DirecTV to have 100 HD Channels by Christmas

Status
Please reply by conversation.
moonman said:
The sat. is currently scheduled for Sept 29th launch........
--------------------
SATELLITE -- Payload integration has begun for Arianespace's next Ariane 5 mission following the vehicle's transfer to the final assembly building at Europe's Spaceport in French Guiana. In addition to its two primary passengers - Australia's Optus D1 telecommunications satellite and the DirecTV 9S broadcast spacecraft - Ariane 5 also will carry Japan's LDREX-2 auxiliary payload. LDREX-2 is a 1/25 scale version of the full-size antenna for Japan's ETS-8 engineering test satellite, the company said.

Related? I doubt it. But who knows?:confused:

Last edited:
Reading into this, there might be a slight possibility that Ruppert has order to stop the LIL HD rollout and start getting more National HD Channels if he's looking to sell DirecTV to Liberty Media. Maybe John Malone ask Ruppert if you want my shares, get more National HD Channels, then I buy DirecTV from you. Just get the Churn Rate down. Churn Rate is way too high.

But like everyone else is saying, if you combine the current National HD channels with the LIL HD Network channels and HD RSN's, that would equal to 100 HD channels by Decmeber '06.

No, DirecTV is already way over 100 HD channels by that count.

Actually, if I recall correctly, DirecTV expects to have 68 markets available in HD by year's end. Since DirecTV is now at 39 markets, that leaves 29 to complete by year end. That's about 100 channels, as DirecTV doesn't put all four networks in HD up when they start service.

As I said before, D* currently has 145 MPEG 4 HD LiL channels and two full-time MPEG 4 HD RSNs, making 147 MPEG 4 HD channels at this point... if you factor in the MPEG 2 HD channels (11 national*, 8 HD DNS), it comes out to 167 different channels D* transmits in HD.
And that doesn't take into consideration the part-time HD channels!

*National HD channels
70 HBO
71 Showtime
72 ESPN2
73 ESPN
74 Universal HD
75 TNT HD
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HDNet Movies
79 HDNet
99 HD PPV
101 CD USA

Last edited:
Newshawk said:
As I said before, D* currently has 145 MPEG 4 HD LiL channels and two full-time MPEG 4 HD RSNs, making 147 MPEG 4 HD channels at this point... if you factor in the MPEG 2 HD channels (11 national*, 8 HD DNS), it comes out to 167 different channels D* transmits in HD.
And that doesn't take into consideration the part-time HD channels!

*National HD channels
70 HBO
71 Showtime
72 ESPN2
73 ESPN
74 Universal HD
75 TNT HD
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HDNet Movies
79 HDNet
99 HD PPV
101 CD USA

But you did take into consideration the part-time channels 99 HD PPV and 101 CD USA. (And, arguably, 75 TNT HD and 79 HDNet are part-time channels for Sunday Ticket.)

GeorgeLV said:
But you did take into consideration the part-time channels 99 HD PPV and 101 CD USA. (And, arguably, 75 TNT HD and 79 HDNet are part-time channels for Sunday Ticket.)
I only consider channels on less that 50% of the time as part time... that leaves TNT (pre-empted only once so far) and HDNet (pre-empted only last Sunday as of now) in the full time column.

moonman said:
------------
It does have KA capacity which D* recently applied for and was granted permission from the FCC.......
----------
ORDER AND AUTHORIZATION

Adopted: July 21, 2006 Released: July 21, 2006

By the Chief, Satellite Division, International Bureau:

I. INTRODUCTION

By this Order, we authorize DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC (DIRECTV) to launch and operate DIRECTV 9S, a Geostationary Satellite Orbit (GSO) satellite which will contain a Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) space station and a Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) Ka-band space station, at the 101.10º W.L. orbital location.

1.The DBS space station of the DIRECTV 9S satellite will be collocated at the nominal 101º W.L. orbital location with the DIRECTV 1R, DIRECTV 4S, and DIRECTV 8 satellites, where it will continue to provide national and local-into-local programming to DIRECTV subscribers, and will also provide redundancy for DIRECTV’s existing DBS satellites. We conclude that granting DIRECTV’s application for the DBS space station on the proposed DIRECTV 9S satellite is in the public interest because it will result in increased efficiency and capacity for DIRECTV’s DBS satellite system which will allow DIRECTV to improve its service offerings to consumers.

So who knows? Maybe.

Last edited:
When we were putting the story together for the Transmitter News about the 100 HD channels by Christmas on DIRECTV I understood it to mean the channels would be available to each subscriber since the statement was followed by something to the effect of that number is something: something no cable company will be able to do.

Chase Carey basically repeated Rupert's comment about the HD channels and when asked about where they were coming from he said they had a "team" working with providers to bring more HD channels. He said they are committed to working with the providers to enable them to provide HD content. Carey said once a few of the providers switch to HD broadcast then everyone else will start switching to keep their channels from looking worse than the competition's.

Just thought this might answer a few questions, or create a bunch more, either way it makes for great conversation :)

So the question remains is will DirecTV use DirecTV 9S, when it's launched next week, to transmit these new HD channels or will they use Spaceway 1 & 2? Another question would be to access the new HD channels, would you have to upgrade to the AT9 dish or would the current Triple LNB dish would do? I haven't upgraded to the AT9 dish since I need more than 8 outputs on a multiswitch.

Does anyone know what 2 RSN's are broadcasting 24/7? In addition, who is launching DirecTV 9S. I am wondering if we are in for a 2 or three month delay.

BarryS14 said:
So the question remains is will DirecTV use DirecTV 9S

This is a spotbeam satellite as an in orbit spare for the current spotbeams. Spaceway 1 and 2 are also spotbeam only sats. If anything is to be used already in orbit it would be DirecTV 8.

Satellite Expo said:
When we were putting the story together for the Transmitter News about the 100 HD channels by Christmas on DIRECTV I understood it to mean the channels would be available to each subscriber since the statement was followed by something to the effect of that number is something: something no cable company will be able to do.

Chase Carey basically repeated Rupert's comment about the HD channels and when asked about where they were coming from he said they had a "team" working with providers to bring more HD channels. He said they are committed to working with the providers to enable them to provide HD content. Carey said once a few of the providers switch to HD broadcast then everyone else will start switching to keep their channels from looking worse than the competition's.

Just thought this might answer a few questions, or create a bunch more, either way it makes for great conversation :)

Wow Cool !!!! :up :hungry:

bonscott87 said:
This is a spotbeam satellite as an in orbit spare for the current spotbeams. Spaceway 1 and 2 are also spotbeam only sats. If anything is to be used already in orbit it would be DirecTV 8.

are you sure its just a backup???? or do they have other plans...note: I dont know what they are doing I am, just making sure you are correct on your statement

from Dbstalk 12-14-05

"DirecTV Enterprises, LLC filed an application for authority to launch and operate the Ka-band payload of DirecTV 9S at a nominal 101 degree west longitude (WL) orbital location. A grant of the application will combine the Ka-band payload with a DBS payload on a single high-power hybrid satellite. DirecTV plans to use the Ka-band satellite system to provide additional capacity for back-hauling the signals of local broadcast stations for local-into-local services in additional markets. The FCC said DirecTV has begun construction of the satellite at its own risk, pending approval of the application, so that it can complete construction and launch the hybrid satellite in the spring of 2006."

BarryS14 said:
So the question remains is will DirecTV use DirecTV 9S, when it's launched next week, to transmit these new HD channels or will they use Spaceway 1 & 2? Another question would be to access the new HD channels, would you have to upgrade to the AT9 dish or would the current Triple LNB dish would do? I haven't upgraded to the AT9 dish since I need more than 8 outputs on a multiswitch.

Directv 9s is going to 101 degrees, they don't have any more capacity there, so 9s can only be a replacement satellite, they have no other frequency that they can transmit from.

DrummerSmith1 said:
Does anyone know what 2 RSN's are broadcasting 24/7? In addition, who is launching DirecTV 9S. I am wondering if we are in for a 2 or three month delay.

NESN and (I think) Comcast Sports Channel Chicago.

bonscott87 said:
Spaceway 1 and 2 are also spotbeam only sats. If anything is to be used already in orbit it would be DirecTV 8.
Here is what we do know:

1) D*8 has 1,000 MHz of Ka bandwidth. This is EQUAL to BOTH Spaceways. I can find no mention of it being either spot or CONUS, but since it does not have the "S" designation, I will assume CONUS.

2) Original plan for the Ka bandwidth on D*8 was to connect D* ground uplink facilities.

3) D*8 is at the 101 slot.

4) D* has now said they will have 68 LIL markets up by the end of the year.

What we, or at least me, don't know:

1) Can the current AT9 dish receive Ka from the 101 slot. Neither D* 10 or 11 are going to the 101 slot.

2) Are their legitimately 100 HD channels counting current channels, alternate coast versions of some of them, all HD RSN's, the new FOX HD suite plus a few other announced channels? Or reasonably close to 100?

Speculation:

1) Would it not be more efficient to use a satellite designed to connect high numbers of ground stations (Spaceways since they were originally designed to provide DirecWay internet service) to connect D*'s uplink facilities.

2) Was the rumor floating around that after D* had announced the 50th HD LIL market that they were done for the year TRUE? If it was, what changed to allow them to now uplink 68 markets?

3) I do find it interesting that none of the usual sources have chimed in much about this to either confirm or deny.:confused:

4) Rupert was drunk and had no idea what he was saying.:eek:

stuart628 said:
are you sure its just a backup???? or do they have other plans...note: I dont know what they are doing I am, just making sure you are correct on your statement"
He is sure! In fact D* requested to add some Ka payload to it and was denied by the FCC.

Just to add my 2cents If they would provide me with my hd locals and 10 more HD nationals I would be thrilled.

I did find the FCC approvals online for 9S.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-1493A1.txt

From what I am reading, it seems like the FCC **DID** approve the KA payload use on July 21st.

The first part reads as follows
:

1. By this Order, we authorize DIRECTV Enterprises, LLC (DIRECTV) to launch and operate DIRECTV 9S, a Geostationary Satellite Orbit (GSO) satellite which will contain a Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) space station and a Fixed Satellite Service (FSS) Ka-band space station, at the 101.10º W.L. orbital location.

And here is another interesting excerp:
5. DIRECTV currently operates a system of DBS satellites at the 101º W.L., 110º W.L., 119º W.L., and 72.5º W.L. nominal orbital locations. DIRECTV explains that the DBS space station on the DIRECTV 9S satellite will add to its capacity at the nominal 101º W.L. orbital location and is intended to replace the DIRECTV 1 satellite’s capacity at this location. The DBS space station of the DIRECTV 9S satellite will be collocated at the nominal 101º W.L. orbital location with the DIRECTV 1R, DIRECTV 4S, and DIRECTV 8 satellites, where it will continue to provide national and local-into-local programming to DIRECTV subscribers, and will also provide redundancy for DIRECTV’s existing DBS satellites. We conclude that granting DIRECTV’s application for the DBS space station on the proposed DIRECTV 9S satellite is in the public interest because it will result in increased efficiency and capacity for DIRECTV’s DBS satellite system which will allow DIRECTV to improve its service offerings to consumers.

If all goes well, I have a feeling D* is going to sneak something in before 10 and 11 next year. I dont think 100 (all depends on what he meant), but we may have something to be happy about. That would be a good Christmas gift.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts