Directv to Launch VOD service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

LMckin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
Upstate SC
DirecTV would launch its planned VOD service. He just stated that the introduction would take place in "the not-too-distant future."

The VOD plans are part of DirecTV's concerted drive to ease its rising monthly churn rates by offering a group of new high-end products, including high-definition TV (HDTV) set-top boxes and home media centers. Besides producing greater revenue for DirecTV, Palkovic noted that customers who take a greater number of advanced services show much less inclination to drop their satellite TV subscriptions.

DirecTV is following in the footsteps of its satellite rival, EchoStar Communications, which has already launched a basic VOD service to select DISH Network subscribers. Called DISH On Demand, the service is available on the DISH Player-DVR 625 set-top box. Initially, the DISH offering is a movies-on-demand service, enabling subscribers to access hit films stored on the set-top hard drive. The cost is $4.99 per movie for 24 hours of access with pause, rewind and fast forward capabilities.

The competitive gambits by DirecTV and EchoStar come at a critical time in the continuing cable-satellite marketing wars. With DVRs now installed in at least 8% of U.S. homes, both industries are heavily promoting DVR-enabled set-tops to lure affluent, high-spending consumers. Time Warner Cable, for instance, has already signed up 22% of its 5 million digital cable subscribers, or more than 1 million customers, for its DVR service.

The DirecTV move also comes as cable operators, after some initial bumps in the road, report that VOD is proving to be an increasingly popular and sticky product for them. With on-demand programming available to some 56 million cable homes, industry analysts estimate that about 24 million cable subscribers now pay the monthly fee for digital cable packages with VOD services.

That is true, however, the VOD service with FREE showings from cable chanels is very nice. I had a change to use use Time Warners, and it is a nice feature.

Rental stores? People still go out to get movies? OMG, netflix anyone??

You'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me inside a blockbuster...

Purogamer said:
Rental stores? People still go out to get movies? OMG, netflix anyone??

You'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me inside a blockbuster...

The only way to guarantee getting a new dvd release is to visit a Blockbuster early on Tuesdays. Or you could wait 1-3 weeks on the Netflix new releases to show up in the mail. :)

I have heard that DirecTV's VOD offerings will be much more robust then Dish Network and will offerer a truer VOD experiance.

Not sure how they will pull that off, so its another case of wait and see.

Unless they can do it better they should leave it on the drawing board...

Netflix taking 1-3 weeks? Hmm...
I'll never go into a blockbuster again. The local store here got a bunch of copies of a game that I rented. They didn't rent more than a few copies but I eventually picked it up (I used to go in there 2x a week so I knew what was popular and what wasn't). Take it back a day early because it was due back on christmas, and a week later they say I never brought it back and charge me a late fee. Douche says he'll take care of it, but a week later it's still there. Again i'm told they'll take care of it and again i'm lied to.

Had to get blockbuster corporate to remove the charge. I understand it was dumb to get 25 copies of a game that's not going to move (which they should have known, it wasn't a popular title), but you don't try to screw the customer to make up that cash and I wasn't putting up with it. I don't trust them, and their selection sucked anyways, good riddance.

Plus they make their people work every damn holiday which bugs me. Anyone who needs to run out and rent "hitch" on thanksgiving should be shot...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts