DirecTV Tripod Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JB884

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Hello.

I currently have a regular single LNB DirecTV dish that I use only for NFL Sunday Ticket that is installed on my roof on a tripod. Tripod is about 3 foot high and the pole puts the dish at about 5 foot in height.

The dish probably doesn't need to be that high to get over the trees but I previously had a Ku-band dish up on this tripod so since it was allready on the roof I just went and put the DirecTV dish there.

I'm thinking about switching to DirecTV and of course would need the Slimline dish for HD and all that. I understand this dish is much heavier than a standard dish though. My question is, will I be able to mount it on the tripod I have? I know I would need a bigger mast pole, but the tripod will accept a bigger pole so that is not a problem. I would really like to put the dish on this tripod if possible since it is allready there. I have heard DirecTV doesn't like to use tripod mounts with the Slimline dishes though. Even if I just used a very small mount pole, say 1 foot that would fit in the tripod, so the dish wouldn't be that high and create more wind force, would that be allright? Like I said I don't need the dish to be that high just want to use the tripod there.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
JB

JB... it is definitely heavier and its size means more wind resistance. But how big was the Ku band dish? I would think it would have been larger than the new Slimline, no? Mine is mounted on a D*-provided tripod but it also has an attached brace. i can empathize about not wanting new holes in your roof though.:cool:

The Ku dish was probably about the same size, but I would say a little lighter. Thats why I thought if I put it on a smaller pole in the tripod that it wouldn't be up in the air much where the wind could move it. I just can't seem to find the info on whether they will install on tripods or not.

If I had it all set with the pole and the guy just had to slip the dish on and allign it, do you think I'll be allright?

I would install it myself but DirecTV doesn't seem to be so fond of that.

JB

If you have a three foot tripod with a pole that fits the older single or dual lnb 18 inch dish, you can cut the pole down to 6 inches and use the adapter, like this one that a fellow installer subcontractor of mine sells on eBay;

DirecTV AT9/AU9 KA/KU Adapter for old 1-5/8" pole - eBay (item 150218239927 end time Feb-27-08 20:28:45 PST)

While 5 foot above the roof would be whippy, the current tripod will be fine, if it is fastened well and securely anchored.

We've installed more than a few slimline AU9's on existing tripods, but not high above the top of the tripod.

The current tripod will not fit the required 2 inch actual pole even if you can find one, but the adapter will allow the current pole to be used and the new dish to be securely mounted to it.

The two inch actual pole and the tripod that will accept it is expensive and must be special ordered. We often use a tandard 3 ft. antenna tripod, and customers can purchase them all day at their local Radio Shack for $35

Renters with apartment balconies love this setup.

It looks to me like Mike has the perfect solution. I may even buy the collet when I get the nerve to take a Slimline to my tailgate. Of course most of the people at my tailgate could care less if I'm getting HD!:cool:

Thanks for the info there Mike. That first picture in the ebay auction is similar to what I would want to do except with the tripod. Just put a small piece in the tripod and slide the dish on. In fact I think this would have the similar effect of installing the dish with the j-bracket and monopoles that creates a tripod effect.

While I know the current tripod I have will accept a 2" pole or bigger since it was used with a KU dish that took a larger pole that the DirecTV dish, I'm not sure how hard it is to find 2" OD pipe, so that adapter may be handy.

So do you all think I'll be allright having this setup and having the installer just put the dish on that?

-JB

On a related note, can anyone recommend a course of action I should take to upgrade. As I mentioned I only get Sunday Ticket right now, just have an old receiver and single dish. I'm actually suprised DirecTV has let me get it for so long without a basic subscription.

Should I just contact them and tell them I want to upgrade to full HD service? From what I understand I would get a dish and HD receiver installed for free?

Thanks,
JB

I've read through the old posts to find out what I can about tailgating with Directv. It sounds like it is possible to set up a 5 lnb dish on a tripod, but that it may be difficult (for a guy with no experience) to get it aligned correctly.

I'm curious what content I would give up by going with the single lnb dish (or possibly the 3 lnb dish) rather than the 5 lnb. I'm going to be tailgating on Saturdays during college football season and will have ESPN Gameplan and ideally would prefer to get as much HD as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WyattEarp

I've read through the old posts to find out what I can about tailgating with Directv. It sounds like it is possible to set up a 5 lnb dish on a tripod, but that it may be difficult (for a guy with no experience) to get it aligned correctly.

I'm curious what content I would give up by going with the single lnb dish (or possibly the 3 lnb dish) rather than the 5 lnb. I'm going to be tailgating on Saturdays during college football season and will have ESPN Gameplan and ideally would prefer to get as much HD as possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

WyattEarp

Well, most of your HD is going to be on the new 103 or 99 eventually, if it's not already, I don't know for sure where the Gameplan will be this year, but if you want then in HD you probably WILL need the new slimline as the others will not pick up the 103 sat.

Jimbo

Thanks Jimbo,

Anyone have any suggestions on low-cost options for tripod, pole and AT9/AU9 setup? Any other suggestions for insuring a good setup? Possibly a signal meter rather than using the receiver?

WyattEarp

Thanks Jimbo,

Anyone have any suggestions on low-cost options for tripod, pole and AT9/AU9 setup? Any other suggestions for insuring a good setup? Possibly a signal meter rather than using the receiver?

WyattEarp

Check the site sponsors for tripods and dish's.
The new slimline dish as well as the older AT-9 5 lnb set up uses a bigger mast, 2" vs the older 1 5/8ths, so if you get an older tripod type set up, you'll need top adapt the pole dimensions.
There is a person here on the site that has a nice adaptor for sale that does this type of thing, it basically slips over the old and you connect the new to it, works well and it is very reasonable, something like 5 bucks.

You can also check D* website for a tripod, they are listed under Emergency set up type of thing.
You may also find a tripod at the local Camping Supply places.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)