Directv to carry DOGTV ( Ch 354 )

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Dog TV will bring in revenue and The Blaze won't.

You think a "dog channel" would bring in more revenue than The Blaze? I would love to hear the rationale behind that...

I am assuming The Blaze would be an a la carte subscription based channel on D* as well. Even if they offered it for free at a certain package level I still believe it would bring in more revenue than this "dog channel".

I just don't understand how they justify adding this over The Blaze TV that has ton more interest and would certainly generate more revenue.

you can say that about any channel addition a provider makes. Some people will say "great" and some people will wonder why it was added (or complain about it)
I guess the 3 new HD channels in testing (QVC, Playboy and Galavision) you can say the same thing

You think a "dog channel" would bring in more revenue than The Blaze? I would love to hear the rationale behind that...

I am assuming The Blaze would be an a la carte subscription based channel on D* as well. Even if they offered it for free at a certain package level I still believe it would bring in more revenue than this "dog channel".

The dog channel costs $5 per month. The Blaze would be free.

ok, DIRECTV can be picky about channels at this point if they are from small programmers and not tied to the majors (AETN, Discovery Networks, FOX Cable Networks, NBCUniversal, Viacom, Time Warner). DIRECTV tells the small programmers that they can pay to have their channel carried on DIRECTV and that DIRECTV won't be paying a fee per sub per month to carry them. Dog TV agrees, while BlazeTV probably thinks there is such an interest in their channel that they should be paid to be carried, not have to pay to be carried. That's how DOG TV could end up on DIRECTV while BlazeTV doesn't and DOG TV pays some percentage of monthly subscription fee to DIRECTV so DIRECTV gets revenue while TheBlaze would cost DIRECTV to be carried (and thus no revenue if carried).

Now, if BlazeTV thinks they should be paid for carriage, they should align with the big boys so when it comes time for a big boy to renegotiate carriage with DIRECTV, they will be included in the carriage deal since the big boys are pretty much take all of our channels and partner channels or take none.

No rationale.

It's real.

People who love dogs cross all sectors of society in the U.S. and in many countries.

The Blaze is for Americans with right-wing political viewpoints who personally find Glenn Beck appealing and are interested in his cable network.

I have no problem with DirecTV carrying both programmers. My own interest is to see DirecTV add the high definition feeds of every programmer carried only in standard definition. (I'm referring to those in SD which have a linear HD. And DirecTV has a long way to go.)

No rationale.

It's real.

People who love dogs cross all sectors of society in the U.S. and in many countries.

The Blaze is for Americans with right-wing political viewpoints who personally find Glenn Beck appealing and are interested in his cable network.

I have no problem with DirecTV carrying both programmers. My own interest is to see DirecTV add the high definition feeds of every programmer carried only in standard definition. (I'm referring to those in SD which have a linear HD. And DirecTV has a long way to go.)

A long way? They carry something around 200 now. How many are out there that they don't have?

Last edited:
A long way? They carry something around 200 now. How many are out there that they don't have?

I had another response posting from today that addresses your question:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/315365-Prem-channel-location-changes-7-31?p=3224947#post3224947

I don't want to give the impression that I am not generally appreciative of the high definition which had been added by DirecTV since the first half of 2012. These additions came from such programmers as BBC America HD, Cooking Channel HD, Disney Junior HD, Do It Yourself Network HD, E! Entertainment Television HD, Headline News HD, H2 HD, Independent Film Channel HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD, Nat Geo WILD HD, Oprah Winfrey Network HD, truTV HD, Turner Classic Movies HD, and TV Land HD. There was also that eastern feed of Ion Television HD. Add to it the totally new beIN Sport HD, Time Warner Cable Deportes HD, Time Warner Cable SportsNet HD, and Univision Deportes HD.

There still remains quite a list!

DirecTV subscribers, such as myself, should be getting some of the simple stuff that even Dish Network offers: Fuse HD, GSN HD, The Hub HD, Reelz Channel HD, Sportsman Channel HD, Style Network HD, Sundance Channel HD, We TV HD. And that's just a few! Galavision HD and QVC HD are two of the latest apparently getting added by DirecTV. That means DirecTV can also bring in QVC's chief rival, Home Shopping Network HD. And, well, DirecTV is capable of delivering more than it has. And I hope DirecTV goes well beyond Galavision HD, QVC HD, and the adult premium Playboy TV HD with what else may come during the remainder of this year.

I had another response posting from today that addresses your question:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/315365-Prem-channel-location-changes-7-31?p=3224947#post3224947

I don't want to give the impression that I am not generally appreciative of the high definition which had been added by DirecTV since the first half of 2012. These additions came from such programmers as BBC America HD, Cooking Channel HD, Disney Junior HD, Do It Yourself Network HD, E! Entertainment Television HD, Headline News HD, H2 HD, Independent Film Channel HD, Investigation Discovery HD, Lifetime Movie Network HD, Nat Geo WILD HD, Oprah Winfrey Network HD, truTV HD, Turner Classic Movies HD, and TV Land HD. There was also that eastern feed of Ion Television HD. Add to it the totally new beIN Sport HD, Time Warner Cable Deportes HD, Time Warner Cable SportsNet HD, and Univision Deportes HD.

There still remains quite a list!

DirecTV subscribers, such as myself, should be getting some of the simple stuff that even Dish Network offers: Fuse HD, GSN HD, The Hub HD, Reelz Channel HD, Sportsman Channel HD, Style Network HD, Sundance Channel HD, We TV HD. And that's just a few! Galavision HD and QVC HD are two of the latest apparently getting added by DirecTV. That means DirecTV can also bring in QVC's chief rival, Home Shopping Network HD. And, well, DirecTV is capable of delivering more than it has. And I hope DirecTV goes well beyond Galavision HD, QVC HD, and the adult premium Playboy TV HD with what else may come during the remainder of this year.

And there are several hd channels that Directv has that Dish doesn't. There are bandwidth/picture quality/contract issues that restrict just how many more Directv can add at this time. When D14 is up and operational, there will be plenty of room for those few remaining hd channels. That doesn't mean they will be added, just that they could be.

One reason that dogs don't care about TV is it doesn't look like TV to them—it looks like a slideshow powered by a dim strobe light. Dogs see the world at a faster frame rate than humans do. Humans' flicker fusion rate is about 50-60 Hz, meaning we see the world in 50 to 60 images per second. For dogs, that rate is closer to 70-80 Hz. As Alexandra Horowitz explains in her best-selling book Inside of a Dog, canines "see the individual frames [in TV] and the dark space between them too.” She continues: “This—and the lack of concurrent odors wafting out of the television—might explain why most dogs cannot be planted in front of the television ... It doesn't look real."

Not so fast, say the folks at DogTV. That may have been true on the old tube TVs, but dogs are increasingly able to see TV images normally. How? "New LCD technology," DogTV answers. "The refresh rate on the newer television screens is now 100Hz and up, perfect for continuous canine viewing."

Lucky my TV is 240hz.

DogTV reminds me of BabyTV with their music and images, it will probably be free for all customers once it gets less interested.

My dog is pissed. He was watching the dog channel. I had seen that look before on the old boy. No HD!! :)

To celebrate the occasion for all doggies everywhere....

14xjeip.jpg

How Much is that Doggie in the Window

My dog is pissed. He was watching the dog channel. I had seen that look before on the old boy. No HD!! :)

If I leave it on for my dog I'm going to have to put the TV on stretch-o-vision mode because I don't want a 4:3 burn square in the middle of my 16:9 TV.

Any "new" channel should be in 16:9 no matter if it's HD or SD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)