DIRECTV to Introduce NOMAD tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why pay for this? While not exactly 1 for 1 I'd think buying a Slingbox would be better.

I'll be using my Slingbox Pro-HD, especially with my 35Mbps upload. No way I would pay for the NOMAD device when I can sling and do on-demand from my DVR. Not to mention I can sling to my Blackberry, which NOMAD will not support. Not sure this device will take off, but we shall see.

If it was a $39 item it would be one thing... but its way to expensive for what it does.

I can only guess that the price is high because of the hard drive it had inside.

Yawn...

Yeah why not just get a Slingbox or Vulkano? Actually the Vulkano is cheaper and has built in wifi.

Looks like it turns your iPhone/ipad into a "pocket dish". This would be great for people like me who travel, shows on planes and hotels with slow wifi. I hope dish will do this too.

When I was at DISH Network back in May I saw a working demo of transfering content between you DISH DVR and your iPad / iPhone. The nice part about it was it did not need any external device to make it work.

Will it ever be released? I hope so especially now that the Nomad is official.

I wish it could do both, live streaming and also video off loading.

There are many times when you are out and dont have cell or wifi such as on a plane (or in the case of Dfergie, deep underground), so off loading to an iPad would be a VERY welcome thing.

Why doesnt Directv give up?To me they will never have the cutting edge technology edge DISH NETWORK has.Dish always seems to be the first one to deliver
the best in new technology.I agree with Scott Im not overwhelmed with this Nomad either.The sling adapter to me is the best way to go.Just my personal opnion.I wish DIRECTV would
quit sending me offers in the mail.Im staying with DISH.Ive been with them since 98.

Why doesnt Directv give up?To me they will never have the cutting edge technology edge DISH NETWORK has.Dish always seems to be the first one to deliver
the best in new technology.I agree with Scott Im not overwhelmed with this Nomad either.The sling adapter to me is the best way to go.Just my personal opnion.I wish DIRECTV would
quit sending me offers in the mail.Im staying with DISH.Ive been with them since 98.

Does does have MRV yet?

Dish has just made a HUGE announcement with all of the Blockbuster streaming "stuff" with regards to video ANYWHERE on ANY device.

I see this as DIRECT's attempt so say ... "Hey look over here ... we can do video anywhere too ... we are just as good as the other guy."

Yea me thinks Direct launched this product too late to be competitive with all the other products that are already out there.

I'm really looking for something that will give me content in the car for the rear passengers. I have tried streaming with the iPhone to the video in my van and it is very frustrating and poor quality. Hopefully this will give the quality and content I am looking for. If it does, without restrictions, it will be worth the money (to me).

As for Blockbuster streaming...that's apples and oranges. First, the content DirecTV would offer would be your recorded content so it would/should be anything you want to see. Second..it will be stored on your device, not streamed. This helps on trips where internet access is limited or not available. I've tried to watch video travelling from Tucson to Phoenix. I have a strong 3g signal all the way, but the video is always breaking up. Streaming via Netflix, HBOGO and SlingBox is not reliable when traveling.

Yea me thinks Direct launched this product too late to be competitive with all the other products that are already out there.
nomad is just another one of those goodies that was effectively promised 5-6 years ago that isn't debuting until years later. The neat thing about DIRECTV2Go was that it wasn't supposed to require any additional hardware.

DIRECTV, Inc. - DIRECTV Continues to Deliver the Best Television Experience Available; DIRECTV Showcases Original Programming, High-Definition Broadcasts and Advanced Products and Services at CES

I'm really looking for something that will give me content in the car for the rear passengers. I have tried streaming with the iPhone to the video in my van and it is very frustrating and poor quality. Hopefully this will give the quality and content I am looking for. If it does, without restrictions, it will be worth the money (to me).
This is a good use!

While this device isn't perfect, I'm still excited about it. I had a 922 with Sling when I was with Dish. I don't have high enough upload speeds on my internet connection. So I couldn't watch any programming on my iPhone or iPad when I was away from home because the video quality was unwatchable due to slow upload speed. So it does have a niche in that particular respect. Second of all, if I'm on the road somewhere with no WiFi I don't want to have to stream that much data over my 3G connection and risk going over my data for the month. I like it when I can save things to my device and watch them anytime I want to and in full quality whether I have a good cell connection or not and without using any data. I use iPads mounted on the headrest for my kids in car entertainment so this will be great. I can save a few of their favorite tv shows to my iPad and they will have something to keep them occupied.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)