadcasting
in high-def. But HBO announced today that it will make all 26 HBO
and Cinemax feeds available in High-Definition.

The network said it will begin rolling out the additional high-def
feeds later this year with all 26 completed by the end of the second
quarter of 2008.

DIRECTV spokesman Robert Mercer said today that the satcaster
plans "to duplicate all the (HBO/Cinemax) SD feeds we currently
carry in HD." But he would not comment further.

The 26 HBO channels that will be high-def by the second quarter of
2008 are:

HBO (East/West)
Cinemax (East/West)|
HBO2 (East/West)
MoreMAX (East/West)
HBO Signature (East/West)
ActionMAX (East/West)
HBO Comedy (East/West)
ThrillerMAX (East/West)
HBO Family (East/West)
WMAX (East)
HBO Zone (East/West)
@MAX (East)
HBO Latino (East/West)
5StarMAX (East)
OuterMAX. (East)

This is great. After seeing the Starz HD channels I was planning on tossing HBO instantly. Now this changes everything. Man is it heating up in the HD arena!!

Yeah - for all the naysayers - isn't it amazing how almost every week a new bunch of channels get announced for launch - and it seems mostly in the September timeframe - oh, -isn't that the same timeframe that DirecTV said it would launch most of the new channels?

Funny, the coincidence, huh?

Looks to me like it is all indeed starting to come together! Say what you want, but when DirecTV SAID they had agreements and discussions with over 70 major networks, I for one believed them and think they will come through.

This will be great if it happens but where is the information from D* or HBO on this. So far I have only seen the article from Philip Swan.

Yeah - for all the naysayers - isn't it amazing how almost every week a new bunch of channels get announced for launch - and it seems mostly in the September timeframe - oh, -isn't that the same timeframe that DirecTV said it would launch most of the new channels?

Funny, the coincidence, huh?

Looks to me like it is all indeed starting to come together! Say what you want, but when DirecTV SAID they had agreements and discussions with over 70 major networks, I for one believed them and think they will come through.

I know...I love it. I have said the same thing before. Funny how they are now quite or bring up the comment HD-Lite. Sounds like rats on a sinking ship. :p

DIRECTV to Offer 11 HBO/Cinemax Channels in HDHBO, HBO Signature, HBO Family, HBO Latino and Cinemax Channels
Among HD feeds to Launch Beginning in September of this Year
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 13, 2007--Continuing to pack its lineup with premium-quality HD channels for launch this fall, DIRECTV will begin to roll out the HD feeds of 11 HBO and Cinemax channels nationally in September.
In addition to the HBO (East) HD channel it currently offers, DIRECTV will launch the following HBO/Cinemax channels in full-time HD: HBO West, HBO2 West, HBO2 East, HBO Family East, HBO Family West, HBO Latino, HBO Signature, Cinemax East, Cinemax West and MoreMax. The channels will begin rolling out in September and continue to launch through the rest of the year. DIRECTV currently carries each of these channels in standard-definition.
"Through our determination to push for more and better HD programming, and HBO's commitment to provide 11 HD feeds, we're continuing to set the pace in the HD marketplace," said Derek Chang, executive vice president, Content Strategy and Development, DIRECTV, Inc. "The sheer volume and quality of the HD programming DIRECTV is launching this fall clearly sets us apart from cable and Echostar. The new HD channels from HBO, which continue to offer compelling and critically acclaimed programming, will be an exciting addition to our growing HD lineup."
The new HBO channels will be among the up to 100 national HD channels DIRECTV is planning to rollout by the end of 2007 following the launch of its D10 satellite in July. The new services will be available beginning in September and will continue to roll out through the end of the year.
An additional DIRECTV satellite will launch early next year to support further HD expansion. Between the two satellites, DIRECTV will have the capacity to deliver an industry leading 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.
Source: DIRECTV

MPEG4 HD which from most viewers looks as good as OTA and better than Directv's current MPEG2 offerings.
Where did you find this information? The articles make no mention of mpeg2 or mpeg4. Isn't all of D*'s CONUS HD broadcast in mpeg2?:confused:

Where did you find this information? The articles make no mention of mpeg2 or mpeg4. Isn't all of D*'s CONUS HD broadcast in mpeg2?:confused:

Yes but several of us on this forum have done some side by side comparisons including Scott. I've also followed threads at avsforum and DBSTalk. The comparisons are done on local HD channels served via MPEG4 via the Spaceways and OTA channels. Additional comparisons were done between the CONUS MPEG2 sporting events versus the MPEG4 versions served via the RSN's. When side by side, the MPEG4 ones look better than the MPEG2 counterparts and for the locals, the MPEG4 versions look comparable to the OTA counterparts.

Of course this is all subjective to the naked eye and individuals doing the comparison but I know Scott is pretty honest and tries to do a fair job. I also trust my eyes as well. So you can believe it or not. The good news is all HD from Directv will be in MPEG4 going forward. Thats why most of us are very optimistic. :)

The good news is all HD from Directv will be in MPEG4 going forward. Thats why most of us are very optimistic. :)
So you are saying that only those D* subs with mpeg4 capable receivers will be able to get the new HBO/Cinemax HD channels and all the other new HD channels. Are all D* HD receivers mpeg4 capable?

So you are saying that only those D* subs with mpeg4 capable receivers will be able to get the new HBO/Cinemax HD channels and all the other new HD channels. Are all D* HD receivers mpeg4 capable?

As defergie stated, only the HR20 and H20 are capable of MPEG4. They are also the only ones seeing 99 and 103 sats. So all new HD channels going forward will be MPEG4 and only using these receivers and a Slimline or AT9 5 LNB dish. So for folks that want to get all the new HD, you have to upgrade your dish and receivers.

As defergie stated, only the HR20 and H20 are capable of MPEG4. They are also the only ones seeing 99 and 103 sats. So all new HD channels going forward will be MPEG4 and only using these receivers and a Slimline or AT9 5 LNB dish. So for folks that want to get all the new HD, you have to upgrade your dish and receivers.
I don't remember anything in the D* commercials or their PR releases about the need for new equipment to receive those 100 HD channels. DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release
DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release
To receive DIRECTV's local HD programming, customers must have an H20 HD receiver or an HR20 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR and a Ka/Ku band dish. DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release
This is very interesting.

This is why I would not want to be one of the folks looking to upgrade in September. There's been plenty of us that have known for a while and the Directv model for the past 1+ years has been to use the HR20 or H20 along with a 5 LNB dish for any new or upgrading HD subscriber. There are still definately hundreds of thousands of older HD receivers out there some by choice like the HR10-250 (my wife is keeping the Tivo no matter what). Remember Dish Network has adopted the same policy. New HD channels are MPEG4 only. And with this weeks Charlie Chat, all Voom ones will be in August.

So if you are on the fence, get in now. The Fall is going to be chaos getting an install or hardware upgrade let alone schedule an appointment.

Also, the current MPEG2 CONUS HD channels might be mirrored for a time to allow users to get off existing hardware. But that will also have a shut off date. We just dont know the date yet if its around the new HD activation or after a grace period. My guess there will be a grace period to not tick off existing HD customers at the same time of all the new HD. It would double the chaos of folks looking to upgrade and going after new customers. Directv has said there will be plenty of units available but I think the bottle neck will be scheduling installs and/or fulfilling hardware orders.

I don't remember anything in the D* commercials or their PR releases about the need for new equipment to receive those 100 HD channels. DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release
DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release
To receive DIRECTV's local HD programming, customers must have an H20 HD receiver or an HR20 DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR and a Ka/Ku band dish. DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release
This is very interesting.

I have got to ask.....why so interesting to someone that has no intention of getting D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)