DirecTV to Launch Significantly Viewed DMA service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
charper1 said:
Thanks to the NAB YES, at least for now. Cable doesn't operate on the same rules, they are offered an advantage which DBS is seeking to even.

I don't see it that way. The significantly viewed rules were meant to put DBS on par with cable. Local broadcasters apparantly have asked E* to ignore the new rules. There's nothing stopping a station from asking a cable system for the same consideration. That may even have occurred somewhere, but the CATV guys haven't asked for a regulation to prevent it.

I think that a load of hogwash that DirecTV or Dish Network can't offer my ANY locals. I think I SHOULD be able to say "hey I can't get my local DMA on Satellite but the DMA next to mine is available on cable so I want that instead."

This should affect Saint Joseph, MO...we are on the edge of the Kansas City DMA, but satellite services aren't allowed to carry the KC locals...St. Joe has one teeny little ABC affiliate.

Can someone explain why this rule won't cover this?

GREED! Somebody must be claiming you. #201 http://www.truckads.com/Affiliate/St_Joseph.htm

If you have ANY access (didn't say acceptable) to local affiliates via antenna, which includes small repeater towers feeding you access, then good luck getting waivers for nationals, but in respect to getting your locals served via DBS, what is your zip? Iused 64501 If you have ZERO access to OTA then you should get DNS easy as 1-2-3.

Eligibilty review for the following:
SAINT JOSEPH, MO 64501
Standard Distant Network Service
Network Affiliate Channel Status
ABC KQTV 2 Grade A (strong signal)
KMBC 9 Grade B (moderate signal)
CBS KCTV 5 Grade B (moderate signal)
FOX WDAF 4 Grade B (moderate signal)
NBC Eligible
PBS Eligible

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service
Network Affiliate Status
ABC KQTV-DT Grade A (strong signal)
KMBC-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
CBS KCTV-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
FOX WDAF-DT Grade B (moderate signal)
NBC Eligible

Last edited:
64506, 50-60 miles from the antenna...

KQ2 is likely the root of this problem.

OTA reception is marginal, at best.

FYI, St. Joseph, MO is pretty much hell on earth...in more ways than one.

Last edited:
WILDCAT NATION said:
64506, 50-60 miles from the antenna... KQ2 is likely the root of this problem. OTA reception is marginal, at best.

Yep, and unfortunately thanks to the NAB and the affiliate system "ACTUAL RECEPTION QUALITY" is not their priority. They just want the claims for ad revenue. You could request a signal test to prove your case. If they are right however, you pay, if not, you win, they pay, and you get what you want.

So basically, you are telling me that this po-dunk ABC affiliate is what is holding me up?

Why can the cable company carry the KC Locals, but not satellite?

I know the newspaper and cable company in St. Joe are owned by the same company...now I wonder if they also own KQ2.

You can look up the ownership at the free FCC website; just search the call sign.

That ABC repeater service can be, YES.

Cable has been allowed to operate under unfair advantages for decades; some will dispute this, but it is true, and DBS (even c-band) has been fighting them from the get-go and cable is still figting back.

I guess my question is this...is there ANYTHING I can do to fight this?

I wrote my senators/representatives about it last year...heard nothing about it.

WILDCAT NATION said:
I guess my question is this...is there ANYTHING I can do to fight this? I wrote my senators/representatives about it last year...heard nothing about it.

Complain to the affiliate, the network, and the FCC. Complain about unfair monopoly of the affiliate model and not allowing the user to have a choice. Mention you plan on voting out reps that are pro-cable and pro-NAB and will vote in reps that support user choice.

I have been emailing back and forth with KQ2's station manager a bit, and she says I should be able to get all the KC Locals with the exception of the ABC affiliate, KMBC...I was not aware of this, and this was not the case when I moved here.

I really want to find out about this because I'm currently getting most of them OTA via antenna, but the reception isn't very good at all. Getting the locals in both SD and HD via satellite would be quite nice. I understand KC is supposed to be getting HD locals via DirecTv in the next couple of months. I want this...bad.

Well as long as the DMA lines stay as they are, you will not be allowed to get the KC HD. The station managers are tha LAST peopl you would ever want to get the truth from UNLESS you were trying to get info on buying time or on how to setup HD OTA to receive them free and then they SHOULD direct you to the station's engineer.

You are about 52 miles from the towers, so you could try a few of these deep fringe antennas to get OTA HD.

Channel Master CM 3671
Winegard HD 8200P
Winegard PR 7052

Last edited:
Ok, assuming she is correct that I will be allowed to subscribe to locals out of KC (except KMBC)...why would I be excluded from subcribing to the HD Locals (except KMBC) when they are rolled out?

They don't make this very easy. :)

KMBC-DT just happens to be one of them I actually get fairly easily OTA...Fox and CBS are decent, but NBC is virtually unattainable.

I really do appreciate your patience with me on this.

By law you will only be able to have access to the SD or HD locals (on DBS) that are in your claimed DMA. So if your zip is NOT in the KC DMA, then you will be out of luck. If your zip code is ever added to the KC DMA, then great! If there are networks that do not serve you at all you will be able to add those services via DBS via Distant Networks aka DNS. If any of your affiliates are owned & operated by the actual network HQ, like ABC, then you will get everything they offer.

Confused yet!?!

If ever, and when ever, all the bickering between DBS, the NAB, the affiliates, the FCC, etc is settled, and this product is finally allowed to roll out 100%, it is SUPPOSED to tell users (by market) what channels outside their actual DMA is considered to be 'Significantly Viewed' or 'Neighboring Local Channels' and will be added to their LIL services. This will be almost exactly what cable is allowed to do now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)