Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 11, 2006
Long Island, NY
DIRECTV to Carry Public Television Stations in HD
DIRECTV, Association of Public Television Stations and PBS Reach
Landmark Agreement for Digital Carriage in Local Markets Across the
Country Beginning Next Year
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 19, 2007--Public Television stations across the country will soon be available in high-definition (HD) to DIRECTV customers through a landmark agreement reached today by DIRECTV, Inc., the Association of Public Television Stations (APTS) and the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). DIRECTV viewers will have access to other Public Television content as well.

Continuing its unprecedented expansion of HD services, DIRECTV, the industry leader in HD programming, will include the local HD feeds of Public Television stations in its HD rollout plans beginning in 2008. DIRECTV currently offers local HD programming in 68 markets, representing more than 72 percent of U.S. TV households.

DIRECTV, APTS and PBS also will work together to develop new video on demand offerings to make available local and national public television programming to DIRECTV's customers anytime they want it. In addition, DIRECTV will carry two national standard-definition channels of Public Television programming, further expanding its commitment to high-quality educational programming.

"We are thrilled to be partnering with APTS and PBS to offer our customers award-winning HD programming from local Public Television stations across the country," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "This agreement is the result of a cooperative effort that will utilize innovative technology to deliver the highest quality local content to DIRECTV viewers. DIRECTV is committed to offering the best HD programming lineup available, and we are delighted to begin carrying programs of the caliber of The NewsHour, Frontline, NOVA, American Masters, the American Experience and award-winning children's programming in this visually compelling format."

APTS President & CEO John Lawson said: "This is a forward-looking, innovative agreement for the digital age. It means the great HD programming from PBS and local Public Television stations will be available to DIRECTV customers in every market where DIRECTV carries any local HD. We will also work together to make available a vast library of on demand content from local Public Television stations across the country. This is a great day for public service media in America."

"One of our foremost priorities is extending the quality content that PBS offers across the broadest range of platforms," said PBS President and CEO Paula Kerger. "We are pleased with this agreement, which enables Public Television stations to provide even better service to viewers in their communities."

The terms of the deal were unanimously approved by the APTS Board of Trustees yesterday and are pending approval by the PBS Board of Directors. The agreement must be ratified by local Public Television stations.

Information regarding the full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, which includes 87 national HD channels, and details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com.

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ:DTV), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to 16.6 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with 87 national HD channels - more quality HD channels than any other television provider. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed cable for seven years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.

About APTS

The Association of Public Television Stations (APTS) was established to support the continued growth and development of a strong and financially sound noncommercial television service for the American public. As broadcasters make the transition to digital, APTS is working to ensure the federal government continues its commitment to universal public television services and that those services are available across all platforms. For more information, visit Welcome to APTS

About PBS

PBS is a media enterprise that serves 355 public noncommercial television stations and reaches nearly 73 million people each week through on-air and online content. Bringing diverse viewpoints to television and the Internet, PBS provides high-quality documentary and dramatic entertainment, and consistently dominates the most prestigious award competitions. PBS is a leading provider of digital learning content for pre-K-12 educators and offers a broad array of other educational services. PBS' premier kids' TV programming and Web site, PBS KIDS Online (PBS KIDS), continue to be parents' and teachers' most trusted learning environments for children. More information about PBS is available at PBS , one of the leading dot-org Web sites on the Internet.

Jade Ekstedt, (310) 964-3429
or
APTS
Tania Panczyk-Collins, (202) 654-4222
or
PBS
Jennifer Daddura, (703) 739-5223

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

Cause you don't look at the front page. :)

HOnestly it was up there a few moments after Scobuck posted it. :D
Sorry, I did look there before making the post, just bad timing.

Reading the PR it's not a slam dunk that this will happen, to more groups need to approve it before it happens.

Reading the PR it's not a slam dunk that this will happen, to more groups need to approve it before it happens.

Maybe not a slam dunk - but all the parties must be pretty confident it will be approved.

Congrats to DirecTV for leading the HD way again in gaining carriage agreements. There have been lots of requests for the local PBS stations to come on board ASAP.

Its pretty Ho Hum news in this market. Our local affiliate runs more SD subchannels than you can shake a stick at destroying the PQ. Sure would be nice to get a national feed of PBSHD. It has some great content.

PBS-HD is a pretty cool channel lots of interesting shows when you have nothing else to watch.

Very first OTA channel I saw with my HDTV and rabbit ears. I was floored when I saw it..."No way... rabbit ears can't look like this!"

Here in Tucson, there are two PBS stations. One is dedicated to HD only, the other has 4 SD sub channels.

If Directv can get a feed of HD before it is combined with the subchannels, that should help.

The Seattle PBS station changed from 1080i to 720p a while back and throttles down the bit rate on the 480i subchannels. The resultant picture quality is better than it was before they did that.

PBS-HD is a pretty cool channel lots of interesting shows when you have nothing else to watch.

Very first OTA channel I saw with my HDTV and rabbit ears. I was floored when I saw it..."No way... rabbit ears can't look like this!"

Exactly digiblur! When my HDTV first arrived I went out and bought a powered antenna and used the onboard tuner. Holy cow I was blown away and started spending HD money like crazy :)

We have 3 PBS channels in this area.

WCET Cincinnati
PBS HD (Fantastic Full HD) 24/7 (not the same as local analogue channel)
PBS World (Good res.SD) 24.7

WCVN Covington, KY
KET 1 (SD 24/7) (Same as the analog broadcast)
KET 2 (SD 24/7)
KET 3 (SD when HD channel is not active)
KET 4 (SD When KET 5, 6 or HD channel is not active) This channel also swithes to HD
KET 5 (SD Part time low res) KY House of Reps when in session, otherwise a screensaver
KET 6 (SD Part time low res) KY Senate when in session, otherwise screensaver
---Translation 4-5 SD channels or 2 SD and 1 HD active at one time

WPTO Oxford, OH
Forget the names but similar set-up to KET. 4 active SD channels or 2 SD and one HD.

See ya
Tony

Same here. I would love a 1080I version. What I dont understand is here in chicago we have 3 pbs stations. WYIN, WTTW, and WYCC. Why cant WTTW be a full blown 1080I version, and the others do subchannels. Instead WTTW has one HD channel at 720P with 4 other sub channels, WYIN repeats the same subchannels. and WYCC has an HD channel with a subchannel but has yet to show any hd on it. What a waste.

I think this also puts directv well over the 100 hd channel mark :D... So lets see

In my area Dish offers only the big 4

Comcast offers The big 4 plus PBS, and WGN

Now Directv Offers the same thing as comcast. And with my OTA antenna I get MTN in HD and WCIU in HD. I cant see why someone in the chicago market would go with dish for now, other than big ugly.

Great I finally can watch Victory Garden in HD on Saturday mornings on PBS-HD again!
I had PBS-HD on cable, 2 months ago I switched to DTV, love it here, PBS-HD was one of the channels I missed dearly!
WooT, thank you DTV!
Now lets bring the CW network in HD!

here in Minneapolis we have 2 PBS's

KTCA 2 and KTCI 17
2-1 is the HD national feed (looks damn good)
2-2 is the local PBS (2)

17-1 is 17 (same as analog)
17-2 is TPT MN (Twin Cities PBS MN...shows Minnesota shows produced by the PBS stations in MN)
17-3 is TPT Kids (like the old PBS Kids)
17-4 is Create (same as Nat'l feed)
17-5 is 24/7 aeronotical weather

PBS HD is an awesome channel

If Directv can get a feed of HD before it is combined with the subchannels, that should help.

The Seattle PBS station changed from 1080i to 720p a while back and throttles down the bit rate on the 480i subchannels. The resultant picture quality is better than it was before they did that.

This is great news for me. KCTS is one of my weaker OTA signals. :)

We have 5 sub channels for PBS here. When the carriage begins next year will the PBS HD feed be the same channel number as our current local PBS channel? Example: My PBS is on channel 38. Will I see my HD PBS on 38 or will it be a national PBS feed like channel 384 which is the national PBS feed now on DirecTV?

I agree this is good news im in the philly market. My second tv is also hd but i dont have an extra hd reciever hooked to it. We dont watch that one that much. I bought a indoor antenna and played around with it and got 2 Pbs hd feeds the pq is awesome.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)