DirecTV to raise DVR Fees and other DirecTV News

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Robert,

Will the rebate also count for the new MPEG-4 version of the HD-DVR?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Effective 8/1/05 the DVR fee will be $5.99/per mo. no matter how many DVR's you have, one or 10. You can mix DIRECTV TiVo and the new DIRECTV R15 DVR's and just pay $5.99/per mo per household.

The rebate form will be available on my site on 8/1/05 and is available for new and existing DIRECTV customers. The rebate will be good for the following models, R10, R15 and HR10-250, purchased form 8/1/05 through 11/5/05.

-Robert

I was actually asking for what discussions had taken place at Directv about the POSSIBLE changes you referred to in your post. I understand the upcoming fee changes.

pstineme said:
I was actually asking for what discussions had taken place at Directv about the POSSIBLE changes you referred to in your post. I understand the upcoming fee changes.

Well since I can't resist your very nicely repeated question I'll tell you just a little more.

As we know 8/1/05 DIRECTV will begin requiring a 2 yr. programming commitment for anyone activating a advanced product. Advanced products are any SD DVR, a HD STB and the HD DVR and HMC. After discussions with DIRECTV they agreed to not charge anyone who cancels early if they return the advanced product. So the two year commitment is waived if you terminate your service or just want to drop down to basic service before the 2 years are up. This is a major benefit to anyone who feels that they may not stay with DIRECTV for the two year term. No one has the risk of any early termination fees.

I can't tell you any more, because if I do... well you know I will have to kill you.

-Robert

I'm sorry if I came across rude, but I was trying to point out what I was looking for a response to and failing I guess. Here is the sentence I was curious about:
"However, I can tell you that DIRECTV re-thinks the DVR and additional receiver fees very frequently and we may see a change someday."
I was wondering if you were trying to imply that they had discussed a per DVR fee or a waiving of the DVR and additional receiver fees. Sorry if I came across poorly.

Question about offer

Do you think If I was to call and ask about this offer now would they honor it or do I have to wait till 8/1...I am thinking I am going to have to wait untill 8/1!!!

From what I hear in the future when the HD DVRs become available which will include both the NDS HD DVR and the Home Media Center they will have both a rental and a purchase option. Because of this change this is what I've heard so far about pricing.

Again this below is rumor and this rumor only applies to HD DVR products only.

If you purchase an HD DVR product you will pay the 5.99/month DVR service fee per account.

If you rent an HD DVR product you won't be paying the DVR service fee but don't think you aren't paying for it one way or the other. I say this because I don't doubt that your 14.95/month type rental charge will indeed include that DVR fee. Now with that said there aren't any plans to change towards a per box DVR fee nor towards removing the mirror fees. Now I can say that the NDS boxes weren't supposed to have DVR service fees but I guess that has changed once Murdock realized how much profit he had to lose.

If you want the truth I think both cable and satellite have slowly been pricing their customers out of the market and that will result in dropped customers when say Verizon comes around or customers dropping extra services. Everyday with BHN I feel that the value I get for what I pay is very little because I see no new HD channels or any channels for that matter to go along with that rate increase. This problem isn't just staying with cable anymore because D* has increased prices with very little new stuff being offered and existing stuff costing more. Even E* is charging an extra 5 bucks a month for those Voom extras (I might add those Voom channels aren't bad) but still it seems we pay for everything new or we pay for nothing new.

The bottom line is if I'm starting to question my 203.46/month with BHN (price is without their new phone service) I know many others are questioning this as well. The more I think about when the heck did cable TV go from 25 bucks a month all the way towards the 200s per month and climbing. You would think for that kinda money they would throw me a bone (a few more HD channels).

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
As we know 8/1/05 DIRECTV will begin requiring a 2 yr. programming commitment for anyone activating a advanced product.

Robert, is this just for new customers? How about an existing customer that has HD and wants to upgrade to HD-DVR. Will he have to do a 2 year commitment to get it activated?

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
As we know 8/1/05 DIRECTV will begin requiring a 2 yr. programming commitment for anyone activating a advanced product. Advanced products are any SD DVR, a HD STB and the HD DVR and HMC.

Activating? Or activating and claiming their discounts? I might want to pick up an R-15 just for the interactive features for football season, but I'm not going to make a two year commitment just to activate it.

lou_do said:
Robert, is this just for new customers? How about an existing customer that has HD and wants to upgrade to HD-DVR. Will he have to do a 2 year commitment to get it activated?

The 2 yr. commitment is for new and existing customers.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
The 2 yr. commitment is for new and existing customers.

-Robert

So if I buy a HD-DVR now, will I get an upgrade to a MPEG4 DVR or will I have to buy another one, when they come out?

Sorry for all the questions but I got a HD receiver getting weaker and weaker by the day (keeps loosing transponders and signal levels are getting real low)and I am trying to figure out what to do.

is this 100 rebate only for one tivo or for as many as you buy? can you buy two and get 200 rebate? can you buy one tivo tomorrow and get the 100 rebate and then buy another one a week later and get the 100 rebate? also, do you get the rebate when you call up and activate it?

$4.99 a month for the TiVo service is a great deal. $5.99 a month for whatever it is Directv is offering is NOT a good deal. Why they are raising the price for people who just have the Directivo and no R-15 is beyond me. They are getting closer and closer to E* everyday in their fees now. This is one of the biggest reasons I left Dish in the first place, that and the junky DVR's.

The most I want to pay for a non TiVo DVR service fee per month is $2.50. Comcast just bought out Adelphia and they now will be using TiVo for their new DVR's. I'll have to take a much closer look at cable next time around I guess.

I'm a current Dish subscriber and am thinking really hard about switching to DirecTV.

I currently have (1)811 HD receiver, a 508 and a 510 (SD-DVRs) and (1) 301.

Come 8/1, will I be able to lease comparable equipment from D*, including an upgrade to an HD-DVR? With minimal up-front costs? That would be the deal maker for me...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)